Which tyres for Amatuer at Winch Comps

Lewis

I am considering which tyres to get for my 90. The car runs Gwyn Lewis suspension on Red/white RR springs so not much lift, but I wouldn't mind cutting the rear wheel boxes for clearance on larger tyres if i have to. Its going to be my everyday car but i do ocaisional lanes, go to the pay and play site every month and would like to try a few winch comps next year. I have another set of tyres for the road. :)

I have spoken to as many people as i can and canvassed opinions but i am still undecided.

Current options are:

Simex Jungle trekkers in 34 11.50,

gallery_1739_196_15122.jpg

+ Large

+ Quality tyre

+ Fantastic Grip

- Spendy

Greenway Anaconda in 265/75 16

gallery_1739_196_1104.jpg

+ Cheap

- Remould

- Small

Petlas 900s(?) [dont know who the guy is or whose truck it is, was just the only image i could find of these tyres ;) ]

gallery_1739_196_7961.jpg

^^ Does anyone know anything about these tyres? ^^

Insa Turbo Special Track 265/75 16

gallery_1739_196_2075.jpg

+ Cheapish

+ Simex Copy

- Stiff sidewalls(?)

- Very Noisy

- Simex Copy (not as "cool" as the real thing) :rolleyes:

- Small

So what does the panel think?

Has anyone got any other suggestions?

My 90 is on standard 10-spline axles so is it a bit optimistic thinking i can run JT's without an endless supply of halfshafts/cv's? :(

Any help is gratefully received

Lewis

I have been running the Insa Special Tracks 235/85/R16's (32and bit inches) I cant fault them :i-m_so_happy: Had Grizzlies before that, couldnt fault them. But the Insa have loads more grip...afterall its a Simex copy.

On road they are a bit noisy and your braking can be a bit funky in the wet.

Done about 4000 miles on them now, and they are just showing a small amount of overall wear.

Running more than 33's on stock axles. I believe is gonna start causing grief. Spoke to a few people whom got the Daddy's (Simex ET2's) running stock axles and they all have atleast done a halfshaft or two.

It all comes done to the ££££'s

What ever you buy you will always wished you bought the other..... :P

If you can afford Simex, buy Simex, they are excellent.

If you want do road milage buy Jungles, or if you can buy Extremes (Cos if you don't will wish you had)

And fit different cheaper tyres for road work.

But trust me, What ever you buy, you'll want the other :rolleyes:

Jim :)

BUY THE EXTREMES :ph34r:

Mate of mine had a 303 with 9.00x16" Petlas, they're a tough tyre (as in military) so will probably last longer than Simex but be less flexible and a tad heavier. I thought 9.00x16" was about 35-36"?

9.00's are supposedly 34" but the actual size they measure up at varies wildly depending on what make they are!

Jon

With stock drive train i wouldnt go above 33" (255/85R16) other wise CV and shaft changing has the potential to become a regular past time. you also wont need to trim arches or worry too much about altering the gearing

what road tyres are you running, std road pattern of ATs/MTs? What tyres have you been running lately on the pay and play days?

if your determined to have a 'with the look tyre' tyre then i would go for the Simex or copy.

can you get 33" insa turbo tyres? the simex copy ones, that would get my money or try fedimas in 235/85 or 33" size.

My advice, get a set of JTs second hand. they come up fairly often in fairly good condition when people upgrade to ETs. that way you save a few ££££, get a good tyre that's not as agressive on the drivetrain as ETs. That'll give you the chance to upgrade some of the driveline when funds allow before switching, possibly, to ETs.

P.S. I ran 33 x 11.5 Simex JTs for about 6 months on standard drivetrain and only broke one shaft.

what road tyres are you running, std road pattern of ATs/MTs? What tyres have you been running lately on the pay and play days?

Road tyres are 235/75 Runway Enduros IIRC and are pure road pattern, will probably change to 235/85 when they need replacing.

On my old 90 i had 265/75 16 Bronco Grizzly Claws, they were fantastic off road but a bit noisy on road (I know that all aggressive tyres are like this). I broke 1 shaft in a year, this was again with standard 10spline axles.

Currently I have 7.50 "Made in Wales" :rolleyes: Super Mud Plugga's that have been re-cut with the tyre cutter, they have been used just to move the truck around the field and workshop though so no real experience with these. They are tubed and perished so need replacing, hence my questions :)

I should point out that i intend to upgrade axle components, shafts cvs etc at a later date when funds allow, I was just concerned that buying larger tyres (simex) now would mean that in the mean time the car became almost undriveable offroad due to excessive breakages - afterall i dont want to be spending all the time in the mud swapping shafts :(

Lewis

I know of ppl including myself who run 35" simex et's and have never broken a shaft or cv or ppl who have broken very few shafts.

I run a 200tdi 90 with standard shafts and a rear locker and have never broken a thing and it isnt thought lack of trying :ph34r: only time others i know of have gone is when a wheel has been in the air and come down heavy while spinning. Saying this i have had my shafts out recently and they are begining to twist but this is a year after having the tyres so at the moment im going to stick with standard shafts.

It will depend on terrain and your style of driving as well though :P

I know of ppl including myself who run 35" simex et's and have never broken a shaft or cv or ppl who have broken very few shafts.

I run a 200tdi 90 with standard shafts and a rear locker and have never broken a thing and it isnt thought lack of trying :ph34r: only time others i know of have gone is when a wheel has been in the air and come down heavy while spinning. Saying this i have had my shafts out recently and they are begining to twist but this is a year after having the tyres so at the moment im going to stick with standard shafts.

It will depend on terrain and your style of driving as well though :P

Ditto, if you're sensible then you'll be fine.

i agree in principle on the driving style however the tyres make a difference, i have only broken one shaft that was a reasonably deep bog, rev, low box diff lock in, engine at idle, clutch up and it went. that was on 33" MTs as well.

i run petlas which i find are a good cheep aggressive tyre, i have front & rear arb's and standard shafts/ cv's i havent broken any yet (touching wood as typing) .

the petlas sold now do not have the right rateing for road use though.

Guest diesel_jim

I used to run a set of general SAG's 7.50x16. quite big for a "7.50" and bloody good grip off road! i reckon better than the SAT's used to be, and slightly taller.

if you're only running stock cheese-strength drivetrain, then these are pretty good.

Simex ET's really are the comp tyre of choice but it depends how extreme you want to go and how deep your pockets are!!

I've herd good things about the Insa Turbos but bear in mind at 32/33 inches and probably a truck carcass underneath the re-mould its a different beast all together apart from tread style!

P.S - not seen you round uttox, fair few about but not seen anything like your avatar pic.

I've got some Insa Turbo 265/75R16 on order, after waiting a couple of months they are nearly here so will report on the results.

In particular it will be interesting to see how remoulds hold up on gravel roads. Past experience indicates that, well, they don't :unsure: but we'll see :)

Thanks for all your replies, it gives me something to think about. As suggested i will probably look for some secondhand Simex JT's, anyone selling any? :D

Also has anyone got any recommendations for where to get Simex new - who is cheap, who gives good customer service etc

"Stripy"

i run petlas which i find are a good cheep aggressive tyre, i have front & rear arb's and standard shafts/ cv's i havent broken any yet (touching wood as typing) .

the petlas sold now do not have the right rateing for road use though.

What speed rating do they have, how tall are they? Are they as stiff as the ex-military origins suggest? Are they good in the mud?

P.S - not seen you round uttox, fair few about but not seen anything like your avatar pic.

Smo, what do you drive - i thought i knew everyone around here (Uttoxeter) that was into Landy's. The pic in my avatar is an old one of my S2a daily driver - Try the photos in my galleries for a few more. I used to drive a blue Tdi 90 with Grizzly's and loads of lights (doesnt everyone? :) ) The new 90 lives in a field at the moment, waiting for a few finishing touches before the MOT.

Cheers eveyone

Lewis