Inverters

JST

I am thinking of buying on so i can run a latop in the vehicle and recharge mobile/drills etc.

any recommendations and what Amp do i require?

James, I run a couple of 300Watt units bought from MVF for about 20 quid each. The seem to do the job quite happily. They are Draper.

I have a 350watt in my 110, came from the CB/Truck shop @ M5 services Exeter.

Just a thought, but realistically you do not want to be running more than a 300watt (ish) of the cigarette ligter, even then that pushes land rover looms to the best. More than that and you need to hardwire it to a battery with a cunning isolator. Tool station in bridgwater are rather competative on prices at the mo.

Just a thought, but realistically you do not want to be running more than a 300watt (ish) of the cigarette ligter, even then that pushes land rover looms to the best. More than that and you need to hardwire it to a battery with a cunning isolator. Tool station in bridgwater are rather competative on prices at the mo.

Mine is hard wired to the battery & extened from the output side of the inverter to a double UK 3 pin socket on the front left heelboard.

got a 300W one in the disco, will run the laptop, charge my digi-camera batteries or charge my DeWalt batts no problem, if its only for that kind of stuff 300W is fine.

i'd hard-wire it in though, mine is wired to my leisure battery via a 30A fuse.

you can see it in the picture below.

med_gallery_169_181_227631.jpg

I am thinking of buying on so i can run a latop in the vehicle and recharge mobile/drills etc.

any recommendations and what Amp do i require?

I have a 600W (1500W peak) one which I managed to find cheap in Maplin. One word of warning though, it may be that my battery is past it's best but, as you discovered the other weekend, when I switch the engine off the low voltage alarm on the invertor goes off and it stops making 230V.

Chris

Word of warning though... we no longer have in-car chargers for our laptops because they bu&&gered up the laptop batteries.

Don't ask me how/why or if it was an isolated thing but that was with CF-27 Toughbooks and they have a pretty damn robust PSU in them so it must've taken some doing :unsure:

If you must get a car charger for a laptop I'd advise searching eBlag for a genuine one for that model.

Word of warning though... we no longer have in-car chargers for our laptops because they bu&&gered up the laptop batteries.

I believe its something to do with the wave form that is created by an inverter... Normal AC is nice and slopey, Inverted AC from a DC supply is apparently somewhat notchy! or something like that! :blink:

For a brief moment there, I thought it sounded like I knew what i was talkin about!! :lol:

Dan :D

the dead beetle is actually a tacky shark logo, as the fuse box came from maplins and is designed for the 'scally car hifi brigade'.... :rolleyes: having said that its a good piece of gear for a tenner... ;)

the wiring is grubby as i've yet to wash off the remaining sahara dust.... :rolleyes:

and the messy bit goes up to an anderson connector mounted on the rear trim panel... :)

med_gallery_169_181_104852.jpg

OK, got one now - cheers Ed,

so i run the red and black to the battery even with my electrical skills i can work that out.

theres also an earth on the inverter case, do i need to run an earth to it or can i leave it or run a wire to the black cable that will go to the -ve pole on the Bty?

Don't ask me how/why or if it was an isolated thing but that was with CF-27 Toughbooks and they have a pretty damn robust PSU in them so it must've taken some doing :unsure:

If you must get a car charger for a laptop I'd advise searching eBlag for a genuine one for that model.

Its beacuse the cheap inverters are well...cheap.

They often have a very dirty sine wave coming out, more often a triangle wave. This is full of harmonics & noise. Either buy a 'kin expensve one, or use a mains filter after it.

They often also do not have very good cooling, so help it out by putting it in a well ventelad spot (i.e under a seat with air all around, rather than in a glove box, stuffed with stuff)

Personally i would avoid them.

why not find a 12->xV solution for your laptop/charger. I bought a 12V-15V PSU for my old laptop, for only about the same money as an inverter. Cut the laptop end connector off and inserted a connecor between, so i coulsd plug it into mains PSU or 12v one.

(Background - I have been into building & putting full PC's into my cars for a few years.)

I've bolted the case of my inverter to the body of the car, I don't even use the neggletive post and just ran one (fused) wire to the possletive. Tested with and without a temporary lead to the -ve, there's no difference.

You should connect the neg output.

There may be an internal connection to ground, but it may not be capable of the full current without causing damage. also you will certianly get a greater voltage drop & hence waste power.

Fair point - thanks for the tip. I'd not connected it because the two post terminals on the unit are a little too close together and if the ring connectors worked loose they could work round and touch each other - there's no chance if one isn't there! I take your point though, so I'll put a short wire in and insulate it properly.

(Background - I have been into building & putting full PC's into my cars for a few years.)

I'd be really interested in learning some more about how to do this succesfully- do you have any good web links, or any good advice from your experience?

I'd be really interested in learning some more about how to do this succesfully- do you have any good web links, or any good advice from your experience?

Best place to start is www.mp3car.com

Theres an awful lot of info & resource there.

if i can answer any specifics i'm HTH.