Wright off road matting

I have recently found that the addition of a hood or similar item of clothing draped over the front end of the tunnel makes a huge difference. There is nothing really there on mine. I think for me a WORD mat would definitely make that difference but for some who already have a decent mat over the tunnel probably won't see as much benefit

I would describe mine as a Night & Day difference! Maybe not so much at low speeds - but being able to hold a conversation at 70mph is a revelation!

Mine had no bulkhead soundproofing from the factory, just floor mats at covering on the seat-box. Apart from the Wright Matting, there is still nothing on the bulkhead. I think the covering on the engine side of the bulkhead would make a decent difference - but it's too much hassle to fit.

Si

• 4 years later...

@reb78 the pictures on this thread have been lost. Do you still have them? The front cab of my 90 is completely empty at the moment other than dynamat style sound deadening everywhere I can get it

I am thinking this would help with sound but also smarten things up a good bit. This pitures on the wright web site are rubbish!

Are there any other options out there?

Strangely I do. I saved all of the photobucket pictures before they alienated all members and I deleted my account!

Here you go:

94EF8708-D5A9-4A8B-A376-E09860D7C78F_zpsgnp4elmv.thumb.jpg.76e0d1004b0f2ae81e81839f72e4bd2b.jpg

797A4811-C3B6-465C-A2E2-437AEA1DDDF1_zpskf34i8nz.jpg.bc2de8c3ce043f131f77fbd257270582.jpg

CD969D56-3BDA-44E6-93C2-F1D87D2FFB9C_zpse8tiitys.thumb.jpg.e381b53f9141f98d23726f0fe44448cd.jpg

I am still unsure how I should have cut the piece that sits on top of the seatbox to allow access to the underseat storage, but have a good think about this before you take a knife to it. Used the lids as templates, but this makes re-fitting them really hard and I think I should have made them wider. One criticism is that if you have to take the floor panels out, the whole lot has to come out, but that isnt the mattings fault and was more a problem for me given that my previous gearbox had regular failures every two years and had to come off for one reason or another (I wont mention where that box came from - thats all in another thread....!)

Mo - my sills are a lot tidier now!

• Like 1

Arrghh! Reb I was hoping it would not look so good as it is such a large chunk of money (£470 now on the exmoor website) but it looks really clean and professional. I have spent so much money on mine that it is bordering on silly for what is still a rough old Land Rover but this does look to be a nice final touch to the front

I don't think there are any other options out there?

Thanks for the pictures though!

On 3/25/2020 at 6:15 PM, L19MUD said:

Arrghh! Reb I was hoping it would not look so good as it is such a large chunk of money (£470 now on the exmoor website) but it looks really clean and professional. I have spent so much money on mine that it is bordering on silly for what is still a rough old Land Rover but this does look to be a nice final touch to the front

Haha! Sorry!

Edited by reb78

On 3/25/2020 at 7:52 PM, L19MUD said:

It might be worth emailing Drew directly? I sent him an email a week or so ago because of the 6x6 which has an LT95 but no clue what the tunnel is and he responded very quickly.

• Like 1

Yes, contact him directly, you will get a better price, I did the same. Very happy about it but that's mostly about the reduction in noise, since you already applied sound deadening matting, I'm not sure if it will make a big difference and how much room will be left between your knees and the steering wheel :D

3 hours ago, Koen110 said:

Yes, contact him directly, you will get a better price, I did the same. Very happy about it but that's mostly about the reduction in noise, since you already applied sound deadening matting, I'm not sure if it will make a big difference and how much room will be left between your knees and the steering wheel :D

I also want it to tidy up the seatbox which had very worn original trim on it before I removed and fitted the sound deadening. My mats are also very badly worn.

The sound deadening is only 1-2mm thick so I don't have a space issue. I think even with this the standard spacers on the seats wont have to be added to. Added to that I am a righ short arse so it makes little difference!!

Would you mind dropping me a PM with the price you paid?

8 minutes ago, L19MUD said:

The sound deadening is only 1-2mm thick so I don't have a space issue. I think even with this the standard spacers on the seats wont have to be added to. Added to that I am a righ short arse so it makes little difference!!

You can see in my pics - i drilled holes for the seat bolts and the seat spacers are the same depth as these holes through the matting on the seatbox.

• 8 months later...

A bit of a thread resurrection here, I have this kit for a 110 but noticed while it is out of the vehicle as she is being rebuilt that the underside of the mats is foam that has not been completed sealed by the rubber. Would it be worth sealing that with a liquid rubber spray before refitting? Or what else could I use?

On 5/28/2015 at 10:14 AM, rick said:

Thanks for this, wanted to get these mats for a while now, but it's exxy with freight getting them to the other side of the world.

The only thing that concerns me, other than you blokes noticing not too much change in noise levels, is the build up of condensation underneath considerering how badly the Defender leaks.

At the moment it's easy to rip out an offending floor mat and let things dry.

With the one piece setup, that isn't quite as easy.......

When your not using the landy, just lift the floor matting and place a large rock under it on each footwell, then air can get in and dry it out.
Been doing it for years, works well enough.

I'd add I love this kit, I'm mostly in hot areas, so it stops a lot of heat coming into the cab.
For the biggest sound differences:
- first seal EVERY tiny or large hole coming into the cab, so for example use dum dum or silicon around the floor panels, the gearbox tunnel joins etc etc. Literally anywhere you could poke a toothpick through. On a dark night shine a torch through each potential gap and see what comes out the other side
This will make a good difference, if it doesn't make sense, find a room next to a busy road, then open the window just a fraction and notice how much noise comes in.
- recognise that if there is maybe 3-4 times too much noise in your cab, this matting is helping to block 1-2 of these noise sources, you still need to work on the others like the load area in the back, roof, door seals etc

1 hour ago, Mo Murphy said:

I'm looking forward to getting mine ! I ordered on the 1st of Sept. so it's been a long wait but I expect covid is playing havoc with Drew's production schedule.

Waiting on ordered new tyres too, bloody covid.

And the French! 

Mo

Covid took my shock ETA from 8 weeks to 16 :( 

On 12/22/2020 at 7:56 PM, soutie said:

A bit of a thread resurrection here, I have this kit for a 110 but noticed while it is out of the vehicle as she is being rebuilt that the underside of the mats is foam that has not been completed sealed by the rubber. Would it be worth sealing that with a liquid rubber spray before refitting? Or what else could I use?

I think this could be a really good idea.

I was always told that this closed cell foam couldnt soak up water. Mine is like a sponge - its soaked a lot of the winter. My floors have been up and down so many times due to previous gearbox issues that I stopped sorting the seals properly. So... its my fault to an extent. I do the 'put a rock under to dry it out' thing but thats a real pain when I drive the 110 daily and the weather is wet for 4 months of winter! If the matting didnt hold the water, it would be easier to keep dry so I reckon sealing it with liquid rubber might be a bonus... 

Can you keep us posted if you do - what you use/how it goes/whether its effective etc...?

• 1 month later...

Mats out for pressure washing. Even after a week the foam under the mat still had water in them. Hence the sanding marks as a heat gun seals the foam keeping the water underneath it. Once sanded used the wife hair dryer to dry the foam out. I purchased liquid latex from a well know reseller site. The bar of soap is so that the bristles on the brush do not clump. 

The first photo with the latex is after the first coat. The foam soaked it up like a bath sponge. The last photo is the 3rd coat. I am now on the 5th coat and still have about 200 ml of the latex left. I will post up photos once fully dried and then fitted.

20210123_143731.jpg

20210205_095428.jpg

20210205_095417.jpg

20210205_104317.jpg

20210205_132028.jpg

Edited by soutie
Adding comments