Final rebuild thoughts - springs

Ok so I have just ordered the Gwyn Lewis Challenge mounting kit - all galvanised front and rear locators, turrets, retainers etc etc which leaves me with just springs and dampers to source.

I totally accept that there are numerous threads discussion spring damper setups as it is entirely down to individual usage and preference. However I still like the thoughts. My 110 has a camper conversion, HD roofrack, HD winch bumper and winch. All in all about 2.3 t kerb weight now with a lot of that being hard wood as part of the camper built inside the rear tub. It was running on the standard LR front and rear springs with the rear helper springs (as found on 130s). I'm not going for any extreme offroad lifting but am considering 1" higher springs (The standard Gwyn Lewis Challenge suspension is for std to 2" height). Vehhicle predominatantly road use but she resides on a farm so there is constant cornish track and field driving. The most off roading she does is standard greenlaning but more so when I go on camping expeditions to Scotland or Morrocco (most notable example being given free reign to roam a Scottish mountain on Coigach penisula which was very rugged terrain of all types. However, on my own at least, I never risk going anywhere I could get stuck so extraordinary axle articulation isn't something I need).

I've been considering Old Man Emu, & Extreme4x4 and notice FamousFour and Devon4x4 seem to do their own springs. Otherwise it's all Britpart & Bearmach it seems. Of more interest though is quality and rating (lb/inch). As I originally had the rear helper springs I'm thinking of getting 1" rears with maybe 400 to 430 lb/inch which I assume would be similar to LR original with helper springs with std 1" fronts. I know OME do this but I often hear its "quite stiff" as designed for travelling fast on dirt roads (Ozzi style). Currently looking at The D44 "Devo-tech" springs.......or do I just go cheaper ****part???

Anyway if anyone has similar weight 110 I'd be interested in opinions on what rating they with std to 1 inch lifts even if it is reviving numerous old threads......

I would just fit the HD springs designed for a 110, IMHO 2.3t isn't all that heavy to warrant helpers but you will find anti roll bars will make a big difference if you don't have them already. If your planning on going far afield not needing much longer shockers if you break one of yours is always useful.

On road with farm and rough track driving is exactly what LR had in mind when they designed the springs.

Will.

Sounds like you're in the same territory as me. My lifting roof and additional equipment - water tanks, fridge, sink, extra fuel, timber furniture fittings, extra battery etc has raised base weight considerably.

I've previously fitted HD rear springs - too hard unless way heavier load, and various combinations of non-LR springs and Bilstein or similar shocks, which were all too hard and gave me real grief on very rough tracks.

Like you I'm not doing anything likely to get me into too much trouble but some of the tracks I've had to use to get to work have been little better than river beds (in West Highlands on on some of the western isles). I needed a set up that was secure on-road, and provided sufficient damping when off.

For this build I opted for standard original parts LR fronts and rear springs with AirLift bags in the back, and standard cheap'n'cheerful Armstrong dampers all round. It works well and when I added the Superpro bushes all round it improved even more.

If I was to change anything it would be to have fitted +1" on the rear as this would have given a bit more leeway, but as it is I've not yet come anywhere near whacking the bumpstops when fully loaded and the extra 1' is really only to accommodate the pile of bikes I sometimes have hanging out of the rear on a sturdy rear-wheel-mounted carrier which I can feel noticeably pulling the tail end down.

You'll maybe need to up the spring strength for the winch and bumper (which I don't have) but I guess what I'm trying to say, and echoing others thoughts, is that I don't think you'll need to stray too far from standard stuff to accommodate your needs relatively easily.

I would just fit the HD springs designed for a 110, IMHO 2.3t isn't all that heavy to warrant helpers but you will find anti roll bars will make a big difference if you don't have them already. If your planning on going far afield not needing much longer shockers if you break one of yours is always useful.

On road with farm and rough track driving is exactly what LR had in mind when they designed the springs.

Will.

Can agree with this. I watched a hill farmer come down off the Mamores above Kinlochleven on a very rough hill track in his 110 one day with a load of stuff in the back and the degree of spring flex and body articulation was astonishing - all on standard springs and shocks. I witnessed the same on the Isle of Rum with a bunch of deer stalkers as they gave the bog standard 110 a real work out demonstrating quite ridiculous agility with a big load on board. Doesn't need to be fancy to work well.

Sorry for the slight divergance from topic.

I've just had a look at the spring company cackshifter mentioned - nearly spilled my coffee I did. Worth a read even if you don't want a set of off road or street lowering springs :hysterical:

I'm looking at the Devotech 1" fronts (220lb/in - https://www.devon4x4.com/devo-tech-coil-springs-defender-disco-1-rr-classic-front-2-lift-58972.html) with the Devotech 1" to 2" 110 rear (330lb/in - https://www.devon4x4.com/devo-tech-coil-springs-defender-disco-1-rr-classic-front-2-lift-58976.html)

I'm assuming that even though the rear says 1 to 2" the ride height would be approx level......

All the passengers in the departure lounge moved away from me a bit as I read this -----)

If your Clio rolls like a jelly when your doing donuts in Tesco’s car park - steal a mobile and phone us first

:-)

Sorry for the slight divergance from topic.

I've just had a look at the spring company cackshifter mentioned - nearly spilled my coffee I did. Worth a read even if you don't want a set of off road or street lowering springs :hysterical:

The off road page comments re the Defender made me smile, but the Vitara comment is brilliant!

Will.

This pretty much sums it up.

HD fronts, (which are actually 90 rears) and 110 td5 station wagon dual rate rears.

This is what I ended up with on my 110 utility, finished off with a set of Britpart cellular dynamic dampers.

The springs came from Newbury sort out, fronts brand new Allmakes, £15 and the rears nearly new take offs £10.

The dampers came from paddocks at about £120 for all 4, they match the spring rates perfectly. They've been on three years and have been faultless, paint still looks like new (threw away the appalling polybushes they came with though).

A complete suspension system that works really well for about the same price as some people pay for one damper!

• Like 1

Are you running anti roll bars? I'd say fit a rear one at least to deal with the heavy weight on the roof. First work out your current spring rates from the red90 webpage (sorry cant post links from this computer).

decide what spring rate you'd like, then worry about the length. There are loads of options on this page.

The helper springs will allow you to have pretty soft springs for normal driving, and the double spring arrangement will make it work well with a big load too.

Let us know your current rates, and whether you'd want them stiffer, or you are just looking to change the height.

Daan

Are you running anti roll bars? I'd say fit a rear one at least to deal with the heavy weight on the roof. First work out your current spring rates from the red90 webpage (sorry cant post links from this computer).

decide what spring rate you'd like, then worry about the length. There are loads of options on this page.

The helper springs will allow you to have pretty soft springs for normal driving, and the double spring arrangement will make it work well with a big load too.

Let us know your current rates, and whether you'd want them stiffer, or you are just looking to change the height.

Daan

I'm actually now trying to confirm precisely what I currently have! Not much markings or colour on the springs. I'm 99% certain the rears are standard LR 110 (NRC6904 - 330lb/in & NRC6389 - 330lb/in) plus helper springs (RRC3266 - additional 140lb/in).

I have no idea about the fronts. Based on red90 (http://www.red90.ca/rovers/springinfo.html) I'd say they have to be the heavier duty (220lb/in) as I have the big ARB HD winch bumper (with bull bars) and a milemarker hydraulic winch which I'd ssume would cause the front to sag using normal 155lb/in D110 fronts

Daan

I actually like the current stiffness but maybe due to anti-roll bar and the helper springs. I was just looking for a 1" raise as I think with std height and all my weight she sits just fractionally lower than std height

Are the front springs compressed the first 3 coils fully? In that case you have the 155/215 progressive rate. You can jack up the front by fitting spring isolators top and bottom. This adds 20mm.

Daan

You had some done then Cackshifter? :)

I bought a pair of their standard 90 front springs, I didn't want them stupidly stiff or lifted and I wanted to buy UK built if at all possible. It's hard to find that, so I contacted them, they said their standard stuff is sold through FlatDog, but if you wanted anything 'special' to get back in touch, as indeed their website suggests. So far they've been great. That was a year or so ago, so I am assuming that the FlatDog arrangement still stands.

Well I've decided to take all the advice and help (and now springs/dampers) from Gwyn Lewis. Had a great chat with him today and went and visited the landy and measured her current spring heights parked on the level. The Gwyn kit is designed to use long travel shocks for articulation but if not raising beyond 2" then standard mounts and +2" shocks can be used however kind of defies the purpose of getting the off road benifits of GL's kit.

I'll see how she feels without anti-roll bars and the MD OME spring shock setup. I'll retest with some weight on the roofrack. Gwyn sounded confident that road running without anti-roll bars will be fine with the OME and his setup - looking forward to it.

Either way from a personal point of view what a pleasure speaking with Gwyn was - could have chatted for ages on all kinds of things. Having spent too much of this week on the phone largely waiting and speaking with idiots I am more than happy with how its turned out so far.

• 2 weeks later...

My 110 is 2.6t curb weight, it's a little lighter now as I took of the ARB bumper and winch. I have GW long travel shocks and OME heavy duty spring on the front and Extra heavy duty on the back, I also fitted twin shocks on the rear. Had this set up for 6 years now and it's been fine, I carry allot of weight around with tools and materials, trailer towing etc all of gravel/mud roads.

Unloaded, it is a stiff ride, but with weight in it works well, so fully loaded. Good luck with your trip.

I kept the rear anti-roll bar on my 110, it never had a front one [no attachment on front axle] it handles very well.

Interesting Ralph. So when you are doing off-road recovery have you ever had a situation where your rear axle articulation has been compromised by the anti-roll bar?