Rear spare wheel carrier

Hello people.

I've been carrying my spare in the rear of my 90 for some months now and i didn't realise until yesterday when I managed to get a heap of bikes in there just how much flippin space its actually taking up, so got to decide on a place for the spare. I'm running 265 75 R16 which aren't small wheels, I've looked at the bonnet option, I think it would fit, but not ideal due to weight and depth. I had a swing away carrier on the truck when i got it, but was pretty unimpressed at how it fitted up to the truck, having to drill holes in body cappings etc... which has put me off wanting to bolt another one of similar design.

I've spotted this one from Allisport My link and really like the design of it, its simple, robust and independent of the back door and body.

The problem for me is this thing costs a fortune!, does anyonw know of similar but alternatives to this at all?

Cheers

Mav

There are several versions of that type of carrier available but as you have already pointed out, they cost quite a bit. I think it is down to the engineering required as it hinges on a single point, conventional ones have multiple attachement points and are therefore lighter & simpler to construct.

i've got a gen LR swing away on mine and the got a 35/12.5/15 mounted on it and believe me that weighs quite a bit.

Mantec sell a good one,but go through a franchised dealer like "Frogs" and i think they're about £240.

i've got a gen LR swing away on mine and the got a 35/12.5/15 mounted on it and believe me that weighs quite a bit.

Mantec sell a good one,but go through a franchised dealer like "Frogs" and i think they're about £240.

the genuine parts one is made by mantec.

Going a bit :offtopic: now.

The original question was asking for alternative manufacturers of the type that bolt to the crossmember only and have no upper support, they avoid drilling the body / capping but cost three times as much as the 'normal' type (like the Mantec or WH ones).

• 3 weeks later...

i spotted that one ebay this after noon, ive started my own version of it for my needs will post up once its done

What hinge are you using? I've been looking for a UK supplier of a similar hinge to the Allisport one, but cant find anyone that sells it over here. (seems silly to pay transatlantic postage prices if i can find it in the UK).

hello

it was Paul Humphreys that bought the hinge here

the hinge is a good bit of kit and I think it was about £40 delivered to his door :)

Cheers

Gary

Thats a good thread and what gave me the desire to try and build something similar.

I've found the hinge here:

http://www.atozfabrication.com/store/Tire-Carrier-Swingout-Heavy-Duty-Hinge-Kit.html

and here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/swing-out-tire-carrier-hinge-rockcrawler-jeep-CJ-YJ-TJ-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem2eb4c7db67QQitemZ200601492327QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Just wondered if i could find it cheaper in the UK, but seems not.

Hello

No I don't think anybody in the uk sells them , I wondered about buying 10 no and then selling them on here or ebay , thought you might get a discount and cheaper postage

Cheers

Gary

Mucking around on ebay last night and i found these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250812429239&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

They dont look quite such heavy duty, but i've bought a pair to see what they are like.

Some expensive options, but anything well engineered allways is. Is there mileage in beefing up the door to take the weight of the wheel? Never carried a wheel on the back door myself, so not sure what all the problems are. I know a landrover wheel is very heavy though....

Daan