Digital dash project

FridgeFreezer

Since there was a bit of interest in the Pi thread I thought I'd start a thread for my (probably quite slow) digital dash project.

The idea is basically to retain Series instruments and a traditional look & feel but drive them electronically from a controller board connected to the Megasquirt.

For reasons of uber-convenience I'm developing on a board from work (from an unrelated product), unfortunately this means I can't open-source the PCB or codebase (although snippets specific to this project should be fine).

The micro is a Freescale Coldfire V2 MCF52259, vast overkill considering the contents of the Megasquirt ECU but it's what's available and I have a working codebase for it already as I've spent the last 18 months or so writing it ^_^

There are 3x stepper motor drivers on the board, the intention is to use these to drive gauges. I have a YBE100530 speed transducer for the LT230, most other data will come from the ECU although I have a few spare ADC's and GPIO's on the 52259 I can pick up if needed.

The board also has a PAL/NTSC OSD chip on it, so I can tease you with this screenshot:

screen_1.gif

The grey background is replaced by any PAL/NTSC video signal so if you have a camera in your car you can pass it through and have an overlay on a screen or recorded for datalogging. This wasn't really a design choice, the board already has the OSD and I have all the code so it's the easiest way to develop stuff.

So far I have RS232 comms with the ECU and am working through all the realtime data conversions into "real" units.

Although I'm developing on a random board, the plan is to maybe spin a custom PCB that's better suited to the job, retaining the main circuitry but losing un-needed bits and bringing out spare IO for future use. There are 3 UARTS on board, I may connect a GPS to one of them to give a GPS-calibrated speedo.

First things first though, get the basics (speedo, temp, fuel, rpm) working and try and shoehorn the actuators into the Series gauges.

Interesting, I was just considering the other day what it would take to build a controller board that would take various inputs from a vehicle (coolant temperature, fuel level, speed etc.) and use these to drive a set of modern-day gauges such as those used in the Puma dashboard. I presume these are stepper motor driven by a controller using data from the vehicle's CANBUS, so in theory this would work. If not then perhaps they can be hacked about to add actuators the same as you plan to do to your Series gauges.

Look forward to seeing what comes of this :)

Can I suggest using RC Servos instead of steppers? They are cheaper, waterproof and have the driver built in just requiring PWM.

I've used them on a couple of gauges and a speedo by ripping the guts out and hot-gluing the servo in. You can get little servos small enough to fit in a 2" gauge housing.

They are almost ideal for being driven by a micro controller - they will even run on 5v.

Si

The company blu-tack no less. It's a temporary setup, I wouldn't be using that motor for a gauge anyway as it draws nigh on 2A and is quite chunky! The needle is only a cable tie too.

Why am I doing what, exactly?

I'm doing this because I want to put a more user-friendly dashboard back into the 109, but the nature of the truck means I can't use standard series gauges, and even if I liked the look of them, I'm not forking out full price for VDO ones. Reading the data straight out of the ECU seems a pretty logical thing to do rather than double-up sensors/wiring (and allows for more options). The board I have to hand drives stepper motors and happens to have a PAL OSD chip on it so, well, why not eh? The intention is that it'll default to driving the gauges and a few warning lights as I don't like screens in the car, especially at night, but the video output is handy for dev/debugging/bling factor.

Next jobs software-wise are to drive all 3 motor outputs, allow the displayed value to be selectable, and then add extra inputs for speedo pulses, fuel level, etc.

I'm planning to add a 4x20 LCD somewhere, as well as a few buttons, but that's glory jobs f'ron.

I'm pretty certain that Coldfire you've purloined has enough grunt to cope with a couple of extra duties... plus it's going to put you way ahead in the office 'Smoking Silicon' league table by the time you've finished :i-m_so_happy:

(Besides, I'm still busy with the worlds most accurate dashboard clock :ph34r: )