Which sat-nav app for iapple i-pod touch

M&S

Hi all,

I've got an i-pod touch and tom-tom gps receiver cradle for it so now I just need an app.

I have seen city navigator which looks very good in that I can move the route and see the full map just like using google maps - so I can plot my preferred route when starting.

Just wondering what peoples thoughts were about it if you are using it?

Or can you recommend another? Tom-toms own is twice the price. The AA do one which looks like city navigator.

It MUST be able to run without internet or wi-fi or 3g or whatever. Needs to operate as a standalone system.

If I can input grid references as well as postcodes that would be really cool, but not essential.

So, any recommendations?

Thnaks, Martin

I'd second NavFree, it works well and, as the name suggests, it's free !

It has some neat features when you have internet access such as searching google for a place and grabbing the location information for you automatically so you can search for a pub name, for example, and navigate to that pub. The app doesn't need or use an internet connection normally as all the maps, post code lookups and POI are loaded onto the phone.

The free version uses the open source map project so occasionally you get the odd glitch where one of the contributors has got it wrong - on the plus side you can correct any mistakes you find yourself. I've never had a problem with it though, it always gets me there.

There is a paid for version of the app that is very similar but uses commercial maps instead of open source ones, SWMBO bought that for her iPhone.

I have the Tom Tom app on my iPhone and it is great and well worth the money.

Manly because it automatic updates the maps when there is a change at no extra . Plus unlike a lot of free ones it does not use the Internet when you are using it as it stores all the maps in the phone.

Plus it does have a few good extras like google search and find the address and then takes you there.

(null)

I've looked at the suggested options and it is a toss up between ton tom and copilot I think. I've downloaded the free copilot (which is just a fancy google maps) to try, but it says I need to register before using and guess what...that requires the internet!

Looks like a McDonalds coffee and free wi-fi are in order...

McDonalds WiFi works in the carpark too...

SWMBO wanted a satnav solution on her iPhone a few years ago and ended up with Co-Pilot too. It works very well. At the time (and I have no idea what it costs now) Tomtom for iPhone was more than the cost of a low end, stand alone Tomtom car unit, yet still really needed the expensive car cradle and as such made no sense!

Navfree seems to work well. I often just use Google maps though.

Chris

I just use google maps to look at the final destination if it is hidden away,

That requires the internet and a screen, and forward planning...

Reading a map when trying to navigate to a destination in a city centre is getting a bit of a pita with all the bus lanes, no where to pull over and check, volume of traffic, etc. That and I don't have maps for every town and city. Also people are carp at giving directions anymore, they think a postcode is fine and I swear most people don't have a clue where they live if you asked them to give you proper directions!

Anyway, settled on City Navigator for the cost and the fact I can move the route to the one I want to take etc. Just the job and for £25 cheap enough for what I want.

Cheers, Martin

Google Navigation all the time now, complete with traffic updates for free :)

Is there anyway of getting the Android eqivalent on Apple products? I have it on my HTC phone and it is great (especially for a freebie) but, any of the navigation apps on the ipad/iphone that use google maps seem really clunky, slow and generally not user friendly.

Ooooh, check you Ross :P

One of our youngest members using old tech, quite unusual nowadays, but I daresay that'll be the scouty part of you showing through ;)

*takes a bow*

It probably is Michael! I can't stand the reliance everyone has on satnavs, and I am certainly in the minority amongst my friends and work colleagues.

Is there anyway of getting the Android eqivalent on Apple products? I have it on my HTC phone and it is great (especially for a freebie) but, any of the navigation apps on the ipad/iphone that use google maps seem really clunky, slow and generally not user friendly.

No, I don't know how, but iOS5 devices will get AppleNav or whatever it will be called soon enough.

As for maps, they are for people that don't know where they are going.... generally I just use satnav to give me an estimated time of arrival and know how and where to go until the last 20 miles or so -I feel so old :(

I used Garmin maps for mobile when I had a car-computer in my overland truck and was dead impressed with it, especially the touch screen functionality.

I see they do an iphone version now - bit pricey at £50, but when I bought my pc package, Maplin were doing a special at £50 for full Europe software including a good GPS dongle, which was less than half the price of Garmin direct, so worth checking them out.

not relevant to iphones, but I used Google earth on the car pc as well, it accepts input from a GPS dongle, and it tracks or guides you as you drive along. Then if you zoom down to road level, you can see into the back gardens of the houses you're driving past :)