Automotive circuit design.

skauldy

Thanks John, I've discovered I do overkill electrics ?

Mo

Me to but at least it won't catch fire. Though an interesting point I discovered from tsd cable size can be used to limit current flow ie on charging circuits or in tsd's case starter motors as he found out land rover down sized the cable to starter motor. He put a larger cable cable in and then took a while to work out why he literally kept blowing starters apart.

Mike

True - the factory split-charge on the ambulance mounts the relay under the driver's side wing, literally as long a run of cable as they could possibly have fitted, presumably so that you can't get enough current down it to melt the relay.

Anyway, battery cable added, voltage drops now highlighted, fuses default to RED if they're way OTT:

cablecalc

cablecalc_mob

I'm going to the shed! :P

• Like 1

Fridge - that's FANTASTIC!

While I'm quite capable of calculating it - I rarely do (for long cable runs anyway) - and end up using something heavier than it really needs.

Having this as a quick, easy calculator is great!

This is experimental code. You should not trust it. It may be an elaborate hoax.

Looks good to me though!

Si

Thanks guys, hope it's of some use to someone.

BTW if anyone has things they'd like to add in, the way it's written means I can paste in extra tables of cable ratings / fuses (or other things) and it will automatically highlight them.

Oh and if anyone has accurate numbers for the resistance of the cables quoted that would be groovy, I basically plucked them from a general purpose table found on the net and guessed the ones that fell between two sizes :ph34r:

The only thing I would say is I thought battery cable came in 16, 25, 35, 50, 70mm2 etc at least the stuff we use at work does though that is marine. Mind I'm not complaining as several have said I will be making lots of use of it. Thank you.

Mike

Much better, thanks Fridge :)

How's this on your phone Bowie?

http://fuddymuckers.co.uk/tools/cablecalc_mob.html

It wasn't that I wasn't happy, but if I went to that sort of trouble to make something, I would want it to be as accessible to all. Let's face it, if you have to go inside from the garage to calculate your wiring requirements rather than use your mobile, it just won't happen :)

I could suggest more, but I'm thinkng that might make *you* 'not happy' :P

Bowie - you know I'm joking :P

Mike - oddly, some people list 40mmsq cable rated at 240A and some list 35mmsq rated exactly the same... go figure! I didn't see any 50 or 70mm numbers but if you find some I can stick them in.

You mean like this: http://xkcd.com/1597/ :ph34r:

Sorry but git(hub) is not my idea of fun, mostly seems to be a device for obscuring any useful info about a project and failure to write any documentation. Plus, the entire "project" is three files - all the JS is in the page, it's only jQuery and NoUiSlider included. Just save the page + css from your browser and you've got everything.

• Like 1

True, github for windows/mac, the application, makes commits etc very, very easy.

No command line, no scripting etc...

Then... You can code share, collaborate, people can fork your work and make improvements, and even suggest, via pull requests improvements to the code.....

Fun... Maybe not, but it works very well, I use it every day for major web projects, and lots of smaller stuff too.

Could we put a link to the tool in the technical archive please (easy to find later).

The science of cables can be a right royal PIA... Different insulation may mean higher current rating as the cable is able to work warmer, ambient air can decrease cable rating (think engine temps... But then consider airflow too), then there is installation method (is it in a loom or free hanging, is it under a carpet etc.... Some of which will derate a cable as its not able to be cooled down

But the cable calc provided will work just fine with a bit of common sense consideration, thanks again

Rob

• Like 1