Major low point

Shackleton

Half hoping I'm jumping to conclusions but it looks like my D2 has won the battle. The sump is empty and I can't imagine where the oil is getting out other than from between the head and the block. Either the head died or I didn't hit the torque angles as well as I thought I did. Looks like it'll be push bike for the coming months, my business is barely feeding me at the moment.

post-1811-0-93735300-1423746091_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-07744500-1423746355_thumb.jpg

The good news is that the oil filter adaptor cracked. The bad news is I'm a plonker. In my defence I'd never heard of that. You can see it in the photo, but much more difficult with the naked eye unless the engine is running, at which point it flows like an open wound.

I was meticulous with the torque wrench and the gasket was new, plus it's been maybe 3k miles since. It must have been fatigued and the sub zero cold snap probably didn't help. Thanks zander and Dave ;)

btw lads there's an interesting thread on aulro where a guy did away with the centrifuge altogether, fitted a motorsport type remote cartridge adaptor to the conventional filter housing and uses a ford Z9 filter with greatly increased access and an anti drain valve.

post-1811-0-48371100-1423848521_thumb.jpg

Is that rtv sealer in that joint ? I'd try and avoid using it on any oil retaining gasket , if a piece comes loose

it can find it's way into the oil galleries. I heard of a Tdi that had some get as far as the piston spray jet blocking one and

causing piston meltdown

hth

Steveb

Not RTV Steve it's Hylomar 3400, the stuff spec'd for the cam carrier and there's only coolant behind that joint so it should be ok. It's only supposed to go off when in contact with metal in an anaerobic condition so I think that means that anything outside a joint stays relatively soft. I must check that tomorrow. Thanks though, it's another odd but scary example of stuff that can go wrong.

Maybe I dropped it Nick, but I don't remember anything like that. Given it's oozing yellow liquids now I'd say it must have been passing when the young priest jumped out the window at the end of the Exorcist. It is satan's chariot after all. I can't wait for the day I can get back in the RR.

Thanks stud I actually did a bit of cold calling this afternoon and there's at least one promising lead. fingers crossed :)

PS I've had to buy a fairly grubby looking used housing off ebay, hopefully it's in decent nick. Interestingly enough the listing said "no signs of cracks"

• Like 1

A beautiful day here today so I took the opportunity to prep for the parts arriving. This crack seems so odd to me, there's no sign of it on the face of the housing. Oh and btw there's still at least 4L of oil in a Td5's sump even when it's not registering on the dipstick.

FYI:

post-1811-0-42542000-1423934097_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-61814800-1423934105_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-75512900-1423934114_thumb.jpg

post-1811-0-62307400-1423934127_thumb.jpg

Ohhhhh Mo, that comment was well below the belt, or dipstick ! and I agree with all the above, there is no way a 10mm head bolt would crack that casting, I guess George you just had a shoddy casting or at some stage it has been given a wack or has been dropped.

yep, back to normal. I'm just trying to make a proper start for myself this year and got a fright because I need transport for my equipment. This car has persistently found new ways to test my resolve.

Anyway, yeah I'm a little red in the face that I instantly presumed the worst but if you saw the list of work and time I've put into this thing, it's ridiculous. Thinking about it now put me in mind of Murphy's Law and I found this great quote from Alfred Holt. I think it relates pretty well to my trouble, if not to the original idea of LR's in general:

"It is found that anything that can go wrong [at sea] generally does go wrong sooner or later, so it is not to be wondered that owners prefer the safe to the scientific .... Sufficient stress can hardly be laid on the advantages of simplicity. The human factor cannot be safely neglected in planning machinery. If attention is to be obtained, the engine must be such that the engineer will be disposed to attend to it."