Is there a way?

Nigelw

Is there a deffinitive way to know for sure what equipment was fitted exactly to our cars as they left the factory???

Kind of a need to know as my buddy Wim has just been failed on the safety test due to not having anti roll bars fitted, to his knowledge they were never fitted to his car and even though the brackets are there this is the first time it has ever been brought up.

Vehicle is a 200Tdi Disco, not exactly a quarter mile racer I know but, I know my Rusty never had them and neither are the brackets on the chassis or axles for them either, but also knowing Rover, some did when there was stock others didn't when there was no stocks.

Anyone?

When I bought my 90 new (2001) I was paranoid about not fiddling with it to void the warranty, so I specified it should not have anti-roll bars or side steps. I don't know if anti-roll bars would have been fitted or not as standard, but I'm sure side steps were (CSW). My 90 came with neither.I don't know if that helps.

best I can find from my various part number sources is this

rear anti roll bar from chassis MA139686

front anti rollbar part ntc6836 up to chassis LA081991 then ntc6837 from chassis MA081992

it doesn't specify if optional fit or standard fit.

only other option is to visit a LR main dealer & get them to enter the chassis number on the LR system to see what the factory records say.

has he taken it to the same test centre or a different one from last time, are there any witness marks in the bracket bolt holes or on the brackets to show antiroll bars were ever fitted.

The VIN number (Vehicle Identification Number) which is visable through the windscreen will tell you exactly what factory fitted accessories were installed on the car when it was built. Just how you interperate the many coded letters I'm not sure but someone on the site will, I'm sure, be able to help.

The VIN number (Vehicle Identification Number) which is visable through the windscreen will tell you exactly what factory fitted accessories were installed on the car when it was built. Just how you interperate the many coded letters I'm not sure but someone on the site will, I'm sure, be able to help.

the VIN doesent neccesairly tell you what options the vehicle will have, it will have a linked build code, or "star number" as we call them at terex, this is a very long number indeed, and indicates all options and vehicle colour etc that was fitted to the vehicle on the line. this is something that is internal and although most probably available will take a fair bit of digging

only other option is to visit a LR main dealer & get them to enter the chassis number on the LR system to see what the factory records say.

Land Rover didn't even record the axle and gearbox numbers with the VIN in the 200/300tdi era, so do you honestly think they would record whether they'd fitted anti-roll bars?

I hate to offer the comics as a source of definitive info, but both LRO and LRE buyers guides state that anti roll bars were available as an option from '92, and became standard on the 300tdi in '94.

Drop me a PM if you want scans.

I'm not able to comment on anti-sway bars but the VIN does list the accessories factory fitted such as anti-lock breaking, air bags and the like. My VIN had to be altered when I removed my ABS and Air Bags - I was able to do this as they were not standard equipment.

In the dim distant past I had a 1990 Mpi that had the brackets but no bars. This was replaced by a 1993 Tdi that had neither. Both were bought new so were never tinkered with.

I believe that later Mpi models had Anti Roll Bars as standard because of their predominant use by Sales Reps and Estate Agents.