Battery Drills / Keyless Chucks

stuck

Right,

Tonights rant is about battery drills that ruin expensive HSS drill bits!

I have a 18V Dewalt battery drill with the ubiquitous keyless chuck and I'm sick of it trashing the shanks of drill bits every time it encounters the slightest bit of resistance.

Has anybody managed to find a quality battery drill that is either fitted with a traditional Jacobs' chuck or has a keyless chuck that can stand up to the torque of the motor?

Ta,

Mick.

I assure you that I'm not.

It is however possible that my chuck is knackered as it's hard to tighten & undo.

Edit: it has trashed drill bit shanks from new so I don't think it's down to abuse.

At work we have a cheap Ryobi that is gutless but I never stall it (others do) so I don't think it's me being too aggressive with it.

I will ask the daft question.....

Has the inside of your chuck when fully open got a screw that holds the keyless chuck onto the end of the drill motor shaft??

If so, change it for a keyed chuck....

This may not be an option on battery drills, but not knowing the dewalt, and having owned (once before it was nicked), a 24v Bosch SBS plus, which had a removable / replaceable chuck I would check with the chuck fully open...

Never had an issue with Makita keyless chucks but to be honest whenever I'm drilling metal tend to use a pillar drill if possible - otherwise drill is on very low speed so reaction time should be ample to stop the drill before things start getting ruined. I know my Makita has variable torque so you can always tweak it that way.

..... It is however possible that my chuck is knackered as it's hard to tighten & undo. .....

I think you have captured the cause there. When you 'torque' the chuck onto the bit you are losing some of the tightening force overcoming the friction of the chuck. So the chuck doesn't grip the drill bit very tightly.

Another way of expressing that is to imagine you need to tighten a nut to 50lbf-ft to give the correct clamping force.

The stud is rusty, or has a damaged thread, and the old nut is in a similar state. For whatever reason, it takes 10lbf-ft to turn the nut on the stud, before it starts to clamp. When you do tighten it to 50 lbf-ft only 40 is going into clamping the fixture, the other 10 was 'wasted' simply overcoming the friction on the thread.

Somewhat oversimplified, but I hope it illustrates the point.

Soak the chuck in WD40 (or similar), or buy a new chuck that works properly. :-)

Cheers.

I change Makita keyless chucks about once a year but the traditional chucks last almost forever.. but the convenience of keyless makes it worth while to me.

Like most tools the jaws in the chuck do wear and once you pick up on a drill shank it gets slowly worse.

Try a new chuck which will not be expensive - remember the screw in the middle is left hand thread.

We used Makita and Dewalt at work. Makita plastic chucks are rubbish, couldn't get them tight enough not to slip. Dewalt on teh other hand supplied metal chucks and they were easier and actually seemed to tighten more rather than slip.

If yours is plastic I'd definiately get a metal keyless chuck from Jacobs (that's who makes them for Dewalt).

As above, I've got a decent dewalt 18v drill and always found the chuck to be excellent. But this was a high end dewalt with metal Rohm chuck. The cheaper dewalt drills with nicad batteries and plastic chucks are built to a much lower spec...

I'd change the chuck for a decent branded one.

I've also got a keyless chuck on my corded Bosch drill and that is terrible for releasing & slipping. Must change it....

Right,

Tonights rant is about battery drills that ruin expensive HSS drill bits!

I have a 18V Dewalt battery drill with the ubiquitous keyless chuck and I'm sick of it trashing the shanks of drill bits every time it encounters the slightest bit of resistance.

Has anybody managed to find a quality battery drill that is either fitted with a traditional Jacobs' chuck or has a keyless chuck that can stand up to the torque of the motor?

Ta,

Mick.

Sorry to hijack but when you say trashing bits (beware stupid question on its way) what does it do, score the shank?

The reason I ask is I get the chuck slipping with my cordless and have just thought I hadn't used enough umph when tightening it up but embarrassingly didn't notice it knackered bits :unsure::( .....

J

• 3 weeks later...

Yes J2J it can score the hell out of the shank.

I have a Hitachi cordless that does just this, chuck is plastic outer but steel inner. No matter how hard I tighten it the drills still slip with moderate effort.

My previous Atlas Copco drill had the excellent steel bodied Rohm chuck. I can't ever recall that slipping.