One for Si, whats happening to x-Eng?

Maverik

Correct. Si still owns X-eng and deals with all product design, prototyping and testing (the stuff he is really good at and enjoys) and all stock-holding, sales and distribution (the time consuming, boring stuff!) has been taken over by Foundry4x4 in Tredeager, South Wales. Steve and his team are now pretty much up to speed and should be able to deal with everything smoothly but can still refer difficult enquiries. Meantime, Si is enjoying being able to do a lot of design work on future X-eng products as well as doing some design work for other companies.

Chris

Service is good from Foundry as I found out recently...

They responded advising when a product came in stock and when I pointed out that there was an error on their site that meant every product was out of stock if you tried to order more than one, they were onto it and told me when they had solved the problem...

I hope this develops into what Si wants because we all love any of his products we have bought and More ideas to improve our vehicles or make them safer will always be welcome...

Neil

He was certainly very helpful today when I was ordering the pedal lock, despite having a customer in fromnt of him, and me being on a dodgy phone line.

He couldn't give me an answer about the forum discount, as he had to check up, but I'll report back when the bill comes through!

From the horses mouth - so to speak!

When X-Eng started, I spent maybe 90% of my time designing & prototyping stuff - which was great. Over the years, as it became busier, I had less & less time for design until the last couple of years when I've done nothing but run a shop! I respect Shop workers but it's not the best use of my skills!

Steve Edwards, owner of Foundry, who incidentally was one of the first friends I made in the industry, someone who I both like & trust, offered to take on the shop-keeping bit. Foundry have orders of magnitude more space - so can hold more stock (one of the other problems with running a wholesale business from Sussex).

Obviously, during the transition, not everything will be perfect - so please be patient with them. It's not a take-over, or a sell-out as people have suggested to me, they are doing me a favour! Steve has been busy negotiating with subcontractors and is gradually building stocks of everything.

The prices of things will not change, the commission paid to me will come out of their saving by buying larger quantities and lower overheads. If prices do rise, as with X-Eng of old, it will only be when source costs go up.

A lot of people have contacted me, unhappy that Foundry want to charge £5 for shipping on small items, where I charged £3. When I started, Royal Mail lost about 1 in 5000 parcels. For whatever reason, this has got worse and worse over the last 10 years to the point where I was at about 1 in 200 :o . I could cover the cost of 1 in 5000 - but not 1 in 200. If you send the same things signed for however, everything gets delivered (so far). From Christmas I was going to change to a signed for service - so the shipping cost would have been the same as Foundry, just delayed a couple of months.

I've talked to Steve about the Forum Discount - and it is going ahead. The delay is just in setting it up on their system which was not designed to accomodate it. With the integration of X-Eng, and running their original business, they have a lot on their plate at the moment - so please be patient with them! As I said before, Foundry are doing this to help me!

I'll still be at shows - and we have plans for a few new, interesting projects over the next year. So, watch this space!

Si

I'm really hoping for a headlamp relay harness because I'm too lazy to make one :)

I've tried to make this! The problem has been getting the Male headlamp connector. Sure, you can buy some from a number of sources on line - but they are either unreasonably expensive, or the quality is shocking! (pun intended!).

Because it's just a selection of wires & a couple of relays - there is a limit to what I think you can reasonably charge for it. The only connectors I liked cost £20 a pair in batches of 200 wjich made the economics of it just not stack up.

They could be made using spade terminals which you plug in to the headlamp harness - but it doesn't look very 'professional'.

I like the idea of an X-Like thread!

Si