Defender 90 mpg

depends what type of driving you do?

If your doing 100miles a day at 60 on a dual carridgeway i'd say its pretty poor, but if its all local town driving and short journeys then its likely around where i'd expect.

you have hit the nail on the head with your own words! 65-70mph!!!!!!!!! and 33" tyres!!!!!!!!!!!!!

for good milage you need to keep under 60mph closer to 56mph, and those tyres, are making the vehicle work a little harder, BUT also they could throw out the speedo calibration. Could be worth checking with gps or m/way markers that a mile isn't 9/10 ths of.

and yes i HAVE HAD 35.3mpg out of wallace, but no roof rack and no rooftent and it is a 300 tdi 110.

Haha Barry is trying to wind me up :lol:

My V8 90 on LPG and chunky rubber averages 12-13 commuting and general bumbling about. I have had 18 from it in the past, I was following a 2.5 NAD 90 to Wales :rolleyes:

Didn't clarify that our 110 was a 300 tdi, oh and driven my my mother. Not sure her feet are big enough to press the loud pedal all the way to the floor :rofl:

If you have larger tyres it can be worth altering the gearing ratios (trf box or diffs) to compensate. It can make for for relaxed driving and better economy

Your making me feel better and how would I find out if the previous owner had tweaked the fuel pump as it seems to pull like a train compared to other 300tdi's I've driven? Thanks

Of course , if you put your foot to the floor , it will go well. Are you saying you want to achieve better milage? or are you saying you drive it hard , and is 24mpg about right in these circumstances? I am a bit confused.

if you remove the diaphragm from the top of the injector pump and examine the cone part you will see a witness mark where the fuel pin has been running. If there are two witness marks then it used to run on a different part of the cone and has been tweaked at some point, if there is just the one it is unmolested.

Make a note of the position of the diaphragm before you remove it. In fact might be worth reading the tuning pdf file before you start so you know what I'm going on about.

http://forums.lr4x4.com/index.php?showtopic=76807&p=657258