A new inventing shed arrives - build thread

Looks very impressive FF, when I need to create similar I'll have to give your supplier a call.

Having gone to all that effort with damp proofing and insulation, what have you done about the windows? Are they still single layer shed glass, or something better?

Having gone to all that effort with damp proofing and insulation, what have you done about the windows? Are they still single layer shed glass, or something better?

They started as single layer, they now have a sheet of UV-stable lexan behind them, plus some cheapo blinds. And some security features of course!

• 4 weeks later...
I'm about to buy another garage to go on a base I've prepared - a prefab one is likely..... But I'm surprised by how expensive they are.

I'm building my own, mainly to enable it to be tailored to the exact dimensions of the base (in my case 20' x 14').

Probably not much in it cost wise to be honest, it may even be slightly dearer to self-build. If you find a pre-fab unit the right size and shape that's probably the best option - certainly the easiest anyway!

Also, nice shed Fridge!

Well once I've got the shed built I can finally get on with putting the 110 back together, three years after I took it apart, so in a way yes! :)

This is my base. Looks tiny with a car sat on it!

post-10578-0-89586300-1379776325_thumb.jpg

Gonna be fairly standard shed wall type construction with a trussed roof, double vehicle doors on the end and a personnel door in one side (I think). It will be semi-modular to allow me to take it with me when I next move. I will likely insulate it to try and make it a more pleasant place to be in the depths of Scotland's finest weather. Living on top of a hill will expose it to said conditions which is one reason why I've upped the materials spec. slightly from what is offered in a pre-fab equivalent etc.

To give an idea of cost comparison, this is a pre-fab 20' x 14' unit from Williams Sheds which is priced at £1,995:

post-10578-0-87358900-1379776634_thumb.jpg

That price doesn't include the Onduline roof and is for the base spec. My initial costings sheet suggested I could build it for less than that, and to a slightly higher spec (ie. with Onduline roofing, thicker walls etc.), but I've no idea how accurate that is. And there is a slight gradient on my concrete base which I will need to adapt my design to accommodate, so a pre-fab one would have needed modifying anyway!

It depends how much time you've got to look for the bits. I'm building a 24'x13' at the moment. A very good quality company quoted me £3550 to supply and erect wooden one with ply roof and bitumen corrugated roof.

My costs so far;

Framing. I got 225 3.9m lengths of planed shed framing for £100 at auction. It's slightly thinner that i would've liked but I've estimated I need 90 lengths so I can double up anywhere I need to.

Cladding. I got 53m3 of 20mm thick direct from the manufacturer for £397.50

Door. I intended to make a wooden one but I got a new steel 7'6 x 7'6 canopy door and frame for free so haven't decided what to do yet.

Insulation. I cut polystyrene at work so I've been trimming the waste to the thickness of the framing and will eventually trim to fit in the gaps.

Roof and wall lining I haven't decided yet. I can get osb for virtually nothing so unless I come across some cheap ply I will probably use that.

Obviously if you just turned up at the local timber yard with a shopping list it would cost you a lot more but if you've got the time to hunt and the space to store you can do these things pretty cheap!

You might as well waterproof it with camel excrement as use Onduline, unless it's a lot better than it used to be!

What else would you suggest? I've used it in the past (it may have been Ariel Coroline but same kind of thing) and it was fine if supported properly. I.E. With an OSB or ply deck.

I don't fancy roofing felt.

Personally I would use trap-clad, it's galvanised and plastic coated (often green) and is very light to move about as it is about 0.5mm think or so...

There's often left overs on ebay, worth a look :http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/box-profile-roofing-sheets

You can get them backed with celotex or equivalent, which would do your insulation all in one.