Paddocks HD Flanges

Are they stronger than Genuine ones? can they be used with normal halfshafts or they have to be matched with HD halfshafts? it's for use in heavy off road / Challenge, don't have enough money for the HD versions (with freight they are around 600 pounds).....

I've just fitted these on the Red One. They seem to slide on normal shafts easily, but as I (think I) have HD shafts they were a tad on the tight side to fit, but once you've got them on the first time its sort of 'machined' a news spline and its fine.

They haven't been tested out in anger yet so I cant comment on there robustness/longevity etc.

Steve

It is Mike and Anderzanders comments that reflect why I have never changed my flanges to the HD versions. The one thing I wish is that they made standard ones that have the screw on end as I like to remove the rubber caps on mine occasionally and pop some ep90 in them. After several removals, I manage to muller them so they need replacing. The caps that screw on would be nice for this.

I have changed my flanges lots of time the last two years, i suppose due to a combination of slow stop and go traffic, heavy off road with big kg number in the cargo area and sudden acceleration / desacceleration cycles (due to big traffic jams and cars trying to go into my lane). however, everytime the axle leaves in perfect shape and the flange completly screwed. We only have here britpart and Bearmach, both of them are really weak, so i was wondering if maybe this is an improvement, they cost the same the genuine ones.... bad idea then?

I fitted Bearmach HD flanges to brand new shafts when I rebuilt my back axle on the 110 - just because I had some about and the parts folk had delivered Disc brake rear flanges. I'd never fit them to a non Salisbury type axle - I like the idea of a fuseable link... But I do hate those pesky plastic end caps

I fitted HD ones as the normal ones lasted me about a month on roads with speed bumps (topes). There are hundreds of them in South America. More than 200 in 200km and they are sometimes only meters apart. Sized like a small "hedge" as someone put it on here...

The HD ones were a tight fit. I've fitted grease nipples to the nut so I can grease them. They last MUCH longer. As someone else said on here. Stop start and heavy truck kills the normal ones.

When I had standard ones I got genuine caps and made sure they are rubber not the harder plastic ones. I used RTV to stick them on. Never lost a cap In all of Africa but I did change the flanges 2 or 3 times as they were fecked. I did make a bracket to hold them on in the end. like a Y shape between flange nuts. Also stopped the halfshaft sliding out as much and kept it in the same position in the diff.

PS....only the rears. the fronts I've never changed and they are normal ones. The rears are HD.

I'm not convinced about the HD flanges either. It just makes the halfshaft the weak link, which isn't as easy/cheap to replace

I don't think this logic holds. The stock flanges do not fail from overload. They fail from wear. They do not protect the halfshafts.

I don't think this logic holds. The stock flanges do not fail from overload. They fail from wear. They do not protect the halfshafts.

They rust and wear out, just like the transfer box spline. I run oil, so the splines are mint. I believe they could be the weak link, which is in my opinion the most convenient place to have a weak link. I therefore still run standard flanges.

Daan

They rust and wear out, just like the transfer box spline. I run oil, so the splines are mint. I believe they could be the weak link, which is in my opinion the most convenient place to have a weak link. I therefore still run standard flanges.

Daan

I have the original drive flanges , and have H/D maxidrive axles and difflocks front and rear , from 1 year old , the factor as DAAN points out is they have been oil filled from new , as it is a 110 not a defender. I am however going to move to screwcap flanges as am fed up with fitting plastic caps , and the frequency has increased , the newer ones must be rubbish . !

I have the original drive flanges , and have H/D maxidrive axles and difflocks front and rear , from 1 year old , the factor as DAAN points out is they have been oil filled from new , as it is a 110 not a defender. I am however going to move to screwcap flanges as am fed up with fitting plastic caps , and the frequency has increased , the newer ones must be rubbish . !

Are the halfshafts knocking them off. One of mine does.

I meant that them being a weak link means that they wear instead of the half shafts, diff, propshafts, tbox.

No, they are the weakest link due to the lowest contact surface and softer spline material compared with a stub shaft.

This was the engineered weak link to enable rapid return to service without damaging any of the vital components further along the drive train, ie, CV joint, UJ on props and gear box internals.

In terms of wear and corrosion, they are prone to wear only on vehicles with greased wheel bearings, I have had to resort to the HD drive members to keep the oil in the hubs where I have circumvented the seal to allow full EP90 lubrication of every internal component, the oil seal is still present between the axle casing and the swivel housing but only to stop cross contamination should water ingress into one or the other component occur, I have never seen nor heard of a wear failure of these flanges where oil is circulating and providing continuous lubrication.