BIG Diesel

Mike Brownlie

If you want a big diesel and a solid drivetrain, why not use landcruiser axles, landcruiser engine and the rest of the landcruiser to hold it all together? :ph34r:

Spose you could replace the body if you wanted, but it seems a lot easier to start with something which fits the bill as far as possible.

However, after doing a bit of research, I decided it was just to heavy and has a limited rev range compared to a more modern diesel. They do sound good though :)

No dispute on the heaviness, but the limited rev range I don't really see as a problem with the ridiculous amounts of torque they have. In the big US trucks they run behind a 1:1 transfer box and will easily do 70mph+, so I don't see a reason why you couldn't put it behind a 1:1 LT230.

As far as I've read, 300hp is indeed quite attainable, mostly on the later generation 12v 6BTs. I can't quite remember what you need to do, but there's lots of info on it out there.

Now, having the rest of the drivetrain survive it... LR axles will probably bend from carrying the weight of the driveshaft needed, so they're a no-go. I've read D60s are a tad vulnerable behind 6BTs, but mostly when combined with heavy towing. So you may get away with fitting Sals front and rear.

Getting a gearbox that fits and can handle the torque should be possible too, a ZF 5HP24 as fitted to the L322 should do methinks and it probably shouldn't be impossible to fit an LT230 to it.

No dispute on the heaviness, but the limited rev range I don't really see as a problem with the ridiculous amounts of torque they have. In the big US trucks they run behind a 1:1 transfer box and will easily do 70mph+, so I don't see a reason why you couldn't put it behind a 1:1 LT230.

As far as I've read, 300hp is indeed quite attainable, mostly on the later generation 12v 6BTs. I can't quite remember what you need to do, but there's lots of info on it out there.

Now, having the rest of the drivetrain survive it... LR axles will probably bend from carrying the weight of the driveshaft needed, so they're a no-go. I've read D60s are a tad vulnerable behind 6BTs, but mostly when combined with heavy towing. So you may get away with fitting Sals front and rear.

Getting a gearbox that fits and can handle the torque should be possible too, a ZF 5HP24 as fitted to the L322 should do methinks and it probably shouldn't be impossible to fit an LT230 to it.

Currently looking at a newer cummins engine, 150 bhp 3.9 displacement "paccar" engine not sure on specs as yet. Which is an upgrade to the 4bt

I've read D60s are a tad vulnerable behind 6BTs, but mostly when combined with heavy towing. So you may get away with fitting Sals front and rear.

You're kidding right? D60's are way stronger than a sals. Sure, the diff is basically the same but then LR ruined it by fitting their 24spline shafts :blink: ..

You're kidding right? D60's are way stronger than a sals. Sure, the diff is basically the same but then LR ruined it by fitting their 24spline shafts :blink: ..

A Sals with upgraded internals should do fine, but if you're going to do that you might as well fit a D60 (if you can find one).

I'm sure a TDV8 has been put into a Defender by someone, I know the TDV6 definitely has. Once the groundwork has been done by the relevant company then a simple ECU swap or some sort of adaptor harness and re-map would do it I'm sure :)

The TDV6 and TDV8 are Ford engines, not Land Rover :)

I'm sure a TDV8 has been put into a Defender by someone, I know the TDV6 definitely has. Once the groundwork has been done by the relevant company then a simple ECU swap or some sort of adaptor harness and re-map would do it I'm sure :)

The TDV6 and TDV8 are Ford engines, not Land Rover :)

thought they were Jaguar engines ?

AFAIK the 110 hicap in the vids is on a remote 1:1 lt230 with the truck box and normal axles, it will do 100mph :ph34r:

Loads of info on the 6bts over on pirate although i beleive the later duramax engines are electronic control 24v over the 12v mech version as on ebay.

No point having the truck auto though as a farmer i know built one of these and it just never drove right until it had about 4ton behind it then it was just right :lol:

Will.

With my 6bt landrover with 6 wheels a hiab and 3t all up weight I only used 3rd and 5th gears.

You can get different springs to change the max revs of the engine, not enough revs for 100 though

what transfer box are you using and how did you mate it up to it ?

cheers

Mike

divorced lt230, I would keep permanent 4x4 to spread the power around the axles and props.Gazza and wjet on this forum have done the same conversion, there is a build up thread on lr addict forum of mine and wjets conversion titled 110 owner

divorced lt230, I would keep permanent 4x4 to spread the power around the axles and props.Gazza and wjet on this forum have done the same conversion, there is a build up thread on lr addict forum of mine and wjets conversion titled 110 owner

I have registered on that forum and will look once I can "search"

It looks fairly simple though apart from props/divorced LT230.

Did you opt for the yokes or a flanged prop type shaft from gearbox?

The more I read about this engine the more it makes sense for my application, early RR transfer box gearing and (1:1?) and this should be ideal tow vehicle and still achieve 22-25mpg, its 200kg more than tdi lump but awesome torque.

No conversion is hard, making it look right and the dynamics and driveline angles are vital,secondly the cummins is quite capable of ripping a landrover to bits if instaled wrongly (A tuned cummins can snap a dodge chassis) Other than that fuel economy is better than a tdi if driven carefully and hills are no longer even noticed

• 11 months later...

hate to revive such an old thread but just wondering how Mike got on with the Cummins idea?

Ive got a 6bt 90 Pushing around 215hp and 3200rpm running the Daf/ZF box, LT230 1:1.003, 4.1 ARBs and uprated internals and 37" Tyres.

pulls well, geared for 115mph (in theory), reaches 90mph easilly and sits at 70mph at around 1800rpm.

LongLandy your hoses, how much are they? mine hold water but would prefer a better solution.

I used to work for Cummins and the 6B could easily put out 350 hp from what I remember, but after 215hp you need the inline bosch fuel pump. You need a big charge air cooler! Avoid the later electronic ISB engines as they are pants and need regular electronic injector changes.

If you want decent power/torque go for the C series (8.3L) or an 855 (a cracking 14 litre engine)

Toby