ibex 300 build

9 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Well it's back together and running. It looked a bit smokey when I booted it which it wasn't before but it was dark and in car headlights, I'll see what it's like tomorrow.

Mike

They always look worse in that scenario. I think you notice the 'haze' picked up by the lights of the vehicle behind.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Having had a persistent oil leak from the nearside hub seal, I figured I better fix it before towing the trailer to Silverstone. I replaced the hub seal before seven sisters hoping that would cure it but alas no. So hub off mass clean up, new stub axle including new seal, bearing etc in the back and new hub seal. Fingers crossed I've sorted it this time.

On top of this my radiator sprang a leak yesterday (I don't seem to have much luck with Ali radiator's) so broke out the rad @Stellaghost generously donated last time (didn't use it last time due to fitting clash which I've since sorted). Seeing as my dad popped round to give me a hand I pressed him into service switching the rad. Hopefully that's that sorted too.

Mike

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

So the current 200tdi is dieing, the previous 200 has spun cam bearings. A recon is £2.5k+ if I do it myself (ignoring the lack of spare time) I doubt I'll have any change from £1k. This has lead to the question of is there another option. The truck has a disco lt77 which I would like to keep but I'm willing to change. So it must do more than 27mpg preferably in the 30's, be a relatively cheap job and fit my gearbox or be manual. I'll ignore V8 comments as I'm dam sure none do the mpg.

Go

Mike

The one in there has worn bores (and smoking a fair bit now), it seams to be over pressuring the cooling system (it wasn't losing water but has now sprung a small leak behind the timing chest I'm probably going to radweld it for now). I'll quite likely just put another 200 in or get the cam bearing one rebuilt. I just want to make sure I'm not missing an opportunity.

As for the 1uz-fe I seriously doubt it'll make 30 mpg but show me it can and I'll look closer. Bare in mind I tow a fair bit (the 200 only loses about 2mpg towing) and my commute is 50 mile a day.

Mike

A VW 1.9 TDI? Maybe a bit small for towing duties, but would fit the fuel bill...

Anything clockwork isn't likely to have both power and economy.

On the other hand, I don't think you're likely to have any change of £2500 doing an engine conversion, so might as well just bite the bullet and grab a reman engine?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, elbekko said:

On the other hand, I don't think you're likely to have any change of £2500 doing an engine conversion, so might as well just bite the bullet and grab a reman engine?

Probably not too far from the real answer - and an engine swap puts you into all the ancillary bits being oddments (ask me how I know). Certainly if a DIY rebuild is achievable for ~1k you won't get cheaper than that.

You won't find a modern diesel that's not electronic and all the good older diesels are likely to be as old and knackered as the average 200TDi because, well, they're the same era.

Fairly likely we both know a man near you with a spare TD5 knocking around but you've still got all the faffing about & ancillary stuff needed to make the conversion happen... and for that amount of time and money you could rebuild a spare 200TDi on the bench in the warm & dry and then just throw it in the hole and have it keep working for however long.

• Like 1

Rebuild your spare engine. Looking at the Turner's website, a rebuild engine looks expensive, but the parts are really cheap.

I am telling you what you already know, but as they say advice is what you ask for if you already know the answer, but wish you didn't.

Daan

1 hour ago, Bowie69 said:

OM605? 

I don't know anything about them will have a look.

40 minutes ago, elbekko said:

A VW 1.9 TDI? Maybe a bit small for towing duties, but would fit the fuel bill...

Anything clockwork isn't likely to have both power and economy.

VW is probably a bit small for towing and as you say likely not cost effective.

3 minutes ago, muddy said:

Scrap TD5 disco for around £500, standalone loom and de imobilised mapped ECU £400 ish, not sure what fuel tank you have for the pump? Just a thought...

The truck was originally built for a td5 so tank is fine, but all I ever here is how thirsty they are. But it would be a relatively straight swap and all factory bits.

@FridgeFreezer @Daanyour both probably right and I'm well aware of that. But doesn't hurt to ask the question.

Mike

9 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I don't know anything about them will have a look.

Very simply, available in 150BHP form from the multitude of 2.9 Sprinter vans that used to be hammering up the motorway at 90, pretty good fuel economy, benefits from same bellhousing pattern as 606 so adapters available.

I doubt you would get 25+ from a 1UZ in a barge such as yours, I mostly suggested it to wind you up ;) 

• Thanks 1

You'd also have to factor in the cost of rebuilding multiple TDIs.....

Honestly, one of the major reasons I have never owned (but have driven quite a lot as hire/company cars) diesel vehicles is that when they do go wrong, the pumps, injectors etc are ruinously expensive, I can't think of a single component in a NA petrol engine that could go wrong apart from catastrophic failure that would leave me with a bill for £500+, whereas an injector pump, injectors can fail and leave you feeling pretty poor very quickly.

So while fuel is a consideration, the overall running/servicing costs should be kept in perspective.

I'd guess given you do longer drives than some that a 1UZ get you around 22MPG (as well as a functioning heater :D) , but that's only part of the story.

A 200TDI would still probably best suit, any other engine will cost you way more in conversion costs than you expect, more than rebuilding the 200TDI you have sitting gathering dust, waiting for you to rebuild.

• Like 1