Road Trip to France - Who said Land Rovers are unreliable?!

wood-gee

Got back this weekend from a 2000 mile road trip to the south of France to go surfing so thought I'd post a few pictures as I thought people on here might appreciate seeing my landy going on adventures. Contrary to the expectations of my work colleagues and quite frankly myself it didn't break down once, with the worst issue being a windscreen wiper falling off!

IMAG0504.jpg

IMAG0540.jpg

11535911_10153447072717439_2461873357389

• Like 1

I agree, Land Rovers are as reliable as any other 4WD, but it all comes down to preparation. I've now done a tad over 230,000 kilometres in the Australian bush on at times some absolutely demented tracks and just driving overland off the track and over the desert.

The only failures that I've had in all that time (5 years) and distance are :-

2013 A broken oil cooler (corrugation vibrations)

2015 A cracked rear drivers side brake line (again, corrugations)

2012-15 Three punctures due to spinifex grass spikes.

2012 Auxiliary Battery failure (low acid/water) due to constant winching

2015 Loss of two "D" shackles - vibrations.

2015 Broken LH indicator lens - due to mulga bushes not jumping out of the way.

I always have a garage carry out a "spanner check" before I go just to give the car a second set of eyes, you can see things and yet because of your familiarity you never see them.

Great pics and happy traveling

Preventative maintenance, something most people don't bother doing.. I don't think either of our Series 3's have ever let us down. Occasional flat batteries, a trip on a flatbed which to be fair was more of a precaution than anything else, she still drove in 4 our of 5 gears.

• Like 1

nicely done!

my housemates and a few other uni friends are heading fo morocco at the end of this month, absolutely gutted that i can't go with them as i start work soon. I have every faith that (after a good old check over and full service) my truck should make it that distance. it has only let me down once since i put it on the road in 2010, and that was due to me ignoring the need for maintenance because i "didnt have the time"

Excwellent decision. I bet your trip was a lot more fun that if you'd done it in a Eurobox.

Preventative maintenance, something most people don't bother doing..

What EJ said ^^^

There seems to be some unwritten practice - once a car reaches a certain age, a greater percentage of owners skimp on essential servicing. I think Landrovers in general are especially afflicted by this behaviour.

• Like 1

Fair play to doing it in a Series, I'm hopefully doing a similar trip in a ragtop 90 this summer, possibly heading over into Northern Italy also.

I mentioned a topless road-trip to the GF and received a slap...then she realised I was talking about the Land Rover :rofl:

Where did you visit and how long did it take?

We went to moiliets plage, which is like an hour and a bit north of Biarritz, was there for a week, of which the surf was sick for the first half of the week although sadly dropped off at the end. Took around 24h down including ferry time, maybe 27 back but that's including 2 hours wait for the ferry, drove non stop with me and my mate switching driving and third mate in the middle in charge of tunes and navigation.

With regards to what mickeyw said, it really was, I did this same trip with my mate in a people carrier last year and did all down the south coast of France in a skoda last year and the landy was far more of an adventure, plus it's second to none the feeling of driving a car you've put together yourself such a long way.

Wholly agree on what's everyone's said about reliability, I think everything that's gone wrong with my landy since having it on the road has been a direct result of poor workmanship or lack of maintenance, but even so there's sadly a stereotype for them being unreliable.

• Like 1

It's true.

Derv. It's a 200tdi, w/overdrive and 3.54 diffs, so actually pretty good, got just over 40mpg a few weeks before the trip doing a drive home to Scotland and back, need to figure out mpg from trip but expecting 30-35 with the boards on tops. Without a roof was a revelation too, takes sounds from noisey to agreeable, albeit wind noise is a good deal more.

Some say that your choice of gearing would be too much for a Series LR, but I disagree. I imagine it provided nicely relaxed cruising RPM, although to do the trip in 24 hours you must have gone mostly Autoroute, which is perhaps less relaxing.

Did you manage the entire trip sans roof?

• 2 weeks later...

Have always had tremendous reliability with my land-rovers over more than 4 decades, and 100' s of thousands of miles . Last trip over 3500kms thru Germany . to Prague and back , couldn't even top oil or water up . In 15 years traveling to and in Australia , 1 puncture, 1 uni joint , and 1 broken s/absorber . remember the 6 P's :)

Our's work for a living - and work hard.. This is the Ninety en route from Holland with 6.2 tonnes trainweight in Feb.

2015-02-22OntheRoadtoHome4-Nade2egendarm

A 2,000 miles round trip and did well.

The Series Hybrid and 110 HT are also kept busy. But we try to keep up the maintenance to the best we can as I hate it when somebody is stranded en route..

It is all about the old saying : look after them and they'll look after you..

That's awesome! I would have loved to do this in my old Lightweight, many moons ago!

I've done it in the Discovery since, and it performed faultlessly.

As everyone has said, "it's all in the preparation"... though a tad amount of luck helps ;-)

• 1 month later...

Just totalled up the mileage in my 110 round Europe in the last ten years, 89000 miles (1994 110 300tdi).

Breakdowns:

Starter Motor changed in Germany

Indicators packed up in Belgium sorted in 10 mins new 4 way flasher switch

Lift pump in Croatia- changed in car park

That's it, its all about preparation sadly which many seem to forget.

Regards

Keith

• Like 1