would 60sqmm cable be good for winch wiring???

landy V8

hi all,

i can get hold of some 60sqmm cable which i thought would be good enough for the wiring i'm doing for my challenge truck.i'll be running 2 x 8274 (standard at mo).

this is only going to cost me £3 per metre.

so before i go ahead and buy some i thought i'd ask your thoughts.

many thanks

Ralph

Resistance (or lack of) is the important factor, especially so if you're running a 12v winch. Some welding cables have a large cross section BUT also have comparatively high resistance per metre so will reduce the available power of your winch. Remember a powered up winch under load is akin to a dead short across the battery, the only thing that limits the current is the capability of the battery to supply it and the resistance of the cables/connections to the motor.

Naaa....70 is fine for a 'hobby winch' but if you were a serious 'extreme' off roader you'd be using at least 1000sqmm. It's only about 40mm diameter so easy to route - and it doubles as a roll cage! ;)

Just kidding - 70 is plenty!

Si

Durite 0-703-80 crimp tool is worth every pen

A snip at around £100

But if you are doing 2 x twin motor winches and a centre winch, isolators, extra batteries, etc it could work at a £1 a crimp just on one vehicle.

Get together with a friend and do multiple vehicles and we are down to about 20p per crimp and getting cheaper all the time.

It is also much quicker and less damaging to the insulation than soldering.

hi all,

i can get hold of some 60sqmm cable which i thought would be good enough for the wiring i'm doing for my challenge truck.i'll be running 2 x 8274 (standard at mo).

this is only going to cost me £3 per metre.

so before i go ahead and buy some i thought i'd ask your thoughts.

many thanks

Ralph

Blimey Ralph, where are you getting that from?

there is a trade electrical shop in Peterboro' that i used before when i needed to remake my battery cable on my Porsche 928.

Hmmm, might look in next time I’m up that way visiting family, need about 10m of the stuff, and not seen anything like as cheap available locally. What's the name of the place?

@I bought something very similiar to this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4mm-70mm-HYDRAULIC-CABLE-CRIMPING-TOOL-CRIMPER-/180612516845?pt=UK_BOI_Materials_Supplies_Electrical_ET&hash=item2a0d584bed a year or two ago, didnt expect it to do much good but, it came with a spare set of hyraulic seals, and has acctually done a lot of joints for various things. I think I paid less than this, but its certainly paid me back now! I always bare the cable, smooth with flux, crimp in the fittings, and then solder afterwards - never had any trouble that way.

oh yes, although an awful lot easier than using a hand tool, i find i need to clamp the fixed handle in the bench vice to be able to use it.

Hmmm, might look in next time I’m up that way visiting family, need about 10m of the stuff, and not seen anything like as cheap available locally. What's the name of the place?

next time i'm over there i'll make a note of there name and PM you there details.

if you know P'Boro at all there on Newark Rd,Fengate.Near to The Showcase Cinema.