Hydraulic log splitter

Simon Smith

Ok, so I have a pile of very large logs and a splitting Maul. Too much like hard work me thinks. But as I know many of you have hydraulic winches driven by the PAS pump, I wondered if anyone had added a spool valve to the system?

Sounds like a future project to me, might need a bigger fluid tank, but otherwise can't see why not.

Safer and easier to add a second PS pump if you have a spare pulley?

But PTO kit is definately good, and way more power. Could be at the back or on the front of the engine.

Depends how much tinkering you want to do. You could even just use the landy as a 12 volt supply and drive a tipper pump?

Have a hunt round YouTube for ideas, there is some neat side ways stuff on there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKqW_VqMYfs

Though not particularly Land Rover related, the coolest log splitter I've seen used what looked like a giant wood screw powered by a motor with a flywheel. You drop the logs on to the pointy end - and they just exploded into fragments!

Small logs turned into kindling where bigger ones were just split into 3 or 4 smaller bits. It was very simple and looked home built.

I have lots of logs to split and it's on my 'to build' list!

Si

The LogRover is possibly one of the most dangerous things I've ever seen - I love it.

Failure mode: "Well, the string tangled in the propshaft so I went to grab it, but I tipped the workbench over. What happened next is a bit of a blur, but I think the prop UJ went to 90 degrees and bound up, so it flung the workbench round three quarters of a turn, and then jammed against the floor and the side of the Rover, which hopped off the axle stand and started driving around the woodyard. Luckily I was catapulted clear of the developing wreckage."

I built a log splitter, I had the idea of using it both with its own engine and off the pto on the 90, though the pto isn't yet fitted. Anyway it has it's own engine and pump, to be honest don't think it'll ever be hooked up to the 90, the only advantage would be speed but unless your splitting huge amounts to sell I wouldnt be too fussed

I've a tractor mounted / hydraulic powered one, unfortunatley 150 miles away afrom where I live, on the mother in laws farm. It can struggle sometimes and isn't the quickeset of things tbh so I think you'd prob struggle running it off the steering pump. I'd vote for a setup like mikec has ^^^^^^, thinking about making something similar myself so mine can be dual purpose / adaptable & becomes portable, I've a spare 4 stroke engine stiing here and the reains of an old trailer chassis to bolt it too.

Otherwise if I run out of time at the farm /or wood whilst at home for the log burner I use a combination of large felling axe, log grenade (google it), sledge, chopping block ( nice comfortable height) with an old tyre on it to stop the log falling off - much better than splitting maul ;) .

Steve

How do you find the log grenade? I got one and although it splits stubborn logs it isn't quick. Ive had a few mauls firstly cheapo ones that kept breaking, then bought a stihl one, a million times better, not a lot it doesn't split.

I tried a log grenade and didn't get on with it, I prefer a normal splitting wedge as you can direct the split where you want it. I was given an old splitting wedge that is actually sharp unlike the cheap ones you seem to see nowadays.

I normally use a felling axe for logs that are easy to split and a hydraulic log splitter for the stubborn stuff, the felling axe has a far quicker cycle time than the log splitter .... if you split the log in the first hit! :)

It's a 13hp Honda copy, running an 8cc pump, The pumps a little small to be honest but it does ok

The ZF74 'steering pump' is supposedly rated at 10.5lpm, not sure at what rpm that is. I wonder how that compares to the 8cc pump you are running? What RPM are you running your engine at?

ZF steering pump will in therory be 1600psi there abouts, where as the hydraulic pump could be 3000psi. So the power steer pump splitter would need near twice the ram surface area and travel half as fast. (ish). I would think 20 litre/min at full hydraulic pressure would be a good starting point?

As above, an ebay engine is probably as cheap as PTO kit.

Don't know the spec of the pas pump on the Ford 8210, but that could turn the front wheels from lock to lock as fast as you could spin the wheel at tickover. The ram was about 2-1/2" diameter so must have had a decent flow rate. Looked like a scaled up Landy pump about 6" diameter and 10" long.

Ok found it in the handbook PAS pump 1600psi no flow rate given

Hydraulic pump (the one that fits in the palm of your hand) 2500 psi 38.9Ltr/min.

Now being as the PAS pump is twice the size and much less powerful, I can only assume the extra size was to give it a high flow rate?