300tdi with VNT or Td5

I'm in the process of removing the 4.6 v8 from my 90, I just can't keep up with the fuel anymore .

This will leave me with a large space between the wings . The truck was originally a 300 tdi and i have many associated parts still.

The big question is; do i put a 300 tdi back in but with a vnt etc or risk my sanity and convert to td5?

Thoughts on this please!!

Steve

How much will a td5 conversion cost? I only ask in case it would be comparable to buying a 2.8 tgv engine, which I would think would be a good option (although lots of money) since your truck was originally a 300 tdi.

One consideration here is fuel consumption; since that is the whole reason for doing your swap, I would look at that. The 300 might be a bit old fashioned, but its fuel consumption has never been bettered by landrover from what I know. Not sure what a VNT does here, but if you just fit the turbo without overfueling it too much, things could even improve.

Daan

you are mad. leave the engine you have in there and spend some money on a really good lpg conversion.

did i really just say that? me - the diesel lover - the V8 hater???

but it does make financial sense, a td5 and fitting wont really leave you much change from £2k if you find it cheap, thats the cost of a good lpg kit and more than a few tank fulls of gas. a td5 wont get you more than 25mpg in a defender, so think hard about it on a financial point of view.

you are mad. leave the engine you have in there and spend some money on a really good lpg conversion.

I'd normally agree, but what is duty going to do on LPG? It was frozen until sometime this year (i think), but IIRC, it is no longer frozen - if they chose to bring the LPG duty into line with petrol and diesel then you are screwed (twice - and not in a good way!)!

I'd normally agree, but what is duty going to do on LPG? It was frozen until sometime this year (i think), but IIRC, it is no longer frozen - if they chose to bring the LPG duty into line with petrol and diesel then you are screwed (twice - and not in a good way!)!

They've been saying this since I started using LPG, back then it was 23ppl, now it's ~70ppl, but still half the price of petrol round here.

did i really just say that? me - the diesel lover - the V8 hater???

but it does make financial sense, a td5 and fitting wont really leave you much change from £2k if you find it cheap, thats the cost of a good lpg kit and more than a few tank fulls of gas. a td5 wont get you more than 25mpg in a defender, so think hard about it on a financial point of view.

I would have to agree here again. I get 700- 750Km out of a tank of diseasel (95L) from the D2. And that's

driving like Miss Daisy.

Now I've never driven a V8 but I have owned a couple of big sports bikes and when you know you have the power on tap it takes a lot of self control not to use it :) Well for me it did! I'm not on about top speed but that feeling and sound when accelerating :) Not quite the same with a diesel.

Ok, so what MPG are you getting from the 4.6?

well I think steve has managed to tame the MPG some what... but out in Romain he was doing 150 liters to my 30 liters of diesel :ph34r:

But what about a 300tdi with propane injection....

well I think steve has managed to tame the MPG some what... but out in Romain he was doing 150 liters to my 30 liters of diesel :ph34r:

But what about a 300tdi with propane injection....

:blink: That sounds like about 5 or 6 MPG.... or about a £1 a mile .... I see the incentive for change! :blink: Excuse me while I get back up off the floor

:blink: That sounds like about 5 or 6 MPG.... or about a £1 a mile .... I see the incentive for change! :blink: Excuse me while I get back up off the floor

Yep sound about right, the megaS display was even showing a minus MPG when he rev it :hysterical:

But like i said steve's managed to tame it a bit and i think even managed the scotia weekend on one tank... unless he nipped down the fuel station when i wasn't looking ;)

My Brunel-tweaked VNT'd 300Tdi drinks a bit more fuel than before the turbo fitment.

Even driving like the aforementioned Miss Daisy (which is silly as the VNT is there to be used :D ), the economy is worse.

This, I'm sure, is down to the pump tweak. The original already-tweaked pump was underfuelling the VNT at high load and revs, so was advanced a smidge to stop the thing sounding like it had hit the rev limiter.

I reckon a bit more fettling could see the economy improve yet still manage the fuelling requirements. But Brunel did the tweaks and I'd only make it worse. For info, I get 25mpg.

Running hard, she'll drink like Olly Reed. But what do you expect with an extra 0.5bar boost and a shed-load more torque? Immense fun!!!!

The LPG option on a diesel is something that has always intrigued me, but the horror stories are offputting. It's used a lot on Landcruisers in Oz to very good effect, but can also be a royal PITA when not installed properly. A friend of mine over there took his LPG system out and left it for the dustmen to collect, such was his feelings towards it. But it never wrecked his engine and simply wasn't set up correctly. Would he listen?! Twit.

If I had the money, I'd fit a decent one to my 110 and get it properly set up. Then cross my fingers.

Leaving the 4.6 in and doing a decent LPG job is a good suggestion. I found my old 3.9 V8 Discovery ran extremely well on a quality LPG kit in Australia with hardly any power loss and still that gorgeous V8 burble that a diesel just cannot match.

Thanks all for the input, i know there are some real die hard v8 fans on here, but my decisions made and i've struck a deal to do a swap for a td5.

Moose is right, i have tamed the beast somewhat and for a big v8 its now remarkably restrained in its endless quest for petrol.

In Romania i had a silly fuel map on Megas$£te and it was using as much fuel on tick over as it was at full chat. Oh and at Scotia you didn't see me put two jerry cans in on the saturday night Moose :lol:

Any way my wife hates V8's and being as i like bedroom action it's got to go :P

Steve

Any way my wife hates V8's and being as i like bedroom action it's got to go :P

Steve

You keep your Land Rover in the bedroom then, everyone to their own I guess.

My TD5 has the mid box removed and slightly different rear box from what used to Scorpion, not quite the same as a V8 but it does sound very nice.

Am I the only one getting decent mileage out of a TD5? I have a bog standard 2001 110 which admittedly has those Michelin Lattitude cross tyres on it which I would say are road bias. Here's my fuelly page. Normal running I am getting around 30-31mpg with the major excursions into fuel consumption occuring due to thrashing it across Europe at 130km/h, fully loaded with a rocket box on top.

My link

Am I the only one getting decent mileage out of a TD5? I have a bog standard 2001 110 which admittedly has those Michelin Lattitude cross tyres on it which I would say are road bias. Here's my fuelly page. Normal running I am getting around 30-31mpg with the major excursions into fuel consumption occuring due to thrashing it across Europe at 130km/h, fully loaded with a rocket box on top.

Nope, you're not the only one. ;)

I got an average of about 9l/100km with my 90 TD5 on 255 muds, daily driver. Even with the 37s and used mainly offroad consumtion was very reasonable.

A mate with a 130 also keeps it below 10l/100km and I hear similar figures from other TD5 users, unless they are known to have a heavy right foot.

My link

from your link to fuelly, your av is 23.4 and your BEST is 26mpg, wheres the 30/31mpg then?