by 'eck, that were close!

rawsondsr

was using one of these on my angry grinder earlier to remove loose paint and rust.

post-1070-0-95831400-1306170517_thumb.jpg

All was fine, that is until it catches my fingers and skips across the rest of my hand. :o

twice :ph34r:

oddly enough, not a scratch :lol:

i think some thick leather gauntlets might be good next time!

was using one of these on my angry grinder earlier to remove loose paint and rust.

post-1070-0-95831400-1306170517_thumb.jpg

All was fine, that is until it catches my fingers and skips across the rest of my hand. :o

twice :ph34r:

oddly enough, not a scratch :lol:

i think some thick leather gauntlets might be good next time!

Evil things. Goggles and gauntlets a must.

Aaaah, wire brushes... went through about 15 of those and 4 grinders cleaning the muck & underseal off my chassis, picked a lot of bristles out of my face, arms and legs too. Gloves are a must with those, and goggles are a pretty good idea too.

Gloves are a must with those, and goggles are a pretty good idea too.

Personally, I'd put that the other way around - the skin on your hands will re-grow, the effect of getting a wire bristle in your eye is likely to be more permanent. I think of this and shudder every time I pull one out of my overalls.

Another opportunity for me to rave about air-fed full-face masks like this. An absolute godsend to anyone looking for good face protection combined with good visibility of the job, particularly if, like me you wear glasses.

Nick.

I'm a speccy tw@ so I've always got something twixt eyeball and grinder, not infallible though - had a very enjoyable trip to A&E where some chap dug about in my eyeball with two hypodermics to remove a chunk of oxidised Pontiac. Lesson learned though - now I don't weld other people's rusty sh*te :P

guy I know was using a grinder at work, the part he was grinding was in a vice, it only needed 10 seconds grinding so he didn't put any goggles on, that 10 seconds changed his life, a red hot fragment of metal went straight through his eyeball, he lost 90% of his sight in that eye, all he can see now is shape and colour.

Bad news

One of the reasons I gave up biking was it was 20 minutes before I could get on the bloody thing, it was much more fun when I was 17 when I just pulled a helmet on and got on it, as you get older you learn to realise there are consequences for those lazy moments

Had an accident with one of those flat wire wheels in January. Still got the scar, and I had both hands on the grinder. Didn't stop it kicking back at me and landing in my chest though. Was messy and I'll NEVER use them again. I still use the ones in the drill, but won't use the knotted wheels in a grinder again. Far too unsafe in my opinion.

And yes, I've served an apprenticeship, worked on the tools, done the grinding courses etc (none of which covered wire wheels strangely enough!). We never got given those at work and I think i understand why now :unsure:

My mate got done by one of these and the fact he had gloves on made it worse because it grabbed the glove and hung onto his hand that bit longer by the time it had gone through the glove and he had realised it was too late..... Took most of the skin that connects your thumb to your first finger.....

Not a fan of these either, but they do a bloody good job when there not eating flesh though. Tend to avoid them when doing irregularly shaped stuff. I am now experimenting with electrolytic rust removal with interest.

Sam

That can have it's own safety issues as it releases hydrogen gas....