Recommend me a Screwdriver Set for the toolbox

All,

As subject line really. The time has come to replace my US PRO Tools Screwdriver set for my main toolbox. They’ve stood up well to 7yrs+ of use and abuse, but finally some of the tips have snapped off and the pozi drives are getting a bit worn. So am tempted to replace them with another set of the same, but am curious as to what others are using?

Matt

Got a Teng tools set that have put up with a hell of a lot of abuse! BUT when they come to the end of their life, I'll be looking for a hammer through set. Britool are not that bad, expensive tho. Local grease monkey swears by Halfords professional range

At work I use Stanley fat max (I think that's what there called) you can get incredible levels of grip on the I have sheared M6 machine screws. They seem to last well but I expect to replace adout every 4 years or so. But they don't have hammer through and you can't use a spanner on them though you don't get blisters with them either.

Mike

About the only bit of Halfords Pro I've been impressed with, is the screwdrivers. Hammer through, can take a ring spanner drive, and hold an edge as well as anything I've used. Mine are about 10 years old and due replacement, and if they are still the same I will buy again.

I've got a half dozen Facom screwdrivers which I think are the same as Mikes Stanley ones - I keep them for work use though, so no idea how well they stand up to workshop abuse

i bought a set of stanley ones the other week as they looked like my type of grip, snapped the tip on the largest flat bladed one first time i used it undoing a hinge screw on one of the doors at home, nothing particularly manly, not being abused at all. My work set are Snap on but £££'s!

Halfords pro ones are good for the money but have managed to snap all 4 teeth off on the no2 pozi drive again just using bare hands, theoretically lifetime warranty but i didnt have an invoice for mine (came free with my home tool chest) so they wouldnt exchange

Thanks guys, so that’s two in favour versus one against for Fat Max. Mike that’s pretty impressive given how harsh an environment boat yards are to kit. Nevertheless the ‘hammer through’ functionality is useful to have, even if it should be a last resort. I also quite like the grip on the US Pro stuff so will stick with what I know.

I bought a set of Sealey/Seigen ones from the local tractor place. They are hammer-through, cheap enough to lose and take a ring spanner on the handle. 7 years of abuse and only one is starting to show signs of damage after being used as a chisel by a mate. The handles could be more comfortable but they take up less space in the toolbox draw.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAROUT-Sealey-Siegen-Screwdriver-Set-HAMMER-HEAD-12-X-SLOTTED-PHILLIPS-/360997904335?pt=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item540d26dfcf

Wera aren't at all bad, they do the red/yellow insulated stuff for electricians, yellow range have the hammer through on the bigger sizes. The green ones have a diamond etch on the blade tip to grip fiddly screws. They won't break the bank either, screwfix do them.

I like the wera ones too, excellent value.

I posted this answer to the same question some time ago

For years I've been hot on Snap On screwdrivers and have sets in all tip types, once you have used a pro quality tool I think it's impossible to go back. I'm not saying every DIYer or home mechanic on this forum needs to spend hundreds on snap on, but I think screwdrivers are one of those hand tools where you get what you pay for and quality counts. Now I'm office bound I'll not buy any more though

For the man on a budget I heavily recommend Wera screwdrivers, either laser or chisel tip are good, your choice will depend on your level of finesse (or butchery). Screwfix have them in sets of six for less than twenty quid which is excellent value

I have Stanley and Kennedy, both have lasted well. Have Kennedy at work and they must be 10 years old and used almost every day.

My boss did ask me if I would like to get the snap on van in, I asked him if he wanted to me bankrupt in 30 days :D

Snap on screwdrivers aren't that good anyway,the only reason I use them is that I can abuse them badly when I need to and get broken blades replaced for free without going anywhere.(12 miles to the nearest place for tools...) You just dont lose them....

I also have wera ones for actually screwing with and some cheap yellow handle ones for all those other jobs a flat blade screwdriver gets used for. Get yourself a bit driver and some bits (snap on ones are about £3 each and seem fairly good) for the socket set, that way you get decent force on trickier jobs.

Will.

I use the Wurth set and also in workshop environment, they are 10 years old this year and I guess there is still a fair few years left before replacement is required. All hammer through and can take a spanner if needed.