LR Defender Stolen - Wiltshire

Puffernutter

Last night in Trowbridge Wiltshire, my son's LR 90, blue in colour with a 200TDi replacement engine. Wooden panel replacing the glass in the rear of the cab, good dent on the O/S front wing.

Registration F857 EYC

He's on a course at the moment and will be devastated.

Unfortunately with running one car already and only being an apprentice, whilst working on the LR, it was not insured, so a total loss :-(

Cheers

Peter

Really sorry to hear this - just infuriating! I keep hearing that the Landrover is the second most stolen vehicle in the UK after the Transit - whether this is true or not I have no idea. As you said, lets hope that some automatic number plate recognition systems pick it up!

Don't count on the ANPR's finding him, its only those in police cars that will flag it up.

I couldn't understand why the uninsured driver that caused our accident in January was getting away with putting fuel in the car, I thought the ANPR in the petrol station would have caught him. turns out no, they're not connected to the PNC, they're only there in case of drive-offs.

I'm afraid I have little confidence that we will ever see it again...It was unisured, no MoT and SORNd. If I'd tried driving that around I would have got no more that 25 yards before I was nicked!

Whilst not "stolen to order" I don't think this was an opportunistic theft. I think this was planned. My son is away (and has been for the last 10 days) and his Peugeot 405 normally blocks the LR in. They took the opportunity when they saw the Peugeot wasn't there.

Hindsight is an exact science, we should have take a couple of wheels of or something similar, would have slowed them down if nothing else.

At least it's given me the impetus to get the CCTV working, so I can now record all the goings on at the back of the property in my office at the bottom of the garden. Soon, we'll link it through the internet to the house and then with luck we'll get remote web access as well!

Still looking for a cheap Defender 90 for him as another project. Anything that's on the road is out of the price range (but no real basket cases!)

Cheers

Peter

I shall have to see if I have any. Being my sons car, it not something that I would normally have taken pictures of. It was a pretty standard 1989 Defender 90. Tatty in most places. It's most expensive feature was that about 3 months ago we fitted a Defender 200TDi in it (and it was running very sweetly) apart from that blue pick up, white roof, significant pushed out dent in the O/S front wing. No carpets, well loved seats. The body and chassis were in pretty good nick, but when we bought it the 19J had put a foot out of bed, so the price was good. I'd just swapped my 19J in my Defender 110 for a 200TDi so we just swapped that straight in and had him on the road in no time.

Cheers

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

FOUND FOUND FOUND!!!!

About 2.5 miles away. Passenger door lock and ignition barrel jemmied. Nothing else missing. Only an extra 2.5 miles on the odometer. Contrary to our belief, looks like it was just used to get somebody home then abandoned.

Thanks for all your help and support!

An unexpected happy ending!

Cheers

Peter

FOUND FOUND FOUND!!!!

About 2.5 miles away. Passenger door lock and ignition barrel jemmied. Nothing else missing. Only an extra 2.5 miles on the odometer. Contrary to our belief, looks like it was just used to get somebody home then abandoned.

Cheers

Peter

bloody hell!! thats great new!! :i-m_so_happy:

Don't count on the ANPR's finding him, its only those in police cars that will flag it up.

I couldn't understand why the uninsured driver that caused our accident in January was getting away with putting fuel in the car, I thought the ANPR in the petrol station would have caught him. turns out no, they're not connected to the PNC, they're only there in case of drive-offs.

petrol garage camera's are not ANPR kit, just video so the garage can identify non payment drive offs.

FOUND FOUND FOUND!!!!

Cheers

Peter

great news, not to much damage to fix either.

FOUND FOUND FOUND!!!!

That is bloody good news!

I have been away on holiday and was more than a little worried when I read that it had been nicked. I was very relieved when I got back yesterday to find my 90 still there. I was already worried about leaving my 110 together with roofrack/tent, Waeco fridge and a load of camping gear parked up for a week near Nottingham without having to worry about the 90 parked up at home.

petrol garage camera's are not ANPR kit, just video so the garage can identify non payment drive offs.

Some are Ralph. I regularly fill up at Morrisons Cribbs Causeway (Bristol) where they have an ANPR system that will not start the pump (apparently) till it has read your number. You can see the screen inside 'reading' the numbers off cars. I very much doubt that they are connected to any national ANPR system, though it would be a good way of preventing uninsured/licensed vehicles from fuelling. ....though there would also be loads of problems with database errors/latency/motor traders etc..

Chris

Great to hear. Given the passion on these forums it really gets to us all when we hear of a stolen Landy - so to hear you've got it back without any major issues just makes everbody on LR4x4s day. Overjoyed for your son. My Dad got me into Landrovers from the age of 6 months and now I have my own after 30 years he knows that the one thing that would destroy me would be to get home from working offshore to find my Landy pinched......can't even bare the thought!

I very much doubt that they are connected to any national ANPR system

No they're not, the police won't foot the bill,nor will the insurance companies...thats why my Chinese 'friend' didn't get caught until I ran into him.

Excellent news on the find!