Lending out equipment

Loaning out my trailer  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Would you lend someone the trailer if it was yours?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

TBH with the information you have just provided I would loan the trailer to him.

I don't think people are specifically judging on how much money someone has but judge on their ability to sort out any problems they cause..... insurance is one way to guarantee this. :)

Personally I wouldn't ask for the deposit.

The other thing is - whatever you lend, or own, it's just a thing! Call me a Hippy - but I think people get too caught up with possessions. On the whole, I don't care if I know someone particularly well - I just judge them on how I find them but I'll lend just about anything to anybody. All you have to loose is the thing itself - but you have the potential to gain a new friend. That's far more valuable. Also, you gain someone who will probably lend you something when you need it without worrying too much that you will break it!

I know this is a minority point of view - but it has served me well. It also means that if I have something stolen - I can just shrug my shoulders and remember that I still have everything important!

I might not be quite as charitable if someone wanted to borrow Dr Sarah though ;)

Si

The other thing is - whatever you lend, or own, it's just a thing! Call me a Hippy - but I think people get too caught up with possessions. On the whole, I don't care if I know someone particularly well - I just judge them on how I find them but I'll lend just about anything to anybody. All you have to loose is the thing itself - but you have the potential to gain a new friend. That's far more valuable. Also, you gain someone who will probably lend you something when you need it without worrying too much that you will break it!

I know this is a minority point of view - but it has served me well. It also means that if I have something stolen - I can just shrug my shoulders and remember that I still have everything important!

I might not be quite as charitable if someone wanted to borrow Dr Sarah though ;)

Si

I was about to say what if someone asked to borrow the wife :lol:

having been in the position where i have lent people kit and nevr had it returned, (volvo owners club members mainly) i would say do as i have had to do, go and buy your own,, or words to that effect. ron, .

Lent my trailer out - it came back with scrubbed tyres from reversing with the lock on

Lent my welder out and it came back with FA gas and all the tips and nozzles gone.

Was asked to lend my Series 1 - and luckily didn't lend it - knowing who it was the thing would of been on the red line a fair bit, though the engine is barely run in.

So my advice is don't bother because you will end up disappointed!!!

I'm firmly in the hippie camp; i'd rather lose the odd tool or bit of cash than live in a world where no one trusts anyone. Also, I see things like Land Rovers in the same way I see whisky - much more enjoyable when shared with a fellow appreciator!

I don't mind lending stuff out on 3 conditions

1) they always ask

2) they bring it back when they are finished and put it back where it was so I can find it next time I want it

3) if they fk it up they replace it

Sadly my experience of most people is that you are lucky to get 1 of the three never mind all of them, so I usually don't bother!

I'm firmly in the hippie camp; i'd rather lose the odd tool or bit of cash than live in a world where no one trusts anyone. Also, I see things like Land Rovers in the same way I see whisky - much more enjoyable when shared with a fellow appreciator!

I'd love to think like that, but I can't afford someone to borrow something and break it/not replace it. I've worked hard for what I have and I'm not going to let someone else screw it up.

I do lend stuff out but I am very careful as to what it is and to who it goes.

I'd love to think like that, but I can't afford someone to borrow something and break it/not replace it. I've worked hard for what I have and I'm not going to let someone else screw it up.

I do lend stuff out but I am very careful as to what it is and to who it goes.

I do know what you mean and I certainly don't have money to throw around, I just think that if more people were less precious with their stuff then you wouldn't have to work hard to buy every item you need because you could borrow, say, a tool you'll rarely use from a friend and spend a bit of the saving buying them a beer by way of thanks.

I'm probably being a bit idealistic or even naive but I just can't see any long term good for any of us to be the other way.

Thanks for all your replies guys, I have decided that I will loan the trailer out, it was never about the cash so I am covering the insurance as part of the £250. If you see my trailer in Wales next week let me know!!!

Personally I don't fancy the weather and convincing his other half may be the biggest challenge he faces next week!!

Jason.

The world would be a very sad place if no-one ever lent anything out. A little trust goes a long way.

I've borrowed tools from others before, I would be mortified if I broke it and wouldn't hesitate to remunerate the owner! The trick of course as the lender is to decide whether you trust the lendee to make the same commitment. I know plenty of people I would happily lend pretty much anything I own to, but also a fair few I wouldn't lend anything to!

I know I'm very late to the party on this one, but I pride/delude myself that if I borrow something, I return in better condition that when I borrowed it.

Trailers are a classic example: replace the odd light bulb here, correctly adjust+grease the brakes there. I'm lucky though, in that my trailer-owning mate isn't very mechanically minded, and I suspect views me borrowing stuff as part of his preventative maintenence program!

This obviously isn't case with you Jason, as you have completed a ground-up build! But 'you bend it you mend it' in this case means 'you bend it, you pay for me to mend it'.

Matt

An overlooked issue is, does he have a licence that covers trailers? I know od someone who lent his Disco and trailer to someone. The lendee wrote off both, and then confessed that he didnt have a licence at all, let alone one that includes towing. Remember, some of us older knackers have automatic trailer licences, some young wippersnapper types do not. And legally, not checling makes the lender responsible too!

The chap in question is the same age as me (38) and has trailer on his licence, the trailer is gone which is strange as it's not in the garden!! Hopefully it will come back in one piece!!

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update on this, trailer went, trailer came back, cleaner than it went with an extra 3/4 full gas bottle and no issues, I am really glad I lent it out as Steve is now going to look at getting one for himself (probably going to buy one) his family really enjoyed the experience and his wife is now converted to Land Rover based holidays.

Jason.