DC100 why? will it really be made?

xychix

I've come a cross a few more DC100 movies.

Does anyone know if it's still the plan to stop with the defender in 2015?

Is the plan still to produce a DC100? I really don't see the difference between a Evoque and DC100, a moving computer, ow yes off-course the evoque is way prettier.

Or will the world get another alternative for the Defender, something that can run on bad fuel, can be taken apart to pieces and put back together... cause thats what (in my opinion) the defender is.

If one wanted something thats welded and can go offroad one would buy a Discovery... right?

note, I hope this is the right forum for this. May be moved if necessary.

or buy from outside the eu and import

That would likely be impossible as well.

Atleast in the Netherlands the Lada Niva isn't available anymore at dealers and can't be imported anymore for the same environmental reasons.

So in 2015 will the jeep wrangler stop being sold in the EU as it's not that different to the defender in shape.

Wrangler's date for the chop is 2018 I believe....and that's to do with regulations being introduced in the US.

My particular contribution to this rumour-mill based thread is what a dealer in Aberdeen told me, and that is that from 2015, Defender production will continue in Pune, India. Am sure people will start importing them, though with 10% import duty, 20% VAT, you'll need deep pockets

us farmers are starting to move across to the discovery for a defender replacement...

albeit an expensive farm tow 4x4 it is extremely capable both on and off road and un matchable for towing.

Wrangler's date for the chop is 2018 I believe....and that's to do with regulations being introduced in the US.

My particular contribution to this rumour-mill based thread is what a dealer in Aberdeen told me, and that is that from 2015, Defender production will continue in Pune, India. Am sure people will start importing them, though with 10% import duty, 20% VAT, you'll need deep pockets

most future defender owners are more than likely to be VAT registered anyway.

i also heard that the would probably only continue to produce a basic, 110 utility 2 and 4 door.

But it will only be a quarter of the cost of the U.K to produce it.

According to this months LRO Land Rover are doing away with the low box on most of their products, just having an ultra low first gear.... Looks like the start of a slippery slope. It looks like it won't be long before the only off roaders Land Rover make will be made abroad... or is it that the mags are so far a head it's the April 1st joke?

What do you need a low ratio for? The curb is barely 4" you know :ph34r:

What about competitors cars???

How many actually have a 2 speed transfer case these days???

Soft road, want anything more than that it has to be custom, end of an era and all that but gotta die some time as it will come to a point where there will be no SVA/IVA to enable custom/modded motors on the roads, already happened here in around 1980? Holland has now stopped engine swaps on anything newer than 1998, so yeah, slippery slope.

Toyotas range still has low box, at least the 76/78, 150, and 200 series Land Cruiser do, and as Miley says so does the L26 Hilux. If I were to buy a new 4x4 and actually intended to use if off road my first choice would be a Toyota.

.... from memory / rumour (and I know nothing... but will say it anyway!) .... the problem with the defender was pedestrian + passenger safety ratings.

.... emissions can be overcome I believe (different engines, gearboxes.... maybe hybrid drive etc .... aerodynamics of a brick maybe harder)

... market share is also a problem, they ain't selling like they use too... but maybe the market is saturated and people become spoilt with toys in other 4x4's + softroaders etc, and expectations are different too now (like a non-leaking car! [windscreen, sunroof, doors, etc]).

... I do believe that europe was pushing a while ago to stop engine swaps and mods.... although the problem was they were basically trying to get the MOT stations to identify if there was something non-standard, and then withhold MOT (roadworthyness) certification. There is a long running discussion on here with various other links if you're interested. http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1058371 ... bare in mind that you've got to be a really special MOT tester to be able to spot ANY modification from non-standard on ANY & EVERY vehicle, so I think it was decided it was a little hard to enforce (although Germany do do something similar, but their roadworthyness check is only 3 yearly I believe).

... redesigning the front end sound like a bit of a shortcut solution... lets face it a ladder frame chassis is not going to offer much in the way of crumple protection zones and impact absorbency characteristics

... I love the defender for it's ruggedness + mecanno options + the ability to work on it anywhere with very little in the way of tools and get it going..... but lets face it these are all things that current green legislation world wide is trying hard to dissuade ... it also keeps the car companies in sales with a new one replacing scrapped ones with a good frequency (cynical view)

German safety test every 2yrs after the first at 4yrs.

The TUV is quite strict and they do things like checking engine numbers too.

France and Belgium for sure use the COC system where a car has to obtain a manufacturers certificate of conformity in order to be tested and then registered, and yes they do like to check numbers off on cars too.

This system was devised to stop folk doing anything that could be dangerous to themselves or other road users.

Bit carp but there you go.

I wondered if the buy out by Tata would see defender move to being made in India. I had a bit of fingers crossed that they might go back to the 2.8 or other simplified engine design to suit the new market.

Out here I think land rover has had it's day for off roading, I just can't justify going on too much longer with a rover, I don't believe I'll buy another one, barring a true toy which will be treated more like a competition vehicle.

The newest disco I'd be happy with is still like 2004, so that's 10 years old. The sun here is taking it's toll on the interior and it's all those little fiddly things that are starting to add up (heater switches, sun visor blow out, sun visor clips, head lining, switches, heater flaps) as they all start to break and fault out it just get tedious to keep a car together that you plan to head off for weeks at a time in.

I think our next one will be a Toyota 70 series with the big 4.5 v8 diesel to handle any towing we do... It'll break my heart, I wanted a defender from about 8 years old and was chuffed when I finally got a series 3 back in 2004. I've loved every rover I've had, but with the dismal support out here, it's just got past a practical option :(