HFHs "Centre Winch" Build Thread - ( Finally )

Today was the start of this project which has had lumps of bits for it kicking about for near 2 years !!

(Bloody Engine Build :lol: )

So, the main start of this involved cadging off a mate a rather fubared D4x4 Winch tray, which made the base of the project.

I have removed the Winch Hydro Tank, which will allows me to weld the mounting when finished directly to the rear roll cage.

I am looking for any thoughts and input, in fact I have a coiuple of options I would like feedback on.

The winch is a Goldfish unit, this was given to me, and was never used, few bits missing but can sort that out later :)

I really prefer the idea of having the winch mounted "Feet Up" under the fold of the tray, so its being pulled into the top winch plate

as such I have had to further modify the D4x4 Plate - poor thing ....

It was shortened to length, so that each end of the tray base can be vertically seam welded on each end, plus welded additionally

along the base of the rollcage mounts (8mm plate :P ) and also where the X mets the unit on the rear.

There are some Gussets now on the unit, and some more to come. Additionally I have cut a "LetterBox" hole to allow the rope to

pass through vertically.

Heres the result of the much modified and further modified Mounting :

post-22-0-24349600-1369500946_thumb.jpg post-22-0-17196100-1369500955_thumb.jpg post-22-0-54181600-1369500964_thumb.jpg

The ends have been folded back on themselves to form a end gusset.

Here it is in sort of situ.

post-22-0-48599300-1369501001_thumb.jpg

So, to strengthen the top plate I was thinking of adding gussets to the tubes

Version 1

post-22-0-28586400-1369501034_thumb.jpg post-22-0-34698800-1369501044_thumb.jpg

or

version 2

Tubes front front edge to X Tubes :

post-22-0-61832300-1369501092_thumb.jpg post-22-0-32197400-1369501103_thumb.jpg

Which would be better please ?

Anyway, whilst that is being worked out for me :P I decided I needed to add a fairlead to the letterbox so the rope has a nice smooth round

surface as its moving in and out, a rummage turned up some 22mm Stainless Rod, so did a bit of a fast mandrel make,

and then heat and bent 2 x loops up stainless does have take some heatin' and grubntin' :)

post-22-0-26907200-1369501208_thumb.jpg post-22-0-85763700-1369501218_thumb.jpg

post-22-0-38262900-1369501233_thumb.jpg post-22-0-34392500-1369501253_thumb.jpg

Time to break out Le Tiggy and practise my stainless welding, I love stainless TIG !

post-22-0-13996600-1369501393_thumb.jpg post-22-0-62946200-1369501381_thumb.jpg

Tigged up, will need linishing and maybe re tigging if low spots and then polishing and will be TIGged

to the letterbox on both sidesbut thats for another day ........

Let the ribbing begin :(

Nige

I'd go version one on the gussets, make them as long as the existing ribs & weld on the other side of the holes leaving just enough room for the mounting bolts & washers. Would do a 50% wrap around the tubes in 1/4" plate with a few 'speed' holes for good looks ;)

Today saw me TIG weld the Fairlead to the Mounting. Additionally I have welded a 6mm plate to the front edge of the fairlead

and seam welded it on the 2 x gussets seemed logical way of beefing the centre up ?

post-22-0-32543700-1369581212_thumb.jpg

Cage was Linished clean and then the mounting welded into place without to much drama, pig to get to some of the areas, but

its well and truly on there

post-22-0-12603600-1369581271_thumb.jpg post-22-0-75596300-1369581279_thumb.jpg post-22-0-67865800-1369581287_thumb.jpg

On the winch the freespool was at the base and would have required the mounting to be raised, so the position has been changed to face backwards

to do this undo the end cap 3 x allen bolts and remove, making sure a collar doesn't fall out ...then undo a ring of about 10 x aleen bolts sunken into the

housing, these are very long (circa 3") and have to be removed completely then pull the end unit to break the seal and roatate and line up the holes and

refit the bolts and end caps jobby done

Now, waiting for Mr Bish, I am unsure if it needs further beefing up ? - but have now its fiited 2 x possibilities so will wait and see.

They are in the pics below, needed or not ? which wuld be better, or what would be best ?

Calling Sir BishBosh :D ??

post-22-0-45335300-1369581520_thumb.jpg post-22-0-90772700-1369581529_thumb.jpg

I was thinking of V1 above, with it mounted as close to the rearwards most bolt as can get and then back to the X ??

And after the above is sorted and a coat of paint the cage vertcials and top mounting cometh ......

Nige

thats extremely heavy duty nige, where i do agree it wants some bracing as it is going to be pulled in a way the tray wasnt origionally designed for, and being attached at a right angle to the cage, i think 2 plate gussets of around 8mm would be perfectly adequate for your needs. The tray already has some engineered in twisting resistance, all it needs are 2 plate gussets to take the flex out more than anything.

extremely top job though!

Just add a stiffener along the free edge over the width of the bolt centres plus a bit. A piece of 50 x 5 flat should do it, or dare i say, whatever you have to hand..?? :ph34r:

post-121-0-41822600-1369680939_thumb.jpg

The piece of plate you added between the two original stiffeners is doing close to bu99er all, but it will add to the gravitational pull of your truck I suppose, which is nice. :D

Putting braces back onto the cage tubes is a bit overkill IMHO and tubes don't like out of plane loads. (have I said that before ? :P )

wow what are you expecting to pull with a centre top winch?

I could be wrong but it will never see the same loads of the front and rear.

with mine (ep9) i have even down graded motor to a smaller 3hp one, which makes the whole unit shorter.

I only really use my centre for changing tyres, the odd really bad side slope, and for putting the truck the right way up again.

Aye, your prob right Mr Moosey

But

I would rather build it strong and once and go overkill and then forget about it, and with the

help of those on here a la Sir Bish of Boshville build it right, I would never have put the gusset where Charles

suggested above ^^^ as such I would have got it wrong, would have "Looked" impressive but .....

As is its simple, welded on and with LR4x4 feedback and input Kin strong, yes its prob overkill, but hey thats what I do :D

I have wanted one for ages, now the engine is done I am a man (more) possessed (than usual :P )

Nige

wow what are you expecting to pull with a centre top winch?

I could be wrong but it will never see the same loads of the front and rear.

with mine (ep9) i have even down graded motor to a smaller 3hp one, which makes the whole unit shorter.

I only really use my centre for changing tyres, the odd really bad side slope, and for putting the truck the right way up again.

Exactly this.

Looks good Nige other than letting Mr Warne do your welding for you.... ;):P

:lol:

Seam welded on the inside, Upside down TIG a la 3.2mm rod + MIG on the outside, what a PITFA that was, hanging with feet on top of cage

and trying to weld , helmet falling off and have a lovely burn on hand through glove for me trouble ..Don't remember this as one of the

exercises on the TIG Course :lol: Now linished flat and now painted, .....thanks for your help hugely appreciated - what makes

LR4x4 what it is ! - and now to the top half :D

Please don't go on holiday, get run over or get even a F cold for next 2 weeks :D :D :D

Nige

Landrover conkers - That could be a special section at the next Mike Wolfe challenge he is planning :lol:

Nice colour Nige - I think BATTLESHIP grey pretty much sums it up :P