2 Post Lift

need4speed

It's 3 phase as it refers to different wiring configurations if o remember. You can buy rotary inverters to maker this sort of thing work on eBay.

Not sure I would want to work under a lift that I had put together from a bunch of bits I'd never seen working though !!

Cheers

Pete

I am always wary of things like

Could do with re-wiring anyway as cables just been cutted off when removing the unit.

that plus the box of loose bits ... :unsure: but on the plus side the current price seems good if it is any good.

On a four post lift you are supposed to replace the cables every five years, not sure about these though - it appears to use chains but may be worth checking as they probably ain't cheap.

Not too worried about the wiring and box of loose bits etc as im an electronic engineer on the railways, but the 3-phase thing i cant get around - ive seen those ebay converters and they aint cheap for what they do.... Oh well, i'll keep looking.

Thanks for comments.

Phil

looks , very much like mine , i replaced my 3 phase motor with a single phase motor , which was a big mistake , under load the single phase motor just does not have the balls and stalls then trips the over load , seriously considering refitting the 3 phase motor and buying one of them invertors off ebay .

they dont lift with chains they use acme screws and brass nuts , so load can be suspended as long as you want with no creep or fear of suddenly dropping , the chain in the base just links them together and if one side was to lift higher/lower than the other trips a cut off switch

I've got a 3ph to 3ph frequency converter. It's a pretty simple device and has a DC link in the middle.

Single phase to 3 phase inverters are available. You'd just have to make sure you size the inverter for the high start up demand of a lift. Most inverters have a % overload ability which will look after this aspect of running the lift.

That nameplate says 230/400v and 2.2kW. That doesn't mean it'll run on 230v single phase, rather, you can wire the motor for 230v delta or 400v star. Both are '3 phase' but wired as 230v Delta the motor can be run at full power off a single phase 230v inverter.

A 2.2kW inverter with a 1ph 230v supply starts at about 140 quid.

Looking at buying this

I need a single-phase lift as i dont have 3-phase available. Just wondered if anyone on here knows if this ramp is single-phase compatible as this guy doesnt seem too sure!

Phil

Just be aware that in the Land Rover Defender manual, they specifically state that two post lifts shouldn't be used.

Regards, Diff

I'd agree with that , have used 2 posters to lift coilsprung Land Rovers and RRC's/Discos and its not very stable. I now have a 4 post Tecalemit with the hyd ram under one of the wheel bearers . New cables are not stupidly spendy and being hyd if I wanted to it could be run from any hyd supply of the right pressure range, even a tail lift pump off a Transit would do it .

S/h 2 posters are notoriously expensive to rebuild too , drive nuts/leadscrews and bearing pads are all £££'s .

hth

Steveb

My local stealership has 2 posters in their workshops!

Here is the wording from the Defender manual:

The manufacturer of LAND ROVER VEHICLES

DOES NOT recommend using ’Two Post’ ramps

that employ four adjustable support arms. These

are NOT considered safe for Land Rover vehicles.

If vehicle is installed on a Two Post ramp

responsibility for safety of vehicle and personnel

performing service operations is in the hands of

the Service Provider.

Regards, Diff.

Eh, they're pretty stable. Just grab it on the chassis behind the trailing arm mount and just in front of the radius arm mount, and it won't budge.

Had the engine out of a P38 on one, and even with me in the back (looking for a bit we forgot <_< ) it didn't move a mm.

And it's incredibly handy for putting in new springs etc, no need to jack up every corner.

Just remember to lock the arms if you plan on doing any serious hammering or whatnot, but even then...

I tried my four post 3 phase lift throught a phase converter when i first put it in my workshop, it would work with nothing on the ramp but put a mini on it and there was no chance it was going to lift !, the converters loose to much power in the convertion i think, i now have a single phase motor on and it has work very well for 9 years. dont be fooled by machine mats claims there motors will not have the balls for a car lift imho !

Paul

I tried my four post 3 phase lift throught a phase converter when i first put it in my workshop, it would work with nothing on the ramp but put a mini on it and there was no chance it was going to lift !, the converters loose to much power in the convertion i think, i now have a single phase motor on and it has work very well for 9 years. dont be fooled by machine mats claims there motors will not have the balls for a car lift imho !

Paul

I would say your phase converter can't have been big enough for the HP of the ramp's motor. Converters may not be terribly efficient, but correctly sized and rated they are perfectly capable.

3 phase motors have a much higher torque output when stalled, and thats whats most important with a car lift.

If you do fit a single phase motor, you'll need one thats quite a bit more powerful than the original 3phase motor to ensure it will do the job.

3 phase is useful though, buy a converter, and you open up swathes of ex-industrial machinery like compressors, drills, lathes etc that are really cheap because the average punter cant just plug them in.

Alternatively you might be able to get a real 3 phase supply installed, depending on the area etc.

Not all 2 posts are the same! I think the trouble is there are some really flimsy ones about that I would be doubtful of lifting a lawn mower on! On the other hand, there are some very chunky ones that will lift a Land Rover safely.

I bought this inverter- which is a 230v single phase in, 230v 3 phase out (so suitable for Delta wired loads). It's 5.5kw (7.2Hp) and worked rather nicely. I had intended to use it as a spindle controller for my mill - but decided to re-use the original 5Hp DC spindle motor with a DC controller - so it's surplus to my requirements if any of you need a good quality, high power inverter!

Si

not sure, as i guess the 3 phase tarrifs might be aimed at high consumption users, which usually means a larger standing charge and cheaper units, which on a domestic basis would probably cost more, as you wouldnt use enough cheap units to offset the standing charge.

Clearly if you live in a big town/city in all probability its going to be stupid money to get it installed, however i've seen a write up on one of the forums i use (cant mind if it was on here or not) where the guy enquired and it turned out there was a suitable uplink point at the foot of his garden. He hired a mini digger and made a trench then got the leccy board out to fit up the supply. Did cost a couple of grand though when all said and done, but much cheaper than it might have been had they needed to dig up half the road etc.

Not all 2 posts are the same! I think the trouble is there are some really flimsy ones about that I would be doubtful of lifting a lawn mower on! On the other hand, there are some very chunky ones that will lift a Land Rover safely

Si

A local independent garage that I know well had 2 2post ramps fail due to wear and tear at under 4 years old - both were recognised motor trade brands , and rated at 3.5T . The damage was so bad in each case that they were both scrap , their 2 posters are now 4.5T .

I'm not saying that 2 Posters are rubbish , just that they do wear a lot more than 4 posters just due to the physics of it , hence why lots of garages have lifts that are rated at 3 times what they usually lift - most cars are under 1.5T

cheers

Steveb