Project Fuel Tank

Day's not going quite according to plan but I have now got the last bits for the main body of the tank. You can see how the original tank baffle sort of sits in my spare tank now...

001_2.jpg

002_2.jpg

It's shaped a bit differently but you get the idea. I was hoping to get on and weld it up today, but the weather's not great, and I've a delivery coming sometime during dinnertime...no idea what it is..dog food came yesterday so it's a bit of a mystery!

I've finished off welding up the main body of the tank this morning, now it's ready for the rear mounting bracket, pressure test, trial fit and front/side mounting brackets, plus paint. I'm going to start some of the painting as soon as it's pressure tested, just leaving the sides where the front mounts are going to be and a suitable point for earthing.

This shows the pads I've welded to the inside for the sender unit and the pick-up and return pipes

001_3.jpg

And the fully welded main tank

013.jpg

014.jpg

If Holly works from home tomorrow I'll have a measure for where the rear mount needs to be and what size it is and go and see if I can get a bit of plate cut for it ready for the end of the week. Still going to be a little while before it's ready to fit but it should be in within the next month or so. I've managed to loose my spare pick-up pipe somewhere...put it down and now can't find it.....

• 4 weeks later...

I've given the tank a test at 4 PSI this morning which it's failed, I've got a number of pin holes on the top plates where welds have started and finished. Annoyingly I've also got a leak on the filler neck and one of the drain tubes, which I didn't expect as they're welded both sides fully. I'll hopefully pick it up Thursday weather permitting and tackle them, should be good then.

Start of fitting-new-tank week, been a bit delayed after spending two mornings pressure testing and curing leaks. I've got one corner that I must have ground out and re welded a dozen times and it still kept blowing bubbles. There's still a tiny weep there now but the tanks not normally pressurized, so a few coats of paint and hopefully it'll be fine. I'll no where to look first if it does start leaking. I've lit the stove in the conservatory to warm it up so I can get some more paint on it, I had hoped to have that done already, so The 109 is under the carport ready to start, but I've not pulled the old tank yet just in case. The wife will need the 88 to go to work next week so if I need anything I'll need The 109, but I think I've got everything anyway.

You could get some silver solder (something like easy-flow) and run it along the suspect area. Done with sufficient heat and a proper flux, it seeks out all the little pin prick holes and sticks much better than paint...

Peening/caulking it with a small, blunt punch around the leaks might help too, depending on their location and size. I've been learning the dark arts of loco boiler making, which involves sealing lots of metal to metal joints. It still amazes me that a rivet or even a stay in a threaded hole can be permanently sealed using no sealant, against 200psi steam, over hundreds of thermal expansion cycles just by impacting the plate around the joint. And it's all worked cold!

Ambersil make dye penetrant & developer in aerosols for not bad money (sold by many places including RS), although now you've welded the lid on it may not be practical. POR15 make a fuel tank sealer you pour in & slosh around. As said above, very few paints or sealants will live in fuel permanently, even ones which are "fuel tolerant".

I don't think it's a big leak, and I don't *think* it's actually going to cause a problem in service. At the moment I'm building up the mounting brackets and getting the pickups fitted to the tank. While having warm-up and tea breaks, I've been looking at the liquid tank sealers, that will be my most likely answer to it.

Have you tried running a 2nd bead over the top of the leaky weld? Might just do the trick.

Yup...tried that! Must have ground it out a dozen times and rewelded it!

Would there be anything wrong with makeing a cut with a thin cuttingdisc where the two panels meet and then make a new hot weld ?

Yup...and that!

Well it's nearly all in. Hangers are made and waiting for paint to dry, tank mounts have been made and welded on. Need to make my special bolts in the morning, drill the rear holes and it'll be fitted before lunch...hopefully permanently! Had to drop the exhaust off to get the mounts better but I'm okay with that. I like the 300 exhaust setup and it's easy enough to drop, and that's the bit that's likely to get changed any time, rather than the tank