ibex 300 build

52 minutes ago, FridgeFreezer said:

I'm not down with the kids on current values but can you buy a crusty D2 for cheap, strip the drivetrain out and still sell the remains for 1k???

And if you're time poor is that actually less time / space / effort than an on-the-bench engine rebuild over a few weeks of evenings?

You misunderstood I ment but it for around £1k then sell other bits to recoup some of the cost.

Either way I have to remove and refit the engine. So yes buying, stripping and fitting a td5 would be a fair bit of work but probably no more time than rebuilding a 200 and replacing the current one.

At the moment I'm weighing up the options. There is another option involving a body shell in someone's garden. But no matter what I do it's spending at least £1k I'm just trying to make the best use of time and money long term.

Mike

• Like 2

TD5's are likely to be higher mileage at the cheap end ,  then there is the price of injector servicing, timing chain and the quality of even OEM stuff (AFM's for example) is variable to say the least.

Have you stripped the 200 to fully assess for rebuild ?

Steve

10p engines seem to come up for as little as £250, just grab a gearbox and ecu. 

Current gauges i would guess could be made to work with the speedo from transfer box and rev counter from the alternator. 

8 minutes ago, Jon W said:

10p engines seem to come up for as little as £250, just grab a gearbox and ecu. 

Current gauges i would guess could be made to work with the speedo from transfer box and rev counter from the alternator. 

At the very least I'd need rad/intercooler and part of the exhaust so buying a complete vehicle makes more sense.

Mike

I would think you would be lucky to see a £500 return from the shell of the disco unless you found a very special one, I was at the ripon 4x4 surtout last Sunday and couldn't give some D2 bits away. In its simplest form you get the ECU de-immobiliesed so it will just run the engine without any extra security measures, this is around £250 I think usually you get a stage 1 map on it at the same time. I am right in the middle of doing this and it will definitely be cheaper and easier to rebuild one of the engines you have now. 

Pay 500, rip everything out, ecu flash for 250, scrap the rest for ~250 round here at the moment, and still less than a Tdi build. 

And a whole lot more fun. 

21 hours ago, miketomcat said:

You misunderstood I ment but it for around £1k then sell other bits to recoup some of the cost.

Either way I have to remove and refit the engine. So yes buying, stripping and fitting a td5 would be a fair bit of work but probably no more time than rebuilding a 200 and replacing the current one.

At the moment I'm weighing up the options. There is another option involving a body shell in someone's garden. But no matter what I do it's spending at least £1k I'm just trying to make the best use of time and money long term.

Mike

The problem with a sub 1k TD5 conversion is that is more kicking the can down the road. It is no different to fitting another worn-out 200 tdi; Either is going to fail further up the road. Whether you fit a tdi or td5 is not the real question here, it is whether it is a good engine that lasts you 10 years without problems. If it is your daily driver that gets you to your daily income, it has to be reliable. Car broke = no income.

• Like 2

One of the differences to me is the td5 being much newer there are still loads of parts around. Lots available new still… and I reckon far more available new than 200 stuff. 

I would be wary about relying on the breaker making back much money given how many Facebook breakers there are flooding the market. 

I think when I broke the 4.6 P38 I got about £600 for the engine (irrelevant in your case). A couple of hundred for the gearbox and then maybe £150 for the two diffs to Nige (with one of them being the stronger 4 pin ones being a V8). It was then maybe a £150 weighed in. I've still got a bunch of parts taking up space that no one was really interested in.

So I think you'll be extremely lucky seeing close to £500 by the time you've taken the useful bits you want out of it.

Unless you know the engine, you'll be jumping out of the frying pan, straight into the fire. Well maintained, loved and cherished TD5's are a wonderful thing. Old, abused, poorly maintained and un cared for TD5's are simply a good way to spend money and increase stress

You mentioned earlier on this page, just how good the original lump was, until it got cam creep. You could remove the cam, fit new white metal bearings (and locktite them in place) and replace the cam, in a comfortable day, with tea and biscuits. With time to spare to look at the bottom end and clean the oil pump.  If by some strange reason, the bearing holes are mullered (rare, but can happen), you are part of the way to getting it line bored.

200Tdi's are old, some parts aren't as easy to get hold of as they were. But a rebuild will (as mentioned by Brother Fridge) last you 20 years. By which time you won't have the option of driving anything except your bike. As an aside, in 20 years (which is about as long as I've known you) I will be 78, confined to a very stinky armchair and mumbling about the good old days.

• Like 4

I think you’ll struggle to find a TD5 Discovery that has any life left in it for £1k. Most the ones around here are nails  and well used and abused. 

I can’t help but think, put your time and money into doing a good rebuild of the spare 200 tdi. 

plus this will save the hassle of breaking and getting rid of the stuff you don’t want ( assuming you go td5 route) 

I'm going to keep an eye out for a 200tdi as that's the quickest way to keep it on the road. If one doesn't come up between now and the end of the current commitments then I'll rebuild to other engine. I just hope it lasts that long as it's starting to be antisocial with it's smoking.

Mike

9 minutes ago, miketomcat said:

I'm going to keep an eye out for a 200tdi as that's the quickest way to keep it on the road. If one doesn't come up between now and the end of the current commitments then I'll rebuild to other engine. I just hope it lasts that long as it's starting to be antisocial with it's smoking.

Mike

Just get a big speaker playing popcorn limiter noises and you'll fit right in Mike! :lol: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Mike

What's your budget mike?

3 hours ago, miketomcat said:

Mike

Does it smoke on the overrun or all the time?  It's more likely to be the valve stem seals than the bores/rings

It might be useful to post up a budget. I’m always keeping an eye on market place and I know a local mechanic whom has all manner of hardware through the door. I’m happy to pass on any potential vehicles. I’m west wales for reference 

It smokes after sitting at tick over in traffic, fair size cloud. Most of the rest of the time it's not majorly noticeable. I know this engine has worn bores as it was plain to see last time the head was off. Ultimately this engine is tired and the other has oil pressure issues. As for budget for a replacement first it'll depend on the engine as I'll be willing to find more money for a low mileage or recently recond lump. Given that it's going to cost £1200-1500 to rebuild the other one in parts alone I guess that's the top end of the budget, but obviously I want to spend as little as possible.

Mike

• Like 1