Door theft, how can it be prevented..?

Hi,

I've been looking for a salvage Defender lately and have seen quite a few with nothing wrong with them but some scumbaggs have nicked the doors, bonnet too.

Pretty easy to do if you think about it, rechargeable drill with the right tool in it, Zip, zip.. Err, and another couple of zips and one door off, inside for the bonnet catch, bonnet off, rest of the other doors, in a van and away.. 5x mins max.. = a Cat D salvage.. Insurance rises for everyone..

Are there any security bolts that can replace the Cross heads or torx bolts..?

There are "do up only" bolts but I guess these would be a real pain if you wanted to remove your own doors at any time..

db.

The consensus seems to be that if you can undo them down the line, so can the scumbags. All the supposed "security fixing" bits are available form ebay.

Putting metal dowels in over your bolts seems a good plan, then you just have to drill them out if you want to remove the door, as opposed drilling out un-undo-able the bolt heads and then having to remove the remaining stud stump. You can then paint the hinge up, which would look nice and smooth on a newer truck.

Stainless Torx head screws then hammer in ball bearings. That's an old gate installers trick I heard once, the ball bearings are impossible to drill through what with being hardened and spherical.

Only problem is getting them out.

Cheers,

Mike

Hi,

I've been looking for a salvage Defender lately and have seen quite a few with nothing wrong with them but some scumbaggs have nicked the doors, bonnet too.

Pretty easy to do if you think about it, rechargeable drill with the right tool in it, Zip, zip.. Err, and another couple of zips and one door off, inside for the bonnet catch, bonnet off, rest of the other doors, in a van and away.. 5x mins max.. = a Cat D salvage.. Insurance rises for everyone..

Are there any security bolts that can replace the Cross heads or torx bolts..?

There are "do up only" bolts but I guess these would be a real pain if you wanted to remove your own doors at any time..

db.

Quite a few?!? Where!?

Hello everyone, my first post. First thank you all for a great Forum filled with generous advice.

Right to the problem....doors being pinched

My intention is to welds some pins/rods on the inside of the door, top and bottom of the lower part of the door. The idea that these pins will locate into 2 receivers on the frame of the bulkhead. The same idea maybe seen on the link below where they are regularly used for domestic doors

http://www.lockmonster.co.uk/prod/rola-r7-01-security-hinge-bolts-satin.html

In theory the scrotes can umdo the hinges but still won't be able to pull to doors off....assuming the lock holds

....anyway I intend to try it when my doors are repaired and are therefore worth saving

I think that this is a post that has been covered in a lot of depth in the past.

Personnally I favour some 5mm stainless ball bearings held in place by a dab of no nails and then knocked home into the torq screw heads with a centre punch reversed and struck firmly with a hammer. All you can hope is to slow them down.

Other forum members favour using 4 different anti vandal/theft fixings, so the Pikies need 4 different tools to undo the hinges.

In the meantime everybody is working like mad and scratching their heads trying to find a better solution.

Welcome to the forum, Capt. Carrot. You've picked the one with the best technical expertise, but even the grown ups on here can't solve these security issues. All ideas are welcome, and I look forward to some piccies.

Mike

tackweld the nuts on the door side of the hinge and drill the torx / cross head drive out of the bulkhead

hinge fixing...

Yes the bulk head screws could be drilled out , but much more effort than just winding the screws out

with a battery gun

cheers

Steveb

I like the idea of fake dents! That's very imaginative!

What about a length of security cable between the door & bulkhead - a bit like a check-strap?

Sure it could be cut - but it's still harder than removing the bolts.

Another thought - a plate bolted to the door which overlaps the side of the footwell. If the hinge is removed, the plate presses on the footwell side and the door cannot be opened from that side. When the door is opened, the plate rotates with the door away from the footwell side.

This still relies on the door lock however - which you can of course unlock with a rusty spoon!

Si

Just had a thought, add an extra lock. I know this idea has been shot down in flames before because of the weakness of frames and the mass of other ways to break into a Defender.... but in this case it could make the door less attractive to a thief because it is non standard and will have a non standard hole in the door skin?

I removed a pair of doors today, (which I own) and came up with an idea of drilling front to back, horizontally through the hinge, through the shaft of the bolt, out the other side of the hinge, 3.0mm maybe, then tapping in a roll pin. When you need to remove the bolts the pin can only be driven out with the door open..

Not fool proof as the heads could be drilled but it's food for thought eh?

Hinge pins could also be done..

Pat Pending..