OT - Crisis Of Faith...

stuck

Took the 110 out today to look at a 101, now I've always considered myself to be a LR man through & through but parked next to the 101 & also for sale (some people have too much money) was a 2004 AMG Merc CL 55.

Well when the owner offers you a test drive what's a boy going to do?

F*** me the AMG was a F****** revelation, got back in the 110 feeling like a Luddite.

Decision time, 101 or AMG (they are similar after all ehm...)

hmmmm, I got me a nice R-design V50 for my general car and the 90 is for when I want to go back to caveman... (i'd be a caveman all the time if it wasn't for my pain in the ass job) the 90 is a the nice to have, but if it came down to haveing to loose the LR, the Volvo would be first to be sacrificed...

Do you want to be the nice guy that helps people by pulling there fancy Merc's and Jags out of ditches or do you want to be the toff that stands back as that nice guys pulls your rather dented german roller skate out of the ditch after you went and over cooked that corner you always made so safely in your Randy Lover... :i-m_so_happy: no brainer.

I know the feeling on having those feelings of straying from the familly.

we recently bought a nissan xtrail after our disco2 got written off, it is a better vehicle but i hate its blandness. Wor lass wants to sell the nissan and get another disco 2 - so i;ve been keeping my eyes open and looking at a few potentials....... but i went to see a merc ml500 on lpg the other day without telling her.

OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!! OMG!!!!!!!!

i am in lurrrrrrrrrrrrrrve :-)

it has everything, and i mean everything that a gadget lover could possibly want. And it was seriously, massively, face splittingly fast. and it handled beautifully. With LPG it works out (according to the fuel figures that were on its computer) to be doing an average in terms of cost of 25mpg. Thats only a smidge less than we got out of our td5 disco2 overall.................. i am seriously tempted.

Mother bought a TD5 disco 2...she wanted a LandRover for the winters and the high-level driving. Brother refused to buy anything else, and I said she should have a freelander...shame she didn't force it, he killed the disco, but he wouldn't have driven the freelander - he thinks they're beneath him......

Don't bother with the 101, keep your 110 and buy the Merc?

Bet he gets even less mpg than the 110 plus ask him what his insurance is on it. Plus did you find the engine? They put them under a huge cover so no more doing anything yourself. You'll just have to keep the 110 as well just to keep your hand in.

Malcolm

my other car is a Merc

What you find with a nice very fast car is that it ends up being a nice frustratingly slow car , or you end up having to take taxis as licence doesnt last long !!!

It is usefull having a choice of transport tho, as a change is as good as a rest ,

RE Freelanders, in my family we considered a Freelander, however, child number 4 didn't half squeal when put on the roofrack for a family day out....

We currently have 3 Landrover products (in various states of functionality) and our sensible car is a 1981 Minni 1000.

The latter is just about the best fun you can have with your clothes on. It'll out corner most other cars, sit happily (unlike the driver) at 70 on the motorway and returns 40mpg!

There you go problem solved, buy the 101 and a Classic Mini....

For those who want a LR but need the MPG, buy a Freelander, people seem to ignore them but most people who've discovered the secret love them. Like owning a Disco but with an extra 10mpg.

but they are woefully short on interior space considering their external size!

I was shocked and stunned at how pitiful the boot is! Our xtrail is about 6" longer than a 5 door freeby, yet it has more space inside than a disco 2 (all the disco2 rubber mats got transfered to the xtrail and they arent big enough, none of them are!)

Compare the xtrail to a freeby and its like squeezing into an mx5!!!!!!!!

awful ergonomics, no head room if its got a sunroof, almost no elbow room, boot is rubbish, rear seats cramped - list goes on.

Dont get me wrong, i aint a freeby hater. When the disco2 got written off, our first job was to go test drive 3 different freebies, lwb v6 and td4 and a swb petrol. Seriously dissapointed with all 3, slow and gutless and cramped.

there are so many more better softroaders out there, but the freeby still sells because of the badge. Now a FL2....... ooooooh yes! but thats basically the size of an old disco anyway!

MPG isn't everything you know!

101 - lots of fun, nice sound track, very thirsty, not that fast, good for pulling trailers

AMG CL55 Merc (would rather an ML55 though) - bound to be fun (in a different way), nice sound track, thirsty, fast, good for pulling crumpet

So Mr Stuck, you're right, they are similar :rofl: