Heated screens

jbs

Afternoon all,

I was at the malvern autojumble on Sunday and was stood next to the son of the owner of this company: http://www.uroglas.com/contact.html , You need to ask for Steven and explain where you got the info from,They were selling heated windscreens for series land rovers and also 90/110, they also do them for 101 forward controls from what he was saying too, I asked the question about heated door windows for defenders-which would solve the problem of de-misting them, the owner(the father of the guy who was selling the heated windscreens) told me as he was there also, that they're also looking at a company to supply heated door windows for 90/110 vehicles too , they were a pleasure to deal with and are really down to earth when I was chatting to the pair of them, The father has been in business for 30 years and the pair of them seem to know what they were talking about, The cost when I bought mine was £100 a screen for my 90 but when you get in touch with them you will have to add P+P +vat too me thinks

HtH someone

John

Interesting..will keep an eye out...keep toying with the idea of heated screens for the Series 3's.....

I would have to check, but I'm pretty sure my 109's windscreens are Uroglass, supplied by D4x4. They've been very useful so far this winter.

I have Uroglas heated screen in the 109 (bought from Devon as they were the sole stockists at the time & Uroglas were evasive about selling direct :glare: ), works fine although I never did get solid info out of Devon or Uroglas about how to wire them (series or parallel, whether they needed to be on a timer to avoid burning out or could be left on indefinitely...) which was annoying :angry2:

Mine are currently wires in series (in my Series, ha ha!) as that seemed the "safe" option (least power draw), they take a while to warm up but do stay clear once they are going, and IMHO it's good not to have to rely on LR heating to see where you're going.

I expect they'd be brilliant running at full power (parallel), assuming that's allowed.

Afternoon all,

I was at the malvern autojumble on Sunday and was stood next to the son of the owner of this company: http://www.uroglas.com/contact.html , You need to ask for Steven and explain where you got the info from,They were selling heated windscreens for series land rovers and also 90/110, they also do them for 101 forward controls from what he was saying too, I asked the question about heated door windows for defenders-which would solve the problem of de-misting them, the owner(the father of the guy who was selling the heated windscreens) told me as he was there also, that they're also looking at a company to supply heated door windows for 90/110 vehicles too , they were a pleasure to deal with and are really down to earth when I was chatting to the pair of them, The father has been in business for 30 years and the pair of them seem to know what they were talking about, The cost when I bought mine was £100 a screen for my 90 but when you get in touch with them you will have to add P+P +vat too me thinks

HtH someone

John

Had a long discussion with Pilkington about heated door windows a few year back, they reckoned it was doable, but the low volume (i.e. 1 set) would have set me back a 5 figure sum.....

Heated door glass would be wonderful for Defenders, though TDCI vehicles don't need it. I'd look at fitting them to my 109 (Def doors ;)).

I wired the heated screens up in parallel so they have less resistance - that quadruples the current draw over wiring them in series, but they draw 18A like this which is fine for the Carling Tech Condura switch I use (no relays or timers to complicate it). The other advantage of wiring in parallel is that the failure of one screen won't affect the other. They're effective in seconds and only need to be active for about 30 seconds to clear fogging or a minute to clear moderate frost, so they don't drain the battery much.

The Uroglas ones can be wired up in parallel (I did with mine, no probs).

They do really need a timer as you shouldn't leave them on or you will end up with dead wires in the screen (look at most cars with a heated screen a few years old). I won't buy a car without a heated screen now. Think the RR classic / p38 had a heated screen option, and there is a timer relay you can re-employ from one of those (plug & play...)

Using a timer relay will have no effect on the longevity of the elements at all - my RRC's screen had a few elements fail within months, and my wife's Defender had a few faulty lines when we bought it aged three, despite both cas having timers. The screens in my 109 have a few elements which are cooler than the others too, though they still work (they clear slower than the rest, but the fog still clears over every element before clearing from all the gaps). AT least with the simple switch I can turn the screen off as soon as it is clear - the timer will leave it on for longer than needed. It's just one of those annoying realities - heated front screens will have failed elements. Even so, they're still useful.

Using a timer relay will have no effect on the longevity of the elements at all - my RRC's screen had a few elements fail within months, and my wife's Defender had a few faulty lines when we bought it aged three, despite both cas having timers. The screens in my 109 have a few elements which are cooler than the others too, though they still work (they clear slower than the rest, but the fog still clears over every element before clearing from all the gaps). AT least with the simple switch I can turn the screen off as soon as it is clear - the timer will leave it on for longer than needed. It's just one of those annoying realities - heated front screens will have failed elements. Even so, they're still useful.

No the timer will not leave the heater on for longer. As Ralph told us. Just flick the switch and the heater turns off

No the timer will not leave the heater on for longer. As Ralph told us. Just flick the switch and the heater turns off

Found that one out today in the XS - I had previously though it would just reset the timer to it's start point. Anyway, unless you are incapable of simply flicking the switch back to off when the screen has cleared, a timer relay will not affect the longevity of the screen - a timer relay is a nicety and only necessary for the most inattentive, inept driver.

I bought my screen from Ian at IRB - I forget the make. I paid a local screen fitter 20 notes to fit it - much easier. I use a bogo' relay (it draws less than 30 amps) and a switch with a very bright led on the end. Works fine. Takes less than 90 secs to clear a frozen screen. Still works fine after 5 years

a timer relay is a nicety and only necessary for the most inattentive, inept driver.

Why not just call the inattentive inept timer-relay owning git a w****r to his face? :blink:

Or should we just grab torches & pitch-forks and go round and smash his car up to teach him not to be such an utter arse?

Why not just call the inattentive inept timer-relay owning git a w****r to his face? :blink:

Or should we just grab torches & pitch-forks and go round and smash his car up to teach him not to be such an utter arse?

Are we still playing nice?

I've got a timer in the Volvo. I often let it time out too. I'd like to apologise to everyone for buying the car.

Snap. My 740 is cracking and was only £280 and the insurance was less :blink: but im not apologising

I have a timer in the Discovery and normally leave it time to my shame but often wonder why the rear doesn't require one.

Many years ago I worked in a FIAT garage. The 124 and 124 Sport had heated rear 'screens. Because the users switched the rear 'screen heater on and forgot what they'd done. We were forever removing the dash and repairing the in-line fuse holder that had melted.

Many years ago I worked in a FIAT garage. The 124 and 124 Sport had heated rear 'screens. Because the users switched the rear 'screen heater on and forgot what they'd done. We were forever removing the dash and repairing the in-line fuse holder that had melted.

Nice - fuse holder melting before the fuse they're holding... Even Lucas didn't manage that!

I'm not an advocate of the timer... if you want the screen to last it's longest... turn it on when required and off when it's done it's job, but if you're like me then you turn the thing on, and by the time the screen is completely clear you are heading down the road and have totally forgotten about it being turned on concentrating on driving... hence the timer in this case aide in keeping your windscreen alive for longer than if you left the thing on for longer than required.

Range Rover timer relay below, and schematic of how to wire the thing up (just a suggestion), if anyone wants it:

PRC6796.jpg

Windscreenheatertimer.jpg

I think I came across very badly - I wasn't having a go at anyone, and was suggesting that none of you need a timer and were quite capable of manual switching, especially as I was corrected in how pressing the button on the factory-fitted kit will shut the heater off, not restart the timer! A switch in an easily visible position or with a warning light (or fitting a warning LED in your field of view) is still simpler than wiring up a relay. But I did also say that a time was a nicety, not a waste... Sorry for coming over as saying quite the opposite to what I meant and causing offence!