Heated seats - something good to say about Britpart!

simonr

I bought an XS seat re-upholstering kit made by Britpart from Foundry4x4. At the same time, I got a Waeco seat heating kit from them.

For some reason, neither seems to be listed on their web site - but the part numbers are DA5636 for the upholstery and MSH601 for the heaters.

I have to say, I'm nothing but impressed! The covers are nicely made with good quality stitching and were a perfect fit. The fitting, if you've never done it before isn't easy, but the kit came with a decent instructional video on CD. If you follow the steps, it's not hard. The second seat (once I kind of knew what I was doing was a piece of cake!).

I figured that if I was fixing the seats, it made sense to put heaters in at the same time!

The seat re-upholstering kit comes with literally everything you need including a can of spray glue. The only additional thing that helps is some silicone lube spray which helps when you are trying to pull the cover over the seat base. The kit included the foam seat bases and backs too - which I didn't expect!

The seat heaters come with a complete wiring harness including switches and a relay - all nicely put together.

I've not wired up the seats properly yet, just lashed them together to make sure it all worked. This morning, it wasn't really cold enough to get the full benefit - but they are certainly warm!

Anyway, contrary to most posts about Britpart stuff, I have no complaints what so ever! They were good value and nicely made! Only time will tell how long they last - but on the basis that a new set of Land Rover seats fitted two & a half years ago had sagged and the covers split, but cost 4x as much, they only have to last until July to be good value!

I've got some photos - but the lead for my phone has hidden itself so I'll post some later!

Si

Whats the price comparison like Si?

I've always found Foundry pretty good - however, I don't know how they compare to everyone else as I received a 'trade discount'. I can buy from them for less than Britpart directly because of their volumes. I suspect this would follow on to retail prices too. Worth an ask at the very least!

Si

Si,

If you do need to remove them again a good tip when fitting seat covers is to wrap cling film around the foam, it allows the cover to slide over the foam more easily and makes no difference if you leave it there.

Jason.

I've been thinking of fitting a set of these for a while now, but I would want to run them through a Carling switch not the switch provided in the kit. Does anybody know if the high and low settings are 2 separate circuits within the heater pads or is low 1 circuit on and high both circuits on?? Have looked at the install instructions and whatever else I can find online but I can't find a definitive answer

Any help most appreciated

Simon

• 4 months later...

They are pre-wired, but with plugs & sockets - so it's easy to remove the seat base.

They are supplied with switches relays and fuses. Unforunately, the lengths & configuration of the wires wasn't really suitable for a defender. I just cut the wires and re-joined as appropriate. Both the wires now pass in to my cubby box where the relays & fuses live with the switches in the MUD centre console next to the drinks holders.

Si

I needed to change the foam in my seats - so did both at the same time. It transformed the comfort of the seats - so it might be worth doing both to make it more worthwhile?

There are a couple of good videos on YouTube on re-upholstering LR seats. Follow the video and it's easy!

Si

I'm living near Birmingham at the moment so I intend going to Sam's trim (I have a full set of her seats) and asking her to open up and the seats. I'll fit the pads then she can close the seats up with new fixings. Hope she agrees as they look mint and I'm not sure that I could return them to that standard.

I would like to use a carling off-on-on switch but I'm not sure if they are compatible with the switch provided as the carling are off-one on-both on.

The switch provided is just an on-off-on type. Carling also sell an off-on-on type which I think would be better, giving you off-low-high.

I tried ordering a pair of front seats from Sam's - but whenever I phoned up, they'd been too busy to make mine. After a year of waiting, I gave up and re-upholstered my original seats! I'll not bother with them again.

Si

• 1 year later...