Mach 5's again

gelf

im having problems with my 10x15 wheels on the discovery now with the extreme suspension fitted so i was thinking of down sizing to 8x15 rims as when i tried it the articulation was greatly improved due to better arch clearence on the rear.

would really like Mach 5's but im i right in saying that the quality depends on where you buy them from???

just correct me if im wrong and point me in the right direction. :)

im having problems with my 10x15 wheels on the discovery now with the extreme suspension fitted so i was thinking of down sizing to 8x15 rims as when i tried it the articulation was greatly improved due to better arch clearence on the rear.

would really like Mach 5's but im i right in saying that the quality depends on where you buy them from???

just correct me if im wrong and point me in the right direction. :)

Thats a weird comment, as ALL Mach 5s will have been made by Matt Lee.

I have heard of a FEW Mach 5s having problems, but I have never seen any and am 100% happy with mine, there is I think some history on Mach 5s, MJL used to buy in rims and add the centres, but now he makes the rims too as he freeely admits that he did have quality issues on early ones.

The latest ones (as are mine) have a rolled rim, and I would recomend them, you can buy off him direct and have whatever offset / backspace you wnat

Nige

thats ok then................

just that someone mentioned that they thought that they wetre made for ML by 3 different places and that quality varied.

obviously theyre talking rubbish then......

thanks

I wouldn't buy any more if they were sold for 50p each!

I personally had 2 sets - one of which were cracking at the junction of the spoke and rim. I called Matt Lee and spoke with him personally. He said that as they were 4 years old they were "beyond their intended working life" and anyway, what was I doing calling him about a 4 year old set of wheels anyway?

When I pointed out that perhaps the cracking was caused by a manufacturing defect or some sort and that as the manufacturer he might like to see customers driving around on safe rather than potentially dangerous wheels he said he wasn't prepared to do anything at all about it.

So... if you want quality, workmanship and a wheel you'd be happy to drive down teh motorway at 60mph - DON'T BUY MACH 5's!

If you want the same tarty wheels everyone else has got - then buy 'em.

I wouldn't buy any more if they were sold for 50p each!

I personally had 2 sets - one of which were cracking at the junction of the spoke and rim. I called Matt Lee and spoke with him personally. He said that as they were 4 years old they were "beyond their intended working life" and anyway, what was I doing calling him about a 4 year old set of wheels anyway?

When I pointed out that perhaps the cracking was caused by a manufacturing defect or some sort and that as the manufacturer he might like to see customers driving around on safe rather than potentially dangerous wheels he said he wasn't prepared to do anything at all about it.

So... if you want quality, workmanship and a wheel you'd be happy to drive down teh motorway at 60mph - DON'T BUY MACH 5's!

If you want the same tarty wheels everyone else has got - then buy 'em.

About the same as what I got from him, I had 2 crack and he also told me that Mack 5 are only rated to 750kg each. I know of a person that use to stock them and dose not now as he had brand new wheels that leeked air from the welds.

Paul

About the same as what I got from him, I had 2 crack and he also told me that Mack 5 are only rated to 750kg each. I know of a person that use to stock them and dose not now as he had brand new wheels that leeked air from the welds.

Paul

I know an Austrian importer that tried to get TUV approval (as required in that country) and there were issues. I don't know if the details are relevant but I can try and get them if anyone is interested.

Mmm, I have a couple of set's of the later rolled rim type,, and so far, had no problems,, best I give them a good check over !!

But would think twice about buying any new ones, if the attitude of the manufacturer is as quoted above !! :angry:

Guest diesel_jim

I'll tell you what looks good as a wheel, a mate of mine in the US has these....

wolf wheels, with the middle groud out and reversed. nice amount of offset (rather like disco rims) but they look pretty neat too.

and strong.

Mmm, I have a couple of set's of the later rolled rim type,, and so far, had no problems,, best I give them a good check over !!

But would think twice about buying any new ones, if the attitude of the manufacturer is as quoted above !! :angry:

If you are running inner tubes you will not see the cracks. The first thing you know about the cracks is losing air, but wuth tubes then you will not lose air.

Do a search for my posts and pics of my wheels to see what the cracks look like. But if you can not find them PM me and I will sort them out.

Paul

Why would anybody want a wheel that has only 3/4 the rating of a cr&ppy old white 8 spoke? :unsure:

May explain why they break though...

Think I would rather find an air leak than find I was suddenly running on spokes at 70mph, the handling may leave a bit to be desired and the noise levels might be a bit high :huh:

If you are running inner tubes you will not see the cracks. The first thing you know about the cracks is losing air, but wuth tubes then you will not lose air.

Do a search for my posts and pics of my wheels to see what the cracks look like. But if you can not find them PM me and I will sort them out.

Paul

Thanks Paul,, been searching and found the post & pictures, very intersting,

Do not run tubes, and rarely have to top them up !, but will give them a good check over

Reversed white 8 spokes is what I run!

Havnt broken them yet, but I'll blame Nige when they do casue he welded them!! IMHO they look good too.

I kinda liked Mach5's when they first came on the scene, but now everyone's got them, but they do seem to be hideously expensive IMHO.

Jon

My opinion - I would never run mach 5s either, the concept of so few relatively narrow spokes welded directly to the rim, whilst leaving large portions of the rim between the spokes unsupported is not my idea of a strong design.

There is too much scope for flex/damage during offroading which could lead to stress fractures near the welds. A conventional steel wheel design(aftermarket or genuine)has its rim supported by the wheel centre over a much greater area and is a much better proposition for serious offroading.

A mach 5 has to be made of much heavier metal to give similar strength to a conventional steel wheel in my opinion.

To state that a steel wheel is automatically beyond its useful service life after 4 years is quite patently ludicrous and if the Mach 5s are beyond there useful service life after 4 years, then they are 'not fit for purpose' in my opinion. There are plenty of standard landrover wheels in use that have covered many hundreds of thousands of hard miles over 40 or more years that are still perfectly serviceable.

On one of my expeditions I did over 20,000 miles through africa on 31 year old standard landrover rims and was and am quite happy to use those type of rims again. I wouldn't even consider using Mach 5s for such a trip.

Regards,

Diff

FYI guys, Craddocks are advertising black or grey 8x16 modulars with 'an inch wider offset than normal modulars'. A std mod is 3.5in. Price is £46.94

Gulf Coast Rovers in the US also do a wide offset modular with LR stud pattern that are cheap, but they won't to ship to the UK. I understand they're made for GCR by American Racing. Safari Gard also do wider offset modular wheels.

Kev

Mmmmmm

I was after a set for the racer but having said that I will be lucky if any rims will last a season......loads and loads of people race on them which is what there designed on and most racers run tubes.

if you do suffer a punchture a mod or eight spoke will have nothing left after a stage. the Mach 5's do tend to stay in one piece..

never mind four years

Craddocks are advertising black or grey 8x16 modulars with 'an inch wider offset than normal modulars'

Kev -- where did you spot these, you got a link? Can't find them on Craddock's web site -- just the JC121/JC121B and there's no mention of the bigger offset.

Cheers,

Can't rely on the pics I know but the Craddock/Paddock pictured on their web sites ones look identical to the 8x16 modulars I got from D4x4 earlier this year and they were "standard" (3.5") offset.

If there are 8x16 modulars out there with an inch bigger offset I want a set NOW :lol::lol:

(NB 8x16 modulars with an extra inch offset would be the same offset as standard 8x16 Mach 5s)