Snapped 200tdi Timing belt

jcwcooper

My Timing belt snapped on Monday night :unsure::( , Ive started stripping it down tonight and im just debating do I take the head off or not? Ive taken a look at the thread HEREand looked a few other places and it seems that its ok too just fit new pushrods and timing belt kit and see if it turns over by hand ok???

So the question is do I take the head off and check the valves or will it be ok? :unsure:

thanks

Dave.

I had the belt snap on my Peugeot gti6 I had similar Optimisum untill I took the head off, 4 valves and a screwed piston

it is worth taking it off it will only cost you A head gasket and a head skim if nothings wrong it will save you more damage if something is uncouth

I had the belt snap on my Peugeot gti6 I had similar Optimisum untill I took the head off, 4 valves and a screwed piston

it is worth taking it off it will only cost you A head gasket and a head skim if nothings wrong it will save you more damage if something is uncouth

Yes but, i assume that it was a over head cam engine which a 200tdi is not

When I broke mine, I removed the head as your virtually there - If it fails a few months down the line you'll have to strip it down again.

So I removed the head, cleaned, lapped the valves in (which turned out to be really good) and also rebuilt the injectors. Everything was fine, but it was a precaution to remove the head and I had the kit to do the valves and injectors so I thought I might as well!

Steve

That was a petrol engine though, with the valves at an angle to the piston crown. In a 200Tdi the valve heads contact the piston flat meaning that the well supported and hard valve stem transmits the force straight up to the rocker without bending. In this case the softer pushrods bend like spaghetti. ...or so has always been my experience.

Chris

I've snapped two 200 Tdi cam belts and have never removed the head. If your engine was in good condition and not in need of a head gasket then I really can't see the point.

As has been explained above the 200Tdi is of a construction such that it will first bend push rods, then it will break the rockers and is very unlikely to ever bend a valve. The Peugeot engine is similar to Vauxhall and Ford engines of the same age that will bend valves as soon as the belt goes. I've had a Zetec where all 16 valves have been bent!

I've snapped two 200 Tdi cam belts and have never removed the head. If your engine was in good condition and not in need of a head gasket then I really can't see the point.

As has been explained above the 200Tdi is of a construction such that it will first bend push rods, then it will break the rockers and is very unlikely to ever bend a valve. The Peugeot engine is similar to Vauxhall and Ford engines of the same age that will bend valves as soon as the belt goes. I've had a Zetec where all 16 valves have been bent!

As a matter of interest how does all of the above apply to the 300 Tdi? Is the contsruction and damage from a snapped belt them same with the 300??

Charlie

As a matter of interest how does all of the above apply to the 300 Tdi? Is the contsruction and damage from a snapped belt them same with the 300??

Charlie

The block and head layout is the same on the two engines, so I would imagine it to be the same, although I don't have the same practical experience.

Charlie

Had this last year on a friends 110, i left the head on just changed all the push rods and checked the rocker shaft.

No problems since

Keith

Charlie

I gather that 300Tdi have a notch in the top of the rocker so that they break. They also turn the pushrods 'S' shaped.

Chris

• 12 years later...

So when I removed my front cover, everything looked good except for the snapped timing belt. My question is for a 200tdi, do belts just snap from age or might there be an underlying issue?

49 minutes ago, cjf said:

So when I removed my front cover, everything looked good except for the snapped timing belt. My question is for a 200tdi, do belts just snap from age or might there be an underlying issue?

could wel be age related , bend the remaning belt with the tooth towards you and look for hairline cracks , if you see these you found the culprit ...

other option (as mentioned above ) faulty tensioner.