Why do I flamin bother....

JeffR

I'm thinking of getting it designated as a Site of Special Scientific Interest

Noooooooooooooo!

Some bobbly would appear out of nowhere and tell you that you can no longer work on it, move it, or do anything with it at all :o You must leave the inhabitants to take over ownership of your pesky Landy ....but maybe that will help your stress levels :lol:

mine is developing similar tendencies, shipped off for mot today having sorted out clutch master and slave cylinders all else seems good. Hmmm bit of a chassis and rust issue has developed in i reckon four weeks luckily two small patches one at rear of chassis rails, which didn't matter before but now the tow bar is tested as well, you have been warned, one 30mm hole on chassis rails just behind front bumper and then the drivers side outrigger lots of holes. then just to compound it all the power steering pump is wet. luckily tester is gonna steam clean once welding done (i know but i ain't welding a chassis other stuff yes but not a chassis) and said keep an eye on it as he thinks it's the pipes from reservoir. only good result was tester uses a mate of his for all his welding cos cheap and reliable (does it as pocket money instead of doing overtime at work) but it did mean another bus journey home as child and wife gone to work

Well, here we go again, as I said earlier, the exhaust is sound gorgeous IF you ignore the fact that it hits the fuel tank and rear anti roll bar....

Easy fix you say, NOT. Standard LR exhaust hangers don't help (Have you seen how much them buggers cost?), so now I've got to fabricate something to hold the exhuast up, oh and can I find someone who stocks 3 inch exhaust clamps locally, can I buggery.

So I am gonna change the brake discs on the wfes 1981 Mini, thats therapeutic

Now the bloody Mini has joined in. F*ck it and the horse it rode in on. Swapping a pair of mini discs, piece of cake, not. caliper bolts have decided that they like it where they are and are not gonna come loose, odd squeek (as described by her indoors) turns out to be a trashed knuckle joint and top arm, ball joints are buggered (well might reshim) and then to add insult to injury I stripped the thread on a trck rod end.

And the landrover? well thats has gone into a terminal sulk and refuses to start. Got fuel, got air, got a big fat spark (incidently, just cos the blurb in the advert for your super dooper insulated spark plug pliers says the insulation can cope with the entire output from Selafield, it ain't necessarily so. Mind you, the fact that it was raining hard enough to warrant building an Ark...), yet the bugger will still not start.

I am beginning to think that it feels the need to sit this winter out.

i know how you feel, one written off, another has refused to play ball in the fact that ive had no brakes since september despite replacing everything and some things twice!

then when i do fix it ive got to get a brake light switch for it.

they are all the bloody same, having just changed tyres on daughter's C2, thankfully only 46 a corner, collected 90 from Mot with it's nice freshly welded chassis bits and fresh certificate then one of those quiet words from tester, "your tyres are legal but i wouldn't put money on that being true when you get home, but i've given you advisory" .

Was hoping to see out the new year on them looks like a set of Kuhmo's for chrimbo or Mr Visa

Bugger

oh joy, busiest time of year for wife's business (which involves me carrying around and setting gazebo up on weekends and generally hauling stuff to Christmas markets for her in my 110 hardtop. Changing out of 1st gear, wont come out, press clutch pedal in again-looses all resistance and drops to the floor-straight away I know its the clutch fork that has punched its way though.

Brilliant-pedalling to work for a week on my pushbike just as the weather breaks properly.

Finally sits down to order parts and my nice PC monitor dies completely.........now writing this and ordering bits on some 10 year old piece of junk monitor thats hurting my eyes.

Welcome to my world...

I think you mean Welcome to the world of Land Rovers!!!

This is everyones story, you have just been able to put down in words how everyones antics with their Landie goes. Its very well done and my wife has been in fits of laughter; saying "this could be your story"

Having just completed (well nearly) rebuilding my 90 i took it on a night exercise as support for local scout groups (7pm-9am) and as mine had been rebuilt it seemed to be the centre of attention from other Landie owners, as well as others.

One of the volunteers came over at the end of the exercise (young lad about 19) to where me and the organiser (Landie addict) was chewing the cud.

Young lad says " thats what i want, what are they like?"

The organiser then says "You will need bottomless pockets, for every hour you drive it allow for 2 repairing it, it will let you down just when you need it most, its not comfortable, its noisey inside so forget the radio or conversation, it will leak all over the place. Not economical with no luxuries at all. But I wouldnt be with out one; even though they are a piece of ****e"

The Lad then decides he might prefer a Vauxhall!!!!!

Keep the thread going though, as it is so well written; and yes funny.

The organiser then says "You will need bottomless pockets, for every hour you drive it allow for 2 repairing it, it will let you down just when you need it most, its not comfortable, its noisey inside so forget the radio or conversation, it will leak all over the place. Not economical with no luxuries at all. But I wouldnt be with out one; even though they are a piece of ****.

To be fair, these are faults that can and should be fixed, it's just that for some reason people don't because "it's a land rover and they all do that". I'm sure that 75% of all the land rover 'problems' are just down to a lack of maintenance in the vehicles history.

Agree with the bottomless pockets though :P

I would go one better and say 90%, the other 10% can be put down to the BLUE BOX syndrome! I get a lot of "but they are are carp on fuel economy", to be honest, even a V8 ain't that bad, it's not good by any stretch of the imagination, but my brothers diesel Ford Ranger is worse.

Most of the probs I've got are due to previous owners bodges/shortcuts and complete lack of mechanical sympathy.

What I keep forgetting is the damn thing is 20 years old and has had a hard life. Like most 20 year olds, it still hasn't decided what it wants to do with it's life yet. Mind you , if it carries on the way it's going, the rest of it's life is going to be very short and very very painful!

Well cant compare the fuel economy as ive only filled it once, as this is a toy.

But it does seem better on fuel than the wifes Mitsubishi Pajero, but then that has only needed a few minor parts in 9 yrs of owning it.

The 90 was bought as a cheap, quick fix off roader ( so i thought) it needed a little welding, rear cross member and had low oil pressure when i bought it.

sorted engine (after a rebuild) started on chassis, then realised i might as well replace that; after 3 days of changing cross member patching holes up etc.

Then you start on the "while its in bits i might as well do................." £3,500 later its back on the road.

I recently changed clutch and told my soul , " This is the last project". Oh and SWMBO said "Crossing fingers this time". guess what! The brake lights don't glow after I press the brake. And this is taking the flaming energy from me!

Once I nearly sold it for a 10 pounder!!!

The last time I had that specific problem was when I was testing the brake lights with the ignition OFF. Spent a day and a half throwing my multi meter round the garden and rewiring the entire ffing back end. Did go a fetching shade of pink when I finally worked it out. Wife collapsed in fits of giggles; bloody women, twas her flamin mini that smashed me fingers