which winch??

this is the thing im going through at the moment and it seems you either go second hand warn that you cant know how its been treated or for the same sort of money a brand new goodwinch tds one with warranty and its new or for a bit more one with a bowmotor 2 large drum and 125feet of rope! seems silly thinking about it. but looking at all the pics and vids of events they all have warn 8274s with twin motor top houseings and stuff

is a lowline winch such as the tds competative out in events? against the warn?

if you add the dave bowyer free spool device(so you only pull out what you need) I guess the pull speed under load isn't too far off warn.

Jim(gigglepin) has done/been involved with speed improvements with low line winches though.

The low line winch is a way of getting into it without spending silly money and if you decide to go further the low line is a good rear or center winch once you have a fancy one up front.

in my opinion the low line winch is more suited to being left on the front of a vehicle for long periods without use than the 8274.

I have bought loads of second hand 8274 winches ever and as long as you take into account that you are almost bound to have to purchase a new motor, albright and possibly brakes the rest is reasonably strong.

Jim stocks re-build kits of various descriptions so repair is almost always possible.

but looking at all the pics and vids of events they all have warn 8274s with twin motor top houseings and stuff

That's because a lot of challenge events seem to be more about who has the most bling kit than about what works.

I've seen and heard of people using TDS winches with success in challenge events, although I think it depends on the event. If it's designed to literally be a case of drive up, hook up line, winch up vertical hill, get punch, winch back down, and repeat, then an 8274-derived multi £thousands's monster will come out on top.

If however it's been designed well and actually involves some skill in driving, navigation and rigging, then any decent winch worth it's salt will be competitive.

tds is excellent especially if you fit the free spool.

And if it's one thing i've learnt recentally, the quicker you get the rope out the better. a friend of mine has a tds on the back (with davids free spool) and a twin 8274 on the front (no free spool. i'd sooner take him backward through a section as it's so much quicker

Before I compete again i will be invsting in a free spool as in most place's this is the difference now between being competetive and not.

The other thing to think about its that with a motor over drum winch (like an 8274) is that they can hold more rope and you dont have to worry about it bunching up and braking the tie bars.

But my view is a "normal" 8274 under heavy load (ie 2 tonne truck through a bog) will be about as fast as a tds under the same heavy load, and now days with an extra big drum on a tds you can hold the same amount of rope as a standard 8274...

8274 all day every day

Brilliant brake

Availabilty of mods to suit all occasations and needs

Ease of repair in the field

Every nut bolt washer, bearing and bush is easily and readily available

Speed, reliability, adapability,

I run 125ft of 12mm Marlow comp rope without any worries of bunching, could easily go up to 150ft if rope was cheaper......

That lovely clicking noise on recall tells me whats going on.......... think about it......

Bling does not even come in to it but brains do

we run a 8274 on the front tds on the rear. the tds is so slow compared to the 8274 if we could afford to we would be puting a 8274 on the rear and before you say it yes the tds has air freespool O and the grub screew that holds the rope is hopeles had to weld a bar on the drum to hold the rope in the end as it let us down to many times :angry:

8274 all day every day

Brilliant brake

Availabilty of mods to suit all occasations and needs

Ease of repair in the field

Every nut bolt washer, bearing and bush is easily and readily available

Speed, reliability, adapability,

I run 125ft of 12mm Marlow comp rope without any worries of bunching, could easily go up to 150ft if rope was cheaper......

That lovely clicking noise on recall tells me whats going on.......... think about it......

Bling does not even come in to it but brains do

don't get me wrong boothy I agree entierly, thats why I'm runnning 8274 front and back. But i've also come to realise not many people can find them at dirt cheap prices

don't get me wrong boothy I agree entierly, thats why I'm runnning 8274 front and back. But i've also come to realise not many people can find them at dirt cheap prices

I manage to drop on a few on the cheap quite often, just have to be in the right place at the right time as they say. Also the spare cash nocking around which i understand some people do.

On another note the tds is a cracking bit of kit and the freespool actually works unlike most 8274's

But on the "throwing good money away theme" how many clouds of smoke have you seen at events and playdays from these BARGAIN Chinese imports at £300+ going up in a puff of smoke, no spares available, guarantee not worth the paper it's written on ,"chuck it in the skip mate, and put it down to experience", for not much more and a bit of quality time spent waiting to pounce as Dan says on a cheap Warn 8274 because they do come up every now and then and are well worth the wait and money.

Take into account comp entry fee's and costs of travelling etc thrown away on a cheap winch because it fails early in the day, and could leave you in a awkward spot, then perhaps common sense says wait until your properlly equipped, and no I don't have a bad word to say about TDS/Goldfish winches belting bit of kit, just not my choice,

both my 8274's were second hand re-serviced models.

I sometimes feel a bit gutted for folks when these cheapo winches let go after a very minimum work out, nobody likes to see a blokes money thrown away,

so best advice is scan the ads and save up Pal, but go for a branded winch with full spares and a reputation, choice is yours......

Given that the OP doesn't have much money to spend and is just starting out I think there is a lot of merit in the earlier suggestion of getting a lowline winch that can subsequently be moved further back in the truck if and when the challenge bug bites has a lot of merit. A TDS would be my choice and you can add free spool and over volting as and when funds permit.

Boothy - the number of 8274 problems at challenges greatly exceeds the number of TDS problems in my experience. Having said that, there are of course a lot more 8274's there in the first place so not exactly a catagoric statement! Just wanted to make it clear that 8274's are not invincible.

Just to throw another one into the mix...

I have run my EP9 as a front and centre winch. It has never let me down and barring a couple of cleaning and regreasing sessions, it has needed no maintenance whatsoever.

My TDS (previously on the front and now on the rear) has burnt out a motor and suffers from rope slip due to the grub screw being useless. I have very little confidence in it at the moment! So much so, that I am seriously considering putting the EP9 in it's place in the short term and modding the crossmember to accept an 8274 in the longer term.

The 8274 on the front was standard (apart from the mainshaft and a +3" drum) last year and served us well. Now has twin-motor and Delta-Tek air freespool and still owes me significantly less than a standard 8274 would cost to buy new.

Bargains are out there... Just last week, an 8274 on ebay finished without any bids starting at 99p, so it's just a case of watching and waiting... Start saving now and by the time the next season of competing starts, you will have found one.

Hey Bishbosh, I totally agree with you that 8274's are not bullet proof nor anywhere near it, but they can over a period of time be made a lot stronger and IF treated with respect perform quite well in standard form.

But the beauty of is them is chances are that most can be fixed at a comp and somebody somewhere will have the part you need.

My good mate John Sales (Saley) makes the best winch I have come across for speed/strength/ cost, but I'm not a lover of hydraulic systems hence I use a pair of 8274's c/w with mainshaft mods.

I said earlier the TDS is a belting piece of kit just not my choice.

Boxers or Y-fronts ?

Blondes or Brunettes ?

Boggers or Simex ?

McDonalds or Burger King ?

Half full or half empty ?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ok so a few of you use the warn 8274 or sound like you have brought them second hand.

what are the main things to check on a used one as in not to give top dollar for something thats gonna need a total rebuild costing loads?

some iv seen have no solenoids or wireing. so any thing to check any pointers? have heard tings about the freespool lever bings a bit weak i think but any pointers would be apreciated

can they die from just laying around in a shed somwhere?

many thanks

I agree with chris on this and have myself learnt the hard way, 9 times out of 10 cheapest is usualy the most expensive in this game.By a cheap winch with the brake in the drum and melt a rope on a long drop and your half way to an 8274 if your still in one piece.

Chris tell em how much rope you carry on the rear winch, hardly worth having one :lol: :lol: :lol:

But on the "throwing good money away theme" how many clouds of smoke have you seen at events and playdays from these BARGAIN Chinese imports at £300+ going up in a puff of smoke, no spares available, guarantee not worth the paper it's written on ,"chuck it in the skip mate, and put it down to experience", for not much more and a bit of quality time spent waiting to pounce as Dan says on a cheap Warn 8274 because they do come up every now and then and are well worth the wait and money.

Take into account comp entry fee's and costs of travelling etc thrown away on a cheap winch because it fails early in the day, and could leave you in a awkward spot, then perhaps common sense says wait until your properlly equipped, and no I don't have a bad word to say about TDS/Goldfish winches belting bit of kit, just not my choice,

both my 8274's were second hand re-serviced models.

I sometimes feel a bit gutted for folks when these cheapo winches let go after a very minimum work out, nobody likes to see a blokes money thrown away,

so best advice is scan the ads and save up Pal, but go for a branded winch with full spares and a reputation, choice is yours......

ok so a few of you use the warn 8274 or sound like you have brought them second hand.

what are the main things to check on a used one as in not to give top dollar for something thats gonna need a total rebuild costing loads?

some iv seen have no solenoids or wireing. so any thing to check any pointers? have heard tings about the freespool lever bings a bit weak i think but any pointers would be apreciated

can they die from just laying around in a shed somwhere?

many thanks

I wouldn't worry about no wireing or solenoids as you will want an albright anyway, and the wiring wont be made to suit you or your vehicle. but 100quid max spent on electrics.

You will more than likely need a new motor - 300quid for a good one.

The rest of it, well check the 8274 casing for cracks etc, whip the top casing off the winch (3 allen bolts) and look for stripped teeth on the gears.

Dont let it hold you back tho, EVERYTHING can be replaced and generally improved and you can end up with a much improved 8274 for less money than a new one.

I currently have a 1980ish 8274 which i have rebuilt top to bottom for about ~200quid, its now slightly uprated over a standard winch and stands me at about 800quid. Im looking out for a bow2 motor now to give it some balls :D

Would a Delta-Tek style freespool for TDS's be worth developing? I figured out how it could work yesterday in a bit of a spark of inspiration!

I have an 8274 which I'm very fond of - it's a fantastic winch. But I also have two TDS's and and EP9 on other vehicles because they are cheaper new than most used 8274's and you can have one delivered tomorrow without spending months scouring eBay.

Si

Yes Please Si!

With the TDS freespool (air or lever operated), you still need to turn the gearbox when pulling the rope out. When you compare this to only turning the drum (as per the Delta-tek freespool) it makes a world of difference, particularly when you are struggling for grip anyway - We still often power out in preference to the freespool on the rear for that reason.

Mark

A combined twin motor and drum freespool end plate, sounds like a good product if it can be done for the right price :)

The TDS freespool might be just one finger(apparently), but it is still a PITA to get it off the drum quickly, as with Mark I tend to just pay it out on the motor.