Workshop Lighting

One for the Sparkies !

In the workshop I have a large number of 4 5 6 ft flouresent tube lights....never seems bright enough

Have just been fitting new lights in the bathroom, these are 10 watt 35 degree LED and CHRIST they are bright !

Just wondering, with modern technology what might be good for a workshop vs Flouresent Tubes ??

Nige

The hf ones are better than the standard ones to work to, I find strip lights are about the best thing to work to as you don't get the patchiness and or shadows like you get with direct lights.

If your serious about the leds there is a regular electrical auction in goole that had loads in the last catalogue I saw. Think they're on bid spotter or lot surf.

You just need more tubes Nige, I have 6x5 foot and 20x4 foot single tubes in 55'x16' workshop and its really bright with very few shadows. We've also painted all the walls white which helps.

Or it could just be that you have too much treasure absorbing/obscuring your lighting?

I have floro's in my man shed, 6 x 80 (twin 40 watters) overhead and 6 x 40 watt at ground level, until the latter turn on it looks quite ordinary, once the low level ones are turned on however all shadows go and the light intencity is brilliant, ---- most people forget about low level lighting where most times its most needed.

second that painting the walls white, works well in mine, you will be surprised how much light you loose with grey walls.

I use 4 x 70W fittings and my garage is about 7.5 x 5m, changed one 70W lamp reciently and it's amazing the light output increase from one relamping.

You are suppose to clean the lamps too, I know mine had a good coating of dust on the top of the tubes (sandblasing, grinding etc).

I'd say as the others, paint white, run half cool white and daylight tubes, clean them once a year, we have on 40m2 9 double 5' Armatures plus double ones right over the workbench, you have to read on the tubes what light the give, if you know some one who works at a hospital, then they might be able to supply you with the onec they use, as they have a very good colour as I remember they are 98% close to give the right colour.

Or you can nick them, at one off your frekvent visits there.....ops Hat and coat, I am gone.....:-D