ibex 300 build

3 minutes ago, Bowie69 said:

Yup, with worn piston skirts you start getting horrible slap as it rocks around on the gudgeon pin. 

But a very uncommon problem on the 200. Needing a hone is generally post 500k. It's a basic engine, but it was built in a time before the penny pinchers came on the scene

Interesting aside. I've been watching a '92 Disco on Market place, fitted with a DieselpumpUK 0M606. It's not the best of jobs, as little things like removal of the inlet manifold webbing hasn't been done. But overall it's a nice fit. It's bolted to an LT77 (IIRC) so no chance of using all the power except with a very gentle foot, and obviously won't run on carp/alternative fuel. However, it's nice and looks a solid old bus. No one is interested though. It's dropped to 8.5K now.  That's a 10k engine in a 3K body (if retrofitted with a 200Tid) that even has the origional bumpers!  I reckon if he drops another 1k, if I can find the money, it might be on my drive. I can sell the engine every day of the week and have a spare 200 and gear box (and a 3.9 with manual box).

• Like 1

The cam engine ran sweet as a nut bar and even passed the iva emissions test with no trouble at 24 years and 150k miles granted I added another 4 years and 30k which is when it started to loose oil pressure. It could see 85, towed well and didn't smoke more than a normal 200. All in all considerably better than the one in there which is the engine I took to Russia in 45. I know the bores are worn, it smokes, leaks and seems to like eating head gaskets. However this engine still goes well and has oil pressure.

Mike

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Nonimouse said:

But a very uncommon problem on the 200. Needing a hone is generally post 500k. It's a basic engine, but it was built in a time before the penny pinchers came on the scene

Interesting aside. I've been watching a '92 Disco on Market place, fitted with a DieselpumpUK 0M606. It's not the best of jobs, as little things like removal of the inlet manifold webbing hasn't been done. But overall it's a nice fit. It's bolted to an LT77 (IIRC) so no chance of using all the power except with a very gentle foot, and obviously won't run on carp/alternative fuel. However, it's nice and looks a solid old bus. No one is interested though. It's dropped to 8.5K now.  That's a 10k engine in a 3K body (if retrofitted with a 200Tid) that even has the origional bumpers!  I reckon if he drops another 1k, if I can find the money, it might be on my drive. I can sell the engine every day of the week and have a spare 200 and gear box (and a 3.9 with manual box).

IMO DPUK stuff isn't anything to write home about. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2023 at 2:12 PM, landroversforever said:

IMO DPUK stuff isn't anything to write home about. 

I think it's ok on the build, but simply too powerful. I've driven a couple of G wagens with DPUK OM303 and they have needed 'de-tuning' simply to make them driveable

54 minutes ago, landroversforever said:

Can't really go into it here, but I'd run away from anything they've touched.

I get the feeling an awful lot of tuning houses are very similar - at a guess it's stuff that looks great on social media but maybe not 100% quality where it counts? :ph34r:

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I between house alterations I've changed the rear stub axle because I couldn't get the hub seal to stay oil tight. The indicator stalk wouldn't stay on so that's been replaced. This week the injection pump decided to dump fuel on the floor, initially I ordered a seal kit but it got so bad I ended up swapping it out before the kit arrived. I had notice the engine had got rather rattley which I put down to it being tired then started to get a whiff of diesel. By the time I found it I had a solid drip which turned into a dribble by the time I got home from work. Hence me having to rob the pump off the other engine, the swap was relatively uneventful but it refused to start. After double checking everything I spotted the stop solenoid cable had been knocked off. 🤬 Once reattached it fired first time but smoked quite badly, fortunately the smoke settled down and I was able to drive it. It now drives and sounds better than it has in a long time, I guess it's been dieing for a while. Given I've got a kit I'm tempted to strip it and reseal it but because the other pump runs so much smoother I worry the pump is dead.

Mike

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

Given I've got a kit I'm tempted to strip it and reseal it but because the other pump runs so much smoother I worry the pump is dead.

Given how much slackening off an injector pump causes knock I wouldn't be surprised if dodgy seals cause lack of pressure resulting in the same symptoms. I've never had the need to rebuild a pump though so no idea whether I'm spouting nonsense.

If it still ran but poorly I would think its salvageable.

Personally I would get it reconned by someone like Welham Diesel. They will put a full set of decent seals in it and set it up on a test bench to flow the correct numbers which will compensate for wear.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just thinking out loud again, if I was to buy a td5 disco what do I need to do to run it outside the vehicle. I don't have central locking, electric windows or an alarm. So I don't need any of that. I think I have most of a defender td5 loom kicking around but would use either my 200 disco clocks or the ones out of the td5 disco.

Mike

The real question is would buying a TD5 plus the necessary bits plus doing the conversion be cheaper or less hassle than just fixing one of the assorted 200TDi's?

If the "spare" engine just needs cam bearings it feels like that's the path of least pain.

That or buying a £500 1.0 litre sh*tbox with a year's MOT to commute in and put the fuel savings towards an engine rebuild :ph34r:

• Like 2

I'm currently considering the bigger picture. 200s aren't going to get easier to find and some parts are already unavailable. I would still rebuild one of the 200's down the line for the 110. A complete disco should supply all the parts required. It's more powerful which is nice. It would also provide a gearbox to replace the incorrect one that's in there. Plus I can sell some parts to recoup some penny's and there's a long weekend coming....

Mike

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

200s aren't going to get easier to find and some parts are already unavailable. I would still rebuild one of the 200's down the line for the 110

Then again, a properly rebuilt 200 dropped in to the Ibex should last another 20 years or so, given that all the shagged ones you've got are from the previous millennium :ph34r: and somehow still running.

And after that dies it'll be an easy EV conversion ;)

• Like 1

I think you know it makes sense, as long as you have factored in all the miscellaneous rubbish you will need to get it running properly.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

Then again, a properly rebuilt 200 dropped in to the Ibex should last another 20 years or so, given that all the shagged ones you've got are from the previous millennium :ph34r: and somehow still running.

And after that dies it'll be an easy EV conversion ;)

Trouble is I'm distinctly time and money poor, a disco gets me engine, gearbox, random other bits and a load I can sell on for £1k ish. A rebuild is £1.2k for parts alone probably 3-4 weeks of evenings/weekends and I'll still need a gearbox down the line.

Mike

1 hour ago, miketomcat said:

and a load I can sell on for £1k ish

I'm not down with the kids on current values but can you buy a crusty D2 for cheap, strip the drivetrain out and still sell the remains for 1k???

And if you're time poor is that actually less time / space / effort than an on-the-bench engine rebuild over a few weeks of evenings?

3 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm not down with the kids on current values but can you buy a crusty D2 for cheap, strip the drivetrain out and still sell the remains for 1k???

And if you're time poor is that actually less time / space / effort than an on-the-bench engine rebuild over a few weeks of evenings?

Might be worth keeping an eye on the D2 facebook groups. If it's one with a more popular interior colour like the black leather, you might make a few hundred for the full interior. Axles seem to often be up for sale for £150-300 a set. If they don't sell I'm sure Nige would take on the diffs.