Help me choose/build a LandRover?

Turbocharger

So, after 15 years with my Defender and 3 years of marriage, Mrs Turbo is pregnant and it looks like life is about to change. My Ninety has been struggling on despite a crusty chassis and even crustier bulkhead but some snatch recoveries have deformed the rear crossmember over Christmas so this might be the moment to stop patching and make a stand.

The sensible choice would be to buy a Disco but I like the small size, big tyres and clearances of a Defender, mine is in good shape mechanically if not structurally and there's an emotional attachment to it after 250,000 miles and trips through 11 countries. That attachment might be clouding my judgment!

post-277-0-72673400-1420122698_thumb.png

I use the Ninety for laning, tip runs, very occasional overlanding (eg Morocco in May 2014), towing things about etc. We've got two Volvos and a Lotus so it's hardly an essential vehicle in the fleet! The issue with building a truck is that I'm commuting 3hrs each day (by Volvo), which doesn't leave much time for spanner in.

At the moment I'm weighing up:

1) a 300 series Disco purchase - cheap, quick, quiet. Too big for my garage, cumbersome overhangs and easily damaged, I'd have to sell my Ninety for bits.

2) a chassis swap service plus bulkhead for my truck (several are advertised) - I get my truck back but probably very spendy and nowhere easy for children.

3) a 100" Tornado frame with some tweaks eg child seat. Solves the chassis and bulkhead issues, costly and gives what I want but still doesn't solve the child seat issue.

Thoughts or new options?

Congrats on the upcoming Turbocharger Jnr! :)

I've just been through a similar process - although with a 12 year old who can no longer fit in the middle seat.

I've ended up with a 110 - it's a weekend/toy car similar to yourself. A disco would be quieter/comfier/more usable every day, but it's just not the same....

A TD5 Disco sounds like what you need. Fastish, quiet, easily maintainable.

My choice would be to go for an auto, with ACE, for the best package of overall agility. ACE really makes towing a lot nicer! Though I'd go for the lowest trim-level [leather seats and dogs/logs/mud/kids are an unhealthy match].

Any Disco is going to be a *much* more family-friendly vehicle than a Defender.

(I have plans to replace my 90TD5 with a D4 "Commercial" once I've sold my business).

A 300 TDI disco will have body rot and will likely die in the next few years, so I see that as a short term fix.

After that it comes down to what you want the car for? If it needs comfort anf family travel capability, a disco of some sort it is. If you plan on using as a second car for fun, then a 90. After that it's what 90 or what disco.

Assuming you can justify running multiple cars I'd rebuild your existing 90. Probably it will be most cost effective longer term. I don't see much in the way of depreciation on 90/110's once production stops. Think of 110's in America - silly money for a old truck.

I have a similar dilemma - 19 year old 300 tdi disco as a daily driver, fancy a change. But a disco 3 is a bit £££ and I see big maintenance bills. However a 90 is bit agricultural for a daily drive. But i think it will cost the least to maintain, hove the lowest depreciation etc. I'm swaying towards a 90 and £1000 car.

Firstly, congratulations! I've got a 3 month old daughter and she is amazing. Prepare for your world to be turned upside down. Also, whatever you decide,do it ALL before the little one puts in an appearance. You will never have any time to tinker. Even right now writing this mine is asleep on my lap after a bottle. Workshop time is very limited, and even when you do get a chance sleeping seems more appealing.

Regarding car choice, big is good. Babies come with much paraphernalia. I can easily full my p38 boot with just essentials. Bigger back seats make getting a car seat in and out easier. And if you ever want to put them in the front, some way of disabling airbags.

Tornado does look nice but hugely impractical for your needs. I'd vote range rover or disco purely for practicality.

Congrats on the future family member, I have a two year old, a S1 and a hatch back. Personaly never seen the need to own either a van or a bus, we only carry a seat, a stroller and a small bag! It allways astounded me the amount of stuff some people think they need just to go to the shops!

The only reason I am conserding adding a Disco to the fleet is two older kids, wife, me, baby plus wifes parents equals seven seats!

Offroading is a two seater at the mo but I am adding a rear facing bench between the rollcage legs so I need a baby seat in the front to cover everyone but not needed yet.

Marc

I had to sell my tomcat because I have children now believe me I tried everything to keep it there is no way it can work.

Our other car is a 90 (45) now you can get two adults, two children and a dog in but there is no other room so we have a tool box sankey for camping trips.

I did buy a 110 when I sold the tomcat it will do everything you want but I sold Mine to build an ibex 300 which I have precious little time to do it.

The bottom line is you can make do with a 90 (especially if it's only one child) but you may end up with a trailer. A discovery/range rover would be better but rusty and the boot is surprisingly small with child parafinala. A 110 makes more sence if a second child is planned for the future they aren't as big as you thing, a mondeo saloon is actually slightly bigger and it's a lot easier to put a child seat in a 110 csw than a 90.

Mike

Congratulations John.

We managed with the 90 hard top with one child. Bear in mind that I also had a gas tank gobbling space in the rear load area, although this also became a good foot rest as the littl'un grew. Like your truck, mine was an auto, so centre seat use was not an option.

I fitted an Exmoor Trim forward facing seat, and genuine LR seat belt fixing to the upper body, and hugely over engineered fixings for the floor mounting. This is OK for one in the back, but not two. Given that the LR was used for family off roading, and not the main family car we didn't tend to take the buggy anywhere in the LR.

I concur 100% with Dave on the ability to work on the truck completely evaporating once the baby arrives. Our second one is also 3 months, so weekends are taken up, as are most weekday evenings.

Luckily I got most things done to my 110 before daughter #2 arrived, but crucially it is still missing a fourth seat!

If you think you could orchestrate a chassis change before D-day, I'd say stick with the 90, especially given what you use it for. You have good family cars already for the day to day stuff, so there isn't really the need for the practical Discovery ;)

Just a point the middle seat and side facing seats are not legal for under 12's to use iirc. Middle due to no lap and diagonal seat belt for the baby/child seat and there not allow in side facing regardless of seats belt type so I believe. Oh and even the early exmoor forward facing seats (which I use) are not approved for baby/child seat use.

Mike

I use the Ninety for laning, tip runs, very occasional overlanding (eg Morocco in May 2014), towing things about etc. We've got two Volvos and a Lotus so it's hardly an essential vehicle in the fleet! The issue with building a truck is that I'm commuting 3hrs each day (by Volvo), which doesn't leave much time for spanner in.

I think you have answered your own question and I cannot see any problem which a disco or tornado would be the answer to.

None of the above activities detailed for your 90 are going to include a newborn. You already have two adequate daily drivers with ample space for baby paraphernalia. At some point in the next year or two get a decent forward facing rear seat, perhaps with a quick release option for the tip runs. Between now and then get the 90 rebuilt onto a new chassis, either get tornado to do it - fairly local to your parents iirc, or get marsie to do it - he's local to one of the big chassis manufacturers :)

Oh I was just about to look at LR baby seats! Not vey comfortable but the second adult could use the centre or rear seat and the baby seat in the front passenger seat with full belt? I am looking into the legality of making my own Isofix as a S1 has no std seat belt fixings anyway!

Great thread in Mumsnet topic

baby car seat for Land Rover Defender - any recommendations?

LR dealers talk about removing bulkhead to make room for a seat behind gearlever?

I'm weighing up the same thing. Keep the 90 just for me really or get a disco to take some children. Disco safety level has got to be better than a 90 (although old ones will still be poor) yes it's built from girders but that's the problem no squishy bits spreading the Impact force. 5th gear ran a discovery into a MPV as I remember it and the disco experienced the more G.

Keep the 90! Re-chassis when REALLY necessary (possibly just pay someone else to do it?), fit one or two forward facing rear seats and consider either a roof box, or perhaps you could make something like one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4ae5r4Z4uo

To fit the back door?

I sold my 90 because I couldn't be bothered with the work that would need doing in the next couple of years - and regret it rather too often! I have a very good Td5 110 - but keep thinking I'd rather have a 90!

Congrats - by the way!

Si

First of all congratulations. Now then like it already been said time just vanishes when you have kids. I don't know how often you plan to go offroad/green laning when little one comes along and i don't know what people think is an acceptable age to take kids offroading but it might be a while before you need three seats in the 90.

I would say keep the 90 and get the work done to it and then re-think in a year or so if it suits your needs. At least then with the work done it will easy to sell and you will get more money for it.

I take both my girls (with and without the wife) off roading both in proper child seats. Gentle green laning from 1 year old (half day and extra padding around head). The eldest is now 4 and she's fine with your average site day but I don't play as hard with the girls in the truck.

Mike

Definitely congratulations !

I kept my 90 - and my girl has just turned 3. I have almost no time to work on it too ... ?

The 90 is a bit small - but I couldn't bring myself to get a 110.

At the moments my wife travels in the back in a side facing seat - with my daughter in the front.

I have though bought a lock and fold forward facing rear seat to put in in - and the plan is to put one of those 'bare boxes' on the other side - to get some storage back and see how we go on. If it's nowhere near enough then I'll look at a roof box I think.

We have another car too - but we all seem to prefer to go in the 90.

I genuinely don't understand the negativity around 110's in this context.

Yes they are longer (obviously) & a bit heavier but you soon get used to that.

If we were talking about the best thing to drop into a bomb hole then of course a 110 isn't it but for a green lane you would drive with kids on board?

I actually found my 110 much nicer for green lanes smoother and more comfortable, yes sometimes you need to shunt but to be honest if you can't drive a lane in a 110 then I question whether it should be driven with kids if at all. I loved mine the only reason I sold it was I didn't want a "normal" car and an ibex (mine is the same size as a 110) came up. My 110 had a 2" lift, 33's and a pto winch it was surprisingly capable.

Mike

I think they are very capable - I've had occasions where my front wheels haven't cleared an obstacle before the back wheels are hitting it ..... Whereas a 110 has been able to drive it's front wheels over from the rear wheels and then pull the rear wheels over with the front.

On the laning thing - there aren't many, but by way (pun intended) of an example - Gatescarth pass is run on a permit and only vehicles with less than 100" can drive it.

It was a head and heart thing for me - head said 110 - heart said 90, and at the end of the day I've got to enjoy driving it.

Thanks guys. It sounds like we may survive parenthood with only two Volvos for our essential mileage(!) so the LandRover slot is just as a two-seater for a few years. That means I don't need a Disco or 110 in the near term.

Several of you mentioned front-facing rear seats but I have a cage in the rear. I need to see which galv chassis companies will add cage mounts, ideally so I can move the rear stays onto the wheelboxes and through onto the ends of the rear crossmember. Then I need to find (several weekends or) a rebuilder who I trust enough to give my truck to!

Either my Ninety or a Tornado would be a 2 - seater, but I guess the Ninety gives more options and has a better resale value (esp as it's 30 yrs old so could be sold or exported if it was on a new chassis).