Volvo C303 Overlander Build

Have to say that's great security covering up the windows with the dropped body/like that, but how do you get in the back like that?!

Yeah its good. Might fall foul of the camper conversion rules as doesnt look like a camper from outside, so classed as a van.

The lower rear door drops down, think one can climb up in with the roof down.

What if the windows were on the top section? They'd still be secure when the roof is down.... But they'd be vulnerable to damage.

I like the protection / anonymous feature more than i'd worry about the classification one.

• 2 months later...

Some progress recently. having decided to redo a lot of the wiring and make a Mk3 dashboard, here are the results:

speedo is an Acewell model, gauges Madman. I have 2 arduino processors 1) monitors battery charge and handles linking, also fuel levels in 2 tanks and controls the crossfeed. 2) Reads the ECU CANBUS to display some values, Has a GPS giving lat/long heading, alt, Reads the merc oil level/temp sensor and the main screen shows GPS speed.

Left screen is the 722.6 gearbox controller

The layout might look slightly strange, but its designed that the steering wheel doesnt obscure any of the instruments.
20160831_125207.thumb.jpg.fe48541fddab5476fa2723518d5a02d4.jpg

Lots of lovely Carling switches, and circuit breakers rather than fuses

20160831_125232.thumb.jpg.98295f3498e908b66fc0a07bce03fbe0.jpg

Looks great Hoss, just need to find spot for the GPS navigation screen

Theres a gps module hooked up to one of the arduinos (middle screen) i have it displaying gps speed on main page, and a sub page with Lat/Long, alt and heading. For Nav i plan to use an ipad mini with MM.

And yes for you lot and your comments, the altitude is so i can check it pre-take off ;)

Those screens are nice. Have you got a link? What's the interface to them?

I did them myself, Its Arduino Mega boards with ebay OLED screens and my code.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGA-2560-R3-ATmega2560-16AU-CH340G-Driver-With-USB-Cable-Compatiable-to-Arduino-/301663040862?hash=item463c84b55e:g:DfoAAOSwWTRW1Qu5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2-42-128-64-OLED-LCD-Display-Module-SPI-IIC-Arduino-Yellow-/131641626206?hash=item1ea673ce5e

I'll help with anyone wishing to do similar, but you'll have to put in some work to teach yourself to program. There are good forums available to assist.

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested - myself included, in what you've done. In my case, the battery management would be interesting. I've currently got plans for a 'relay logic' design split-charge with autodisconnect - but I have been looking at Arduinos and have been messing with the basic 'Uno' developer board. Not made it as far as fancy OLED displays yet, just blinking LEDs!

Am sure others would like to see what you've done with the canbus i/f to the Merc engine.

Have you thought about uploading your code to github? (stop sniggering at the back!)

Or even just uploading the 'sketches' here with some light commenting of the code. I appreciate of course you don't want to slip into the hand-holding people!

And yes, fantastic 'cockpit'!

Matt

I did them myself, Its Arduino Mega boards with ebay OLED screens and my code.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MEGA-2560-R3-ATmega2560-16AU-CH340G-Driver-With-USB-Cable-Compatiable-to-Arduino-/301663040862?hash=item463c84b55e:g:DfoAAOSwWTRW1Qu5

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-2-42-128-64-OLED-LCD-Display-Module-SPI-IIC-Arduino-Yellow-/131641626206?hash=item1ea673ce5e

I'll help with anyone wishing to do similar, but you'll have to put in some work to teach yourself to program. There are good forums available to assist.

Thanks. I noticed the graphics, I've only used standard character displays. The picture is of my Leonardo based milling machine spindle controller.

post-84-0-02506600-1472840268_thumb.jpg

I'm sure a lot of people would be interested - myself included, in what you've done. In my case, the battery management would be interesting. I've currently got plans for a 'relay logic' design split-charge with autodisconnect - but I have been looking at Arduinos and have been messing with the basic 'Uno' developer board. Not made it as far as fancy OLED displays yet, just blinking LEDs!

Am sure others would like to see what you've done with the canbus i/f to the Merc engine.

Have you thought about uploading your code to github? (stop sniggering at the back!)

Or even just uploading the 'sketches' here with some light commenting of the code. I appreciate of course you don't want to slip into the hand-holding people!

I havent finished the battery mgmt bit yet. I will be using a Texas instruments IC which provides a very good tracking of charge state. Something thats more important for the aux battery than the main. Knowing exactly the state of charge and how many minutes you have left under certain conditions is quite important if its running your camp.

I've reverse engineered the OM606 oil sensor, which sends a serial data stream for temp, level and condition. Concerning the ECU thats hard work, the messages aren't published information, it takes a lot of sherlock work to determine whats what. So far i have found rpm, coolant temp, IAT, TPS, what i really need is a few of the status flags like engine check light and glow relay.

I use a Sparkfun Canbus sheild on the arduino for that, and a USB/CAN dongle for sniffing whats going on.

The displays are dead easy, look for a library called u8glib, its well documented.

I'd be happy to share the code, since i have no plans to sell any of this stuff. But its not finished yet. Hence I'm not going to publish it at this point, but i'd be happy to share bits and help with anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, HoSS said:

For those interested in the Arduino boards... When i get a chance i will write up what i've done in a couple of separate threads.

Thanks again for keeping the updates coming Hoss.  I would also like some info on the Arduino boards

Nick