How do i bend brake pipe without kinking it?

reb78

As above really. I have this:

post-12362-0-61977500-1299245132_thumb.jpg

I know it is a Britpart part, but it is fairly urgent to get this replaced and this is the best i could get.

And i need to get it to look like number 16 in this image:

post-12362-0-72268500-1299245588_thumb.jpg

The britpart pipe says 'corresponding to nrc 7801', so how on earth do i get it to look anything like it should without wrecking it! Do i need a tool to bend it?

As above really. I have this:

The britpart pipe says 'corresponding to nrc 7801', so how on earth do i get it to look anything like it should without wrecking it! Do i need a tool to bend it?

I think "carefully" is the watchword here, without trying to be flippant.

"Kunifer" (spelling) or a copper/nickel pipe is much easier as it is more malleable and very easy to work with. However, you would have needed a flaring tool to make the pipe from scratch if you'd gone down that route.

Have you got the old pipe to use as a template? If you have I would remove it from the vehicle whilst trying to retain its shape.

Straighten the new brake pipe out, it doesn't need to be perfect. Starting at one end tape the 2 pipes tightly together with insulation tape so that they cannot move. Bend your new pipe alongside the old pipe working your way gradually along to the other end. As you progress, add more tape to prevent the pipe from moving and to help retain the shape.

I've never used a pipe bender for brake pipes so I can't comment on whether that method would be easier, I'd imagine it would.

The above method works very well for me but, like I said above, I rarely use the type of pipe you've got.

HTH or an adult may be along to help shortly.

Mark.

Thanks. I cant tell what that pipe is made of - outside it is not copper coloured, although inside it did look to be copper coloured, so i dont know if it is copper coated in something? Just looked at some of the tools you can buy. I just know i'll kink it if i try and bend it without a tool - seems to be my luck at the moment!!

oh, found this on a google search which may be handy to people here:

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7939

I might make one and try it on a bit of the old pipe first.

Otherwise, are these the sort of tools you mean landymanlike?:

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.jsp?action=detail&fh_secondid=11247958&fh_view_size=10&fh_location=%2f%2fcatalog01%2fen_GB&fh_search=pipe+bender&fh_eds=%c3%9f&fh_refview=search&isSearch=true

I'm not sure using the one linked to above that i'll be able to do some of the very tight bends. I had assumed that by buying the part from a land rover parts palce, it would come ready formed and save me the hassle! Thanks Britpart :angry: !

Basically what Markyboy says - first straighten it out, then use the old pipe as a template to bend the new one.

To straighten it, unroll the pipe, then with a pair of heavy gloves on, grip it with one hand and pull it through your grip with the other hand, which will get it reasonably straight - that's hard to explain but it's fairly instinctive to do - imagine straightening out a bit of wire, just thicker. Then get a couple of blocks of soft wood, off-cut of pine or similar, and in each drill a hole which will be a tight-ish fit for the pipe, then use a tenon saw to make the holes into slots. The idea being that you fit the pipe down the slot in one bit of wood, then through the slot in the other bit of wood, put the two bits of wood next to each other and then turn one bit so that the two slots are at 90 degrees, so the pipe is now surrounded by wood. Clamp the two bits of wood in a vice and pull the whole length through from one end to the other, then back again. Do that a couple of times and the pipe will be straight as you like.

To bend it, get hold of one of these - they're not expensive and you should be able to get one from a decent local motor factors or depending on where you are in Herts you're welcome to borrow mine from Cambridge:

aut_sma-ben-tool.jpg

http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Product.do?method=view&n=1734&g=0&p=41135

Thank you all. I will try and get hold of a tool to help me (or make one of the homemade versions).

Andrew - thanks for the offer of the lend, but i'm down in Potters Bar, so, almost as far away in Hertfordshire as i can be from you!

Ditto the above, you can 'feel' just before it is going to collapse, just practice :)

Sometimes, having a socket to wrap it round can help, but I do like the idea of the two plates with washers between them :)

Perhaps i will remove the old pipe and have a go at bending that before i touch the new stuff. I'll record its length first so as not to mess up my template too much! I've tried to get hold of a tool this afternoon, but no luck and i wanted to do this tomorrow.

I'm presuming the thing i've bought is nickel plated copper as the inside bore of the pipe looks like copper? So it should bend ok?

Thanks to all for the advice on here. Try as i might, i couldnt get a tool so i did it by hand as suggested. It bent fine and i used a socket where possible for the tighter bends.

What a ROTTEN job though! It is the brake pipe that runs from the RHS front caliper to the LHS caliper. Land rover in their wisdom decided that they would fasten the original pipe to the back of the spring turrets each side between the turret and the inner wing! There was no way that pipe was going back in there - the clip on the turret was the reason it was leaking in the first place since it had caused the original pipe to corrode at that point! So i had to re-route this pipe into the engine bay and along the chassis rails across the front crossmember and to the other side twisting it around all of the other pipes and bits present. Dont want to do that again for a very long time! Bit at least the brakes are working properly now!

Thanks Neil, thats very good of you. I wish i had posted before i bought the parts now! I agree though - it would be much easier to do this from a roll of pipe rather than buying made to measure stuff - one mistake and the whole thing could be too short and useless!