Custom tyre design - interest? Could we get someone to make some?

For sometime I've been trying to find the tyre size/type I want. But it seems such tyres are not available.

However, I wonder if we could drum up enough interest would it be possible to find someone to make a limited run? I don't know the feasibility of this with current regulations and such, although if a suitable carcass could be found, maybe a remould would be more likely. But I suspect the size might be the issue.

---SimonR - are tyres a thing of interest to you maybe? I know you are a bit of a genius at building stuff.

However failing that, I'm going to post this anyway!!!

My current musings.

Tall and thin. Why, because they work really well on a lot of British muddy terrain.

Tread pattern something like this:

Tyreidea.png

Sizes:

7.50.35 16 (not a 235 width!!!)

7.50.35 18

e.g.

190/125 16

190/115 18

Road legal and speed rated.

I'm not certain how the large sidewall on the 16" would be to drive on, which is why an 18" might be a better option. Although lack of narrow Landy 18" rims would prove an additional problem. However the right ply rating I would think would make this ok. A proper 32" tall 7.50 16 should works out as approx 190/105 16

I don't think you'll find much interest in a tyre that small. The smallest tyre amongst my off-roading mates is a 34x11.50

But is that because you can't buy anything narrower? The tyres I'm proposing would be taller than a 34, just narrower to cut in better and not float so much.

Wide tyres have a place too (I have 33.11.50 Simex's). Just not always.

I work in the tyre industry so I have a little knowledge of the subject, although I'm not an expert tyre designer by any stretch of the imagination.

I think there are many problems involved with this, first will be the cost of a mould for what will probably be a tyre that will sell in small quantities due to the niche market it's aimed at.

I think it would have to be a re-mould because the major tyre companies will not want to invest a lot of money for something which will sell in small quantities, so it will take a long time for them to recover their investment. Even a re-mould would need a tyre casing of very similar dimensions to what you want the finished tyre to have. So, if your 190/125-16 tyre doesn't already exist you can't produce a re-mould of those dimensions.

Then there are all the new regulations governing tyre labeling which have recently come into force. It is getting more and more difficult to design tyres which meet the relevant legislation with regards to rolling resistance, wet grip and noise. Gues what the worst tyres are for meeting the legislation? Yup, off road tyres.

Incidentally, by my calculations (which could be wrong as maths was never my strong suit :wacko: ), your 190/125-16 would measure approx. 34.7" in diameter, not much taller than the 34" you talk about.

Seems like a non-starter to me (or at least a very long shot).

Not that it helps the thread in any way, but two sets of spring perches. Most interesting? What's that robbed off then?

I often think about narrow tyres for clay work. But I wouldn't want to buy a set. It sinks too fast as it is, in the really deep stuff. I cheat by pulling a 265 onto a rangy rim. That does the biz.

Why not just attack a 35/10.5 r16 silverstone with a Tyre cutter?

Same effect, far fewer hassles.

If you like narrow and large, the fedima simex copy is a good start; I believe it is produced by remoulding a 900-16 carcas.

Daan

Aye, those are the ones I have on my trayback. Very tall and narrow.

20343616my.jpg
20343617cz.jpg

Yep they are very cool. But very hard to find. TyresDirect (UK importer??) said they haven't seen any for two years due to a lack of available carcasses. Although this might just be for the UK market, as Fedima still list them on their main site.

You can forget getting what you think you need , as its a non starter , speed rating , load rating are very dependent on tyre casing , tread design /depth of tread etc . The nearest thing you can get to your "design" would be an agri row crop tyre , load rating should not be a problem , but speed rating might be just doable with a early series type landrover , certainly not with a 90 . The end result would be something along the lines of a forest rover

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=forest+rover&client=firefox-a&hs=Z2j&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=nts&tbm=isch&imgil=eFoszk2b6NTw2M%253A%253BSdEnqd_0qGkY5M%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fforums.vwvortex.com%25252Fshowthread.php%25253F2963258-The-everything-Land-Rover-thread%25252Fpage5&source=iu&pf=m&fir=eFoszk2b6NTw2M%253A%252CSdEnqd_0qGkY5M%252C_&usg=__P0B-xHlje1YIgBQR3RdxRdCNKkQ%3D&biw=1024&bih=710&ved=0CC4Qyjc&ei=h-qFVLfiAsKR7AaPk4DgCQ#facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=eFoszk2b6NTw2M%253A%3BSdEnqd_0qGkY5M%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fi110.photobucket.com%252Falbums%252Fn100%252Fmrburns71%252FIMG_0206_1024.jpg%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fforums.vwvortex.com%252Fshowthread.php%253F2963258-The-everything-Land-Rover-thread%252Fpage5%3B800%3B534

Thanks, but no, not really this sort of thing at all. Those agri tyres are much much taller.

All I want is a 35.12.50 size in height, but narrower.

Well several reasons.

1. It wouldn't actually make it any narrower, which is kind of the point.

2. It's illegal in the UK to run 'cut' tyres on the road.

1. You could re-cut it to make the tread narrower.

2. Not if they're commercial tyres of 16" diameter or greater which were designed to be re-grooved it isn't. However, you can only re-cut the existing grooves so you would not be able to sculpt your own pattern as I've suggested above.

1. You could re-cut it to make the tread narrower.

2. Not if they're commercial tyres of 16" diameter or greater which were designed to be re-grooved it isn't. However, you can only re-cut the existing grooves so you would not be able to sculpt your own pattern as I've suggested above.

There is a weight requirement to run recuts as well, and any landrover isnt heavy enough . HTSH

My only experience of 'bespoke' tyres is from the late 90's. We approached remould manufacturer Colway (no-longer exist) to build a bespoke off road motorsport tyre, similar to some found on the continent. The outcome was a variant of the diamond pattern, which itself is a variant of the BFG MT-type pattern that Colway already offered.

Colway did a feasibility study, came up with some designs and then put the tyres into production.

Remould therefore might be possible, but the initial outlay for the moulds is significant, I seem to remember it was between £20-£50k back then! Any manufacturer would have to be very sure that the product had a big enough market, and I expect that the niche you are exploring is sadly even smaller than the off road speed event market we were looking at back then!

One of the other issues that hampered Colway then was the availability of decent carcasses to work from. 7.50+ carcasses are now pretty rare and any remoulder will struggle to get the raw material to work from. 7.50's were the first of the C-Trax Diamonds to disappear.

I've been mulling on this for a few days. I think the problem is that, once the ratio of width to height gets too skinny, the tyre sidewall would need to be very stiff to prevent serious handling problems (even off-road. Think of steep side-slopes!). Stiff side-walls bring their own problems off-road.

However, such tyres have been made. I've even owned them. The only problem, is they came on 20 inch rims! Yup, old trucks had 6.50, 7.00 or 7.50 tyres on 20 inch rims. Big diameter, skinny rubber. My old British Bedford even had those in a tractor tread. All you have to do is find some of those and adapt the rims to suit. While that is a long shot, I'd say the odds are considerably better than getting impractical 16 inchers made by anyone...