Can this be repaired?

Nigelw

Right, I do not essentially need this to be repaired as I have a brand new box under my bench, but after having 4 contradictory answers to this I want to throw this out to the masses.

This is a steering shaft from a 4 bolt PAS box, it can clearly be seen where the seal runs it has become pitted and perished the seal.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/Rusty220913013_zps071e5307.jpg.html'>Rusty220913013_zps071e5307.jpg

Now I do not doubt CwazyWabbit one bit when he said to get it ground out, welded up and an a new sealing face on it with a cylindrical grinder, but 3 other people have uttered mention of hair line cracking, warping of the shaft and the likes so for all the actual engineers out there, can this be refurbished?

Ok looked into speedy sleeve and the only problem I can see with it is that the new sleeve would be thicker than the shaft slightly and would not pass back down through the needle rollers, so question is, could it be fitted the wrong way round so to speak?

Ie, could a new seal be fitted in the box and then the shaft refitted and then the speedy sleeve knocked up and under the new seal?

Or am I being too much like an old farmer in my thinking?

As you've pointed out, it would be impossible to assemble with a traditional sleeve. It's possible you could put it on the wrong way round - I guess ask the manufacturer!

Metal spray and grinding is the only proper solution IMHO. However, it might be cheaper just to replace the shaft!

Si

There are a few places that do that process to motorcycle forks, and they weren't real silly money, was cheaper than the replacement parts.

I seem to remember a guy on here mentioning having the balls on his 101 front axle done and it not being silly expensive, now I am thinking on a whole new tack and wonder whether it would be worth a look into after the speedy sleeve and true costs for build up and grinding back?

Maybe not, this thing is costing me enough as it is!!!

Engineers tomorrow, see what they have in stock for me :)

Forgot to add this is where I am at so far.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/Rusty240913001_zps2909f631.jpg.html'>Rusty240913001_zps2909f631.jpg

New seal going in to the bottom.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/Rusty240913009_zpse036563e.jpg.html'>Rusty240913009_zpse036563e.jpg

Seal retainer and dust seal going in.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/Rusty240913011_zps5a1c2a53.jpg.html'>Rusty240913011_zps5a1c2a53.jpg

And cirlip holding it all together.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/Rusty240913016_zps4c898e12.jpg.html'>Rusty240913016_zps4c898e12.jpg

The only thing I can see being a slight issue is that the vulcanized steel plate dust seal is quite a tight fit on the shaft but I gauged it and the sleeve should just slip under it.

http://s1186.photobucket.com/user/dieseldog69/media/Rusty240913003_zps106f700f.jpg.html'>Rusty240913003_zps106f700f.jpg

We'll find out when I get the sleeve to fit.

Ah ha!

I was at this stage a few months ago with a box in similar condition. I ended up fitting a good second hand box for sake of speed and simplicity.

Depending on the depth of the scoring I feel it might be possible to clean the surface on on a cylindrical grinder, without removing too much to stop a new seal running happily on that surface.

However as VB has said, grind, chrome, grind would be the correct way to effect this kind of repair :D

I seem to remember a guy on here mentioning having the balls on his 101 front axle done and it not being silly expensive,

Thats worth persuing. I have kept my old Chrome swivels, and it might be good to get them re-chromed. The Britpart teflon swivels that i fitted are wearing where the seal sits over night. They have patches of teflon following the line of the seal that have clearly gone thin ove the last 2-3 yearsn (i can see the metal underneath), so going back to chrome would seem sensible to me.

Ok lets look for chroming while I am out and about next week, I must admit, this turning up at different places asking for parts and services is doing wonders for my spoken Dutch, still getting flamed for writing in English on the Dutch forums though, but I always post a link to google translate for those that don't read English, seems only fair :hysterical:

I got a price of €15/each for the needle roller bearings for the shaft,so I am actually thinking along the lines of replace bearings on the shaft and fit sleeve if possible then fit into housing.

Not exactly got money to burn on this project but I am guessing that for the small costs in materials for each step I should only get as far as a recon box price, although chroming might whack the price a little but really would be worth it!!!

Nigel, at a guess I'd say looking at it that the original shaft was only machined, if you were to have it machined back to remove the scores and then hard chromed and ground back to original diameter you would have a shaft that would outlive the rest of your Disco

I'd lob the dust seal and fit the oil lip seal part-way into the housing, so it ran on the good metal between the two wear paths.

The trouble with the dust seal is that the main seal is soft and the dust seal is the steel plate holding it back under pressure, I did think about that though.

Well decided to do some leg work on behalf of forum members who have hit this obstacle many times before to try and get a run down on what the costs/implications of each process are.

Will keep you all posted :)

That's a very good point Bill, in the UK you're not allowed to weld certain steering components. I'm not sure if this extends to all steering components or what other processes are banned. Certainly worthy of some research, would also be a good idea for Nigel to check the rules in his neck of the woods.

That's a very good point Bill, in the UK you're not allowed to weld certain steering components. I'm not sure if this extends to all steering components or what other processes are banned. Certainly worthy of some research, would also be a good idea for Nigel to check the rules in his neck of the woods.

Oh shizzle, here we go, this could take a while(cue random elevator music) and let me see if google translate can do better than last time with getting over the gumph in the legals here :wacko:

Well, there's this:

http://www.wegcode.be/wetteksten/secties/kb/tech/321-art42

This bit is important for you:

Aan de stuurorganen mag, behalve door de constructeur zelf, niet zijn gelast. De delen der stuurinrichting mogen koud noch warm worden vervormd.

Translation: You can't weld on steering components, nor distort while hot nor cold.

So restoring to original condition shouldn't be a problem I think.

Can of worms I am thinking :huh:

I am going to consult further with Kurt and Marc over this subject, probably a few beers in the café too. As engineers they should be able to fathom out the intricacies of whether or not building up would affect integrity of the shaft, would love to chrome it too but let's have some drinking and chatting over this subject to iron out the difficulties and finer details.

HOLY COW!!!

Brain fart time, grinding it back where the seal sits and fitting a sleeve to original diameter, then grind lip off the sleeve to original diameter, think I just worked it out for myself???????

Anyone think that is a good or bad idea?