TD5 or 300tdi

Tibout

Hi guys,

Iknow this question have been asked hundred times!! but they are all a couple of years old now. in 2012 i would like to know some of your opinions whether to get a td5 or 300tdi. i've work on the tdi i've owned and i know it's not as easy on a td5. Have opinion change about the td5 since then? wont be doing much towing or anything like that.

Any opinion will be helpful

kind regards

Thierry

water loss from header tank (cracked head) poor starting from cold - make sure when you test drive one that when you arrive the engine is STONE cold as this is when many fuel related issues show themselves, listen for a gurgling fuel pump as a early sign of injector seals letting gases into the fuel etc etc.

TD5. I've got 2 TD5s and a 300TDI.

I prefer the TD5 over the 300TDI

Be wary of tuned Defender engines or units from Discoverys, which run at mich higher tune and boost than Defenders. They tend to warp the manifolds and can pull the studs out of each end of the head.

My Discovery and Defender are standard tune and it's the Defender that has warped the manifold and snapped+pulled studs.

Where the engine has come from and the state of tune come second to engine maintenance and how hard they've been worked I think.

I had a 300TDI for 7 years and switched to a TD5 around 18 months ago. The TD5 has bags more torque and is much quieter and smoother.

The downsides are that the TD5 won't run on veggie oil, it's heavier on fuel than the 300TDI and it comes with a dual mass flywheel (lots of posts on here about DMFs).

All in all though I prefer the TD5.

Comparing my DMF-equipped 150,000-mile 90TD5 with a friend's 110 where the DMF has been replaced with a solid flywheel, I'd go for the DMF every time.

I've also driven a current 4-cylinder Puma/Transit-powered Defender, courtesy of my local LR-dealer who wanted to sell it to me. It was horribly rough compared to my TD5.

[Now if only LR would do a truck-cab 90 with the 3-litre TDV6 and an autobox I'd be in there waving my cheque for £30,000 and saying GIMMEGIMMEGIMME !!!]

The downsides are that the TD5 won't run on veggie oil, it's heavier on fuel than the 300TDI and it comes with a dual mass flywheel (lots of posts on here about DMFs).

i know 300tdi are more economic but what could be done to improve the mpg of the td5? decat, egr blank etc!! was thinking of the servicing as well. apart from changing all the fluids would i need to get one of the hawkeye thing!!! i've read also that the td5 engine perform best with the best oil like fully synthetic etc..

Whilst I loved my 300tdi 110, car like noise levels and the smoothness offered by a td5 simply puts the defender in another class.

As far as I know the difference between a 10p and 15p engines are a different EGR setup, but as generally they get removed, this in no issue, also this coincided with the later flash programmable ECU which had the fuel map reworked to improve anti stall and jerky starts from standstill.

The electronic side of the TD5 system does add a level of complexity, however it is actually a simple system to understand.

As for a code reader, any reasonable independant parts supplier with workshop will most likely to check for faults on the ECU side FOC, given that they can then sell you a replacement part if you should need one, obviously best to call in when you would expect them to be quiet and have a word.

I would not use anything but fully synthetic oil on any modern turbo diesel engine, this is because manufacturing tolerances are so much closer than they used to be, this goes hand in hand with the life expectancy of a moder turbo diesel being in the reigeon of 200 to 300k miles and you simply would not expect such a return without adaquate servicing including appropriate oil quality

Hi Thierry,

I have a 98 110 Td5 160k, 10p engine, duel mass flywheel too, I've been changing the clutch over the last week when time is available so been driving my pals 110 97 Tdi300 good example too, which I was always keen to try, can't wait till my Td5 is back up n running, totally different characteristics.

I would try and drive a good example of both before you part with you hard earned £££'s..

Good luck,

Dave..

thanks Dave,

had a look at some over the week-end. was really keen on one today a 03 td5 110, guy on the phone sound really genuine and told me the landy was clean as a whistle. got there check oil level, over fill, leaking engine oil, transfer box leak, swivel leak.... turn on the engine i've heard td5 before and they are sweet but this one was worse that a tractor. very shaky as well. took it for a drive but i only made 1o metres as i had to stand on the clutch it was so stiff!!!! just walke away lost 8hours drive!!! i've owned a 200tdi which i love and a 300tdi as well. just wanted to upgrade to the famous td5.

and would the 15p engine not have steel stud as standard rather than the egr difference only!! hoprfully i'll get some luck during the week.