LED floods and Spots from China - your views

Smego

Yer I know this and have done with appropriate switches in previous Land Rovers. But am looking to put better reverse lamps on the girlfriends work Hilux as can only see out of side mirrors and when reversing into gate ways farm etc in the winter it would be better for her to see what she is reversing into. Hence I want this to be easily fitted and removed as her pick up may be changed soon and I wouldn't get much notice to take bits off it.

Jon

I bought a 20" led light bar from china

Cost me £130 delivered

Got it on my 110 and I am very pleased uses no power and very bright . Have just got a Led work light for the back for the camp trips.

As said before a bit too bright to take a pic of at night with it looking carp

60b77ee53a983e228923eb2f933ee3e3_zps708016ff.jpg

31454a6573641e96e9197a73e4005a35_zpsafc3140a.jpg

Now, at what point do these become illegal for blinding other 'road' users? After all, a byway is still a road?? The other problem I reckon I'd have is that you'd soon get very accustom to the really good visibility, and then need to turn them off when you hit the tarmac, at which point your normal lamps will seem rubbish and your eyesight will be useless for a while.

Only problem with that, is that lamps should be in pairs for C&U regulations, yes this means the minis in Italian Job (the good one) were technically illegal with 5 lamps on the front.

Reserve for off-road use only I would say...

Jon W

You could always try replacing the lamps with brighter LED ones while you have the truck.

Not particularly legal, as they are not "E" marked, but they improve the rearward visibility. I fitted an extra reversing light to my 110, and fitted LEDs to both. It made a vast improvement, especially in the rain when reversing in to the driveway.

As far as lamp in pairs is concerned they are as the LEDs are all in even numbers so ok there as far as legal issues are concerned mine have a disconnection switch in both the headlight one and the rear "reversing" light hence why I have the original still. but should be ok anyway as they are only 18w each, just put out the light of a 150w one ;-)

I think if you just use them sensibly (whatever you have) there is no reason for the old bill to bother you. Unless your someone who would go round with their main beam on blinding everyone in which case plod would pull you regardless of what kind and how many lights you have fitted.

I have 4 x 50w HID lights on my roll cage, the front spot are also converted to HID. When laining at night they are superb and to be honest I haven't really noticed any real lack of vision when I go back to dip, After all I'm only going slowly... and it's not as though I go to blackout i would still have my dip beams on.

There all isolated and switched so that they can be turned on by themselves or by main beam or not come on at all regardless of whatever the standard lights are doing.

Andy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had looked into buying some LED lights direct from China whilst on a work trip but as the trip didn't happen I didn't get any but the factory that I found keep sending me price lists.

I am not sure of the quality, of the lights but they seem fairly well priced clearly you would have to pay shipping, Import fees and VAT and have to buy a cartons worth but I'm sure people on here could get together to save money.

Jason.

best pricelist of LED light bar (1).pdf

Best pricelist of LED WORK LIGHT.pdf

• 1 month later...

Thanks.

Also I'm not really sure how you could tell without some destructive testing but I'm wondering what the actual IP rating is for these. I've seen identical looking products on various websites/ebay etc and the rating varies from IP65 to IP68, so I assume the sellers are just making their own numbers up.

I'm very tempted to jump on this LED bandwagon but I'd be a bit miffed if they blew up after being submerged in a ford or something. If they are only IP65 that sounds quite possible.

HI Matt,

Could you please explain what this 'CRI' is that you speak of? And low and high amounts of it?

Or did you mean Cree?

Hoss

With LEDs you really do get what you pay for. I run the UK lighting division for a large electronics company and we work with all the top names in LEDs. Lots of the low cost stuff is using low quality LEDs with very low CRI (as per the post from Simon above). They also tend to be very blue, this is because the cooler white , low CRI LEDs offer more flux (lumen output) for less money .

The driver electronics (power supply), optics and heatsink are all areas that make the difference between a good product or a bad one regardless of what LED is used.

On the plus side even the low quality stuff should last 10,000+ hrs and that's a long time in defender driving hrs.

A good thing with LEDs is the ability to use optics to focus the usable light to get maximum light extraction in the place you want it. High CRI LEDs are now becoming available and the cost is coming down . LED performance is always getting better and now parts are available at performance above 150 lumens per watt .

Light output is measured in lumens not watts. A poor quality 50w LED spot light might kick out less light vs a high quality 25w LED spot.

Matt