I just got myself a Pillar drill what else have I been missing out on?

I've been eyeing up air powered sheers/nibblers for cutting out shapes and panels in sheet metal - they would appear to be a great labour saver and a better option than slitting disks or hand sheers which curl the metal, but has anyone used them and are they any good?

Decent trolley jack, Bliss! Not big money, paddocks did one for very little, got me over the £50 freepost limit!

Got a great trolley jack, axle stands and various jacks (high Lift, Bottle, Air bag etc) so that's already ticked off I didn't think I was short on workshop tools I just couldn't believe how much easier the pillar drill made life.

Jason.

CAD, so you can get stuff lazer cut :)

I draw the parts I need and CNC stamp them at work after work, or outsource if it's too heavy for the works machine. I just had three 6mm steel frames cut and bent for £112.

A hydraulic press geared up with home made parts to do embossing and press braking would be well handy though :i-m_so_happy:

The 6" bench grinder is very handy, but an 8" would be better with a wire brush to fit - good for doing bolts and things. A drill sharpening attachment isn't expensive, and generally goes up to 3/4" capacity.

I'll second the wire wheel, I have one mounted on an old lathe and it's brilliant for cleaning up threads that have rust, loctite or any other rubbish stuck in them. One word of warning about 8" grinders though, some of the cheaper ones can have very unbalanced wheels so can vibrate very badly when you first turn it on. A good dressing of the wheel would normally sort it out though.

Last week I bought a face shield. What a difference in seeing. As I wear specs I've always suffered with a reflection in my specs wearing goggles. Also I've had bits find their way past goggles.

See that's exactly what I am on about..... I have used face shields for a while I have two one for me and one for the little chap when he is helping as I also wear glasses, I have a pair of prescription safety glasses (for working with chemicals) but as they were expensive I don't want to melt them with grinder sparks etc, in fact that reminds me it's about time I changed the visors.

Jason.

CAD, so you can get stuff lazer cut :)

I draw the parts I need and CNC stamp them at work after work, or outsource if it's too heavy for the works machine. I just had three 6mm steel frames cut and bent for £112.

A hydraulic press geared up with home made parts to do embossing and press braking would be well handy though :i-m_so_happy:

I think that's my problem, I have just had my rear storage project parts fabricated they cut and folded them exactly from my drawings as it's a work in progress I didn't go down the full CNC route for getting the holes etc cut as had not fully worked out that bit.

The work they did was great, and exactly to plan, they supplied the material (for cheaper than I could buy as a one off purchaser) cut it all out and folded it (side bits being fairly complex) and all for £280. When I looked in to it 2mm zintec would be £70 a sheet plus delivery so £140 for materials I therefore paid £140 to have it all fabricated. :i-m_so_happy:

To do that job myself I would need a whole heap of tooling that wouldn't get used that often, purchase material at higher than trade pricing and then still put it all together. I don't see outsourcing some of the work as 'cheating' or diminishing my project at all, I designed it, will put it together and to be honest I don't start projects just because, I start them because I can't buy what I want, so get things made to my requirements.

I was just really surprised how much difference a pillar drill made and for £20!!! I don't think a CNC cutter is on the list for the above reasons, but a Lathe may be one day and I will start to look for a reasonable folder.

Jason.

I'd love to see a picture of your £20 drill and vices, it sounds like you got an absolute bargain :) Even a cheap drill vice could set you back that much.

I really would recommend a drill sharpening jig for the bench grinder though, they only cost the price of a few decent drill bits and when it's a blunt drill holding up your project it's far easier to sharpen it than to drive to the shops for a new one ;) And think of the enviromental impact :P

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-axminster-drill-grinding-attachment-prod21271/

I will take a photo tomorrow and post it up, the eBay add didn't have a photo but as it was only 10 miles down the road I took the risk and bid, no photo meant no one else bid and I figured that the vice's were worth that so even if it didn't work it would not have been that bad....

But yes I feel I did get a bargain, why people list things on eBay without photos I will never know...

Jason.

My recommendation would be a fly press, something like this one ...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sweeney-Blocksidge-Fly-Press-Birmingham-England-/300688794667?pt=UK_BOI_Metalworking_Milling_Welding_Metalworking_Supplies_ET&hash=item460272e42b#ht_500wt_922

I use mine for everything from pressing bearings to folding sheet.

You can make tooling for heavy stuff out of any old scrap welded together, sheet will require a little investment in tooling.

With more investment you can punch holes.

I've been eyeing up air powered sheers/nibblers for cutting out shapes and panels in sheet metal - they would appear to be a great labour saver and a better option than slitting disks or hand sheers which curl the metal, but has anyone used them and are they any good?

The sheers are ok but can fight back, nibblers are better but the horse shoe nibbler swarf is unpleasant and can clog on aluminium.Ive got a old duplex nibbler that can eat 6mm steel which is handy when you dont want grinding or plasma sparks .

I've used the clarke air powered metal shears and they were next to useless, a jigsaw is much better.

My recommendation would be a fly press, something like this one ...

http://www.ebay.co.u...2b#ht_500wt_922

I use mine for everything from pressing bearings to folding sheet.

You can make tooling for heavy stuff out of any old scrap welded together, sheet will require a little investment in tooling.

With more investment you can punch holes.

Cheers Nick,

That looks just the job I noticed you can get a folder and cutter for them, I will add to may saved searches!!

Jason.

I think a fly press is one of the most useful tools. They take up a bit of space - but I wouldn't be without it!

Si

Go in any sheet metal shop, even the most modern aerospace places and you will see flypress in use, they can be a brake ,punch,notcher,doming tool, stretcher/schrinker the list is endless hence our indian friends made a point of buying and exporting thousands!

Got various ones at work and they are great, far nicer to use than a jigsaw :)