Workshop press

reb78

What sort of rating (tonnes) would be adequate as a workshop press for changing bushes? I've seen some 6 tonne ones within my price range, but have no idea if these would have enough capacity.

Also any recommendations (under £100 if possible)?

I asked a similar question in a thread a while ago (at least I think it was on here) and I believe the general consensus with a press is the mor the better, with several reports of needing over 20t to remove bushes.

However my line of thinking is that the removal of a bush is where the extreme force is needed, and there would have to be something wrong to require a lot of force to install a new bush. So perhaps is smaller capacity press would be suitable, along with using a more 'red neck' way of actually removing bushes?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12-TONNE-HYDRAULIC-PRESS-Workshop-Garage-Shop-Press-/170664596525?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item27bc67142d

is what i had a while back, it was £20-30 cheaper then when metal was cheaper. Done all my landy/ldv bushes so far. uses a standard bottle jack so not too spendy if you need to replace the jack part. Bolts together so you can take it apart to store it flat.

Pete

However my line of thinking is that the removal of a bush is where the extreme force is needed, and there would have to be something wrong to require a lot of force to install a new bush. So perhaps is smaller capacity press would be suitable, along with using a more 'red neck' way of actually removing bushes?

This is kinda what I was thinking too. I can get them out with a hacksaw, hammer and chisel, but u can't use those to put the new bushes in.

I asked a similar question in a thread a while ago (at least I think it was on here) and I believe the general consensus with a press is the mor the better, with several reports of needing over 20t to remove bushes.

You can cut and burn out bushes but you will still need to use a press to remove the A frame ball joint. I had one approaching 20T recently before it moved. I have a 30T and I've never had it past 20T.

Always thought about buying a workshop press but when I use my brothers one, the most useful part that came with this second hand press was a box lumps of metal (discs with and without holes in, cylinder of various sizes with and without holes)

But where can you buy a set of these "press accessories"? as they are much better than using sockets to adapt shape of the pushing force.

You can cut and burn out bushes but you will still need to use a press to remove the A frame ball joint. I had one approaching 20T recently before it moved. I have a 30T and I've never had it past 20T.

Very true, however Reb never mentioned A frame ball joints ^_^

I've not had the pleasure of removing my A frame ball joint yet... But if (should that be when?) I do, I'm sure I could persuade it to part company with my selection of lump hammers!

Very true, however Reb never mentioned A frame ball joints ^_^

I've not had the pleasure of removing my A frame ball joint yet... But if (should that be when?) I do, I'm sure I could persuade it to part company with my selection of lump hammers!

True. I plan to buy a Gwyn Lewis adjustable one already pressed into its carrier to avoid this hassle, so the press is specifically for bushes in this case. Useful points though.

I have a 20 tonne floor standing press, and that has struggled in the past, where I have had to take the bearing and hold it in the vice and tap it out with a brass drift.

But I have found it more use pressing in bearings, and bending things straight.

Bought mine second hand for £30 iirc, guy was moving house and his new house had no garage so he had to sell everything and quickly!!

We had a 50 ton VL Churchill press in the old job and I've seen bushes up to 40 odd tons in that IIRC. However you can change bushes with nothing more than a vice, some sockets, a blowtorch and a hacksaw so there's always a technique in getting them out, and if I get one I'll probably go for a 10 ton one and the redneck method of removal using heat and violence, which I would suggest is fine for domestic/hobby use, it's only in a workshop where you are charging for the service that you need to be efficient. I wouldn't go with anything less than 10 though.

I have never replaced a rear axle ball joint on any of my six Land Rovers to date so that's not a concern. Learn to change gear: they last forever :)

I have a little Fly Press, only rated at 4 or 6 Ton - can't remember which. It has not been defeated by anything!

With a fly press, you swing the handle and use the momentum in the fly-weight to act almost like a hammer. The static force it delivers is probably quite small, but the instantaneous impact force has been enough to beat a 60 Ton hydraulic press!

They have an adjustable stop so you can set a limit to how far the press descends. Though not that useful for pressing bushes, it is very useful for precise bending & folding.

I used it to bend the plates for an external removable roll cage to pass through the bodywork. After a bit of setting up, it formed all 12 very precisely the same so you could stack them all on top of one another with no gaps inbetween.

I've regularly used it to fold plate up to about 12mm thick and bend up to about 30mm.

This one looks about the same size as mine:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SWEENEY-BLOCKSIDGE-FLY-PRESS-/251172840904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a7b1165c8

A deep throat press would be better as access is sometimes difficult - but not so much better that I've gone out & bought one.

Size wise, it needs to be between a No 4 & No 6 IMHO.

On eBay they are relatively expensive - but they do turn up in the Friday Ad etc for peanuts because they are so heavy & difficult to shift. Mine was a 2 man lift on to the bench - but right at the limit of what we could lift! So, not portable - but if you have a corner it could live in, invaluable!

Last month I fixed a cast iron pump handle for someone. It was not possible to weld it - so I made some 10mm diameter Rivets with a 20mm head on one end and cold formed them in the press to bridge the break with another bit of cast iron he found in his garden! I made a tool in the lathe with a hemispherical cup in the end to form a 'button'. The end result looked pretty good - Victorian bridge-building style. Once the rivets go rusty it will look as if it's always been there!

Si