OT: Thinking about a new 4wd pickup. Experienced views invited :)

Before I bought my last Puma [2.2 110 XS USW] a couple of years or so ago I had a look around and test of the various 4wd crewcab pickups on offer in the UK and came very close to buying a 3.2 Ranger. I'm in the same position now and am again taken with the new Ranger and have been offered a deal on a new 2.2 auto.

On this occasion I don't have time to scope out the whole market so before deciding whether to sign on the dotted line on not I'd welcome opinions on what makes / models currently available in the UK are decent choice. The ability to tow 3.5 ton or thereabouts would be nice as would a decent warranty / reliability record and auto option too.

Hi Steve

New Hilux is shipping from July, and UK version is 3.5t and available with an auto...

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new-cars/2016-toyota-hilux-prices-specs-and-sale-date

cheers, Steve

I have four of those at work, very nice price of kit. Evolution rather than revolution but they are building on an already excellent product

I have a 60 plate Rodeo Denver Max Plus, 90k and I don't think it's ever had a none service part ^_^

We have a couple of 15 plate D-Max Blades at work, one on 36k the other on 15k, no problems so far. Nicery drive than my Rodeo which is agricultural in comparison. 3.5 tonne towing (but be careful, the early ones were rated at 3 tonne) if that's important and 35 mpg. 5 year warranty included and 3 services for an upfront £500.

We have a 15 plate Ford Wildtrak too, engine and heated screen lovely and lots of gadgets if that's your thing but at 12k it's already been recovered twice and you only get a 3yr warranty. Also most stuff on a Ford warranty is only covered for a year, I found that out when I had a Ranger. If you want to compare the two crawl underneath and look at the size of bolts, struts etc.

L200 can be run in 4wd on the road but they're ugly as sin, things like that don't usually bother me but I would have to park it around the corner if I had one. They don't 'look' as well made as the Isuzu but I have no experience of them.

New Nissan (NP300?) is coil sprung all around and has the all around camera etc but uses a Renault engine so I wouldn't touch one as I've had too many bad experiences with Renault engined Nissans.

Amarok is expensive but can be had with 4motion and coil sprung. They have the smallest engine but on paper one of the highest powers on paper and I've heard of people complaining of engine problems when they do lots of towing so maybe they're a bit too stressed?

Great wall steed - fantastic value as is the San Yong if they do what you need.

Toyota I think have fallen behind so we will see what the new one is like! Only 3.2 tonne towing at the moment but they claim it's being raised so that might have an impact on resale value of the 3.2 tonne versions.

There is a Fiat coming out which is a rebadged L200 so might be cheaper to buy and loose value quicker if you buying used (and despite the only change being the headlights looks a lot better than the L200) and a Mercedes coming out that's the Nissan coil sprung chassis but with a merc 4pot or V6 diesel or petrol hybrid... which work have already told me I can't have :( Renault are also bringing a version of the Nissan out.

Take your choice :)

For what it's worth.

I used to have an early D22 Nissan double cab which was a bit slow but very reliable. Would probably still have it had it not been shuffed into the central concrete barrier of the M4. Ended up on it's roof, written off but wife and I walked away.

Now I have an 58 plate L200 double cab. Had it for about 6 years and done close to 100k miles in my hands (135k in total). Done all things, from m-way to towing to carrying bricks and firewood, even been green laning around Salisbury Plain and used to set out trials it in. Maintenance? Er, what maintenance. OIl changes, bulbs, wiper blades, brake pads and a set of tyres. It has all the usual comforts, radio, bluetooth, heated stuff, eletrical stuff and somewhere to put your right elbow.

Sure it's not got a car like ride, but then if we are honest neither has a D110, which must be it's closest rival in terms of form and function.

Oh and did I mention 38mpg as an average? :)

The only gotcha is the need for commercial insurance which for me is a little under £300 a year and covers payload and towing (your own kit only).

New Nissan (NP300?) is coil sprung all around and has the all around camera etc but uses a Renault engine so I wouldn't touch one as I've had too many bad experiences with Renault engined Nissans.

And how long will the bushes in the five link rear suspension last if you are carry a bit of weight on a regular basis?

And how long will the bushes in the five link rear suspension last if you are carry a bit of weight on a regular basis?

I honestly don't know, reports I've read say it's the best thing ever unless you carry lots of weight, lets face it the average user rarely gets upto a tonne. Think about a farmer with a couple of bails or a builder with a few bags of sand and cement and some tools and your only talking 1 - 200 kg. I find forklifting a bulk bag of sand into them isn't that practical anyway as the big rear bumpers and tow bars they all have now stop the tailgate dropping flat although I have done it a few times and have the dents to prove :angry2: Also don't take them to a quarry, the loading in the 5 tonne shovel took gear pleasure in burying my shiny paint :glare: I tend to take the trailer for such things. The heaviest things I routinely carry in mine are mould tools which are 50 - 600kg so less than half capacity, although sometimes I carry more than one at a time but the car doesn't seem to care. The biggest problem with carrying weight is the lack of strong tie down points they give you. When I bought mine the dealer had stuck a load liner in it and dumped the tie down points in the glove box :angry2:

That said I believe the working spec Nissan comes with leafs?

One thing to add too, I believe light commercial vehicles are restricted to 50MPH single carriageways and 60mph dual carriageways unless they're 'dual purpose vehicles'

Its my understanding that a pickup can be a dual purpose vehicle if it's unladened weight is under 2040kg and has 4wd. The d-max kerb weight is under but the wildtrak is over.

If im correct then basically d-max can do 70 on thr a1 the wildtrak can only do 60! Which is pretty annoying especially as the specs cameras can distinguish vehicle type.

There's also an Arctic trucks edition of the dmax coming to dealers soon, not sure on thr exact spec but it has big tyres lifted suspension and wide arches.

There's also an m-sport ranger coming but I'm not sure what that entails.

Nothing really to add other than I think the Amarok looks the best especialy with some decent tyres.

I have been out all over the dales today and it struck me as I got near work again just how many defenders I had passed on my travels (~50) and how many people will be in a similar position to yourself. At work sales and manager types run Navaras, Rangers, isuzus and amaroks none seem to give any more bother than the others but I know they would all prefer a D4. It always strikes me how quickly you trailer can weigh 3500kg.

Following with interest.

Will.

Many thanks, some varied and interesting points here. TBH I'm still undecided but one of the factors will be that while I'm happy to wield spanners any day of the week but don't see why I should on a new vehicle, I'd like getting things fixed while the vehicle is still under warranty to be as hassle free as possible. This will include the location of the nearest dealers / service centre and the ease of getting the vehicle to and from them which is where Ford win over many of the others.

My limited experience of pickups (and watching a ranger off road) is that the turning circle is complete carp. Way worse than a 90 or 110.

Also tended to need some weight in the bed to gain equivalent traction off road.

But then I'm biased with two LR products.

But land rover don't sell a pickup so you can't buy a land rover product.

The problem I had with ford was that the commercial dealers were separate from the car dealers so you could have a courtesy car whilst your commercial ford was in. You could have a courtesy van but you had to book 3 months in advance as they were always promised to the big customers like network rail.

Not all ford dealers seem to work this way though ?

My limited experience of pickups (and watching a ranger off road) is that the turning circle is complete carp. Way worse than a 90 or 110.

Also tended to need some weight in the bed to gain equivalent traction off road.

But then I'm biased with two LR products.

Well yes I guess I'm a bit biased too having owned, maintained, modified and driven a variety of LR products for nigh on 40 years. I've also owned plenty of other makes and models too and everything has it's up and downsides, Land Rovers very much included. But I'm now looking for a new pickup and as been said JLR don't offer such a beast.

A very silly suggestion but what about the Maloo? :-)

Doing a bit of digging it's sold in the UK as the VXR8 Maloo. Is 4wd, certainly has plenty of power being a 6.2l V8. Downside is that despite being able to tow in Aus it hasn't been type approved here.

Do you need the second row of seats Steve? A farmer friend of mine has a D3 commercial and absolutely loves it. Happily tows well over the legal limit weight wise. And being a commercial has loss of room in the back. As he only needs extra seats occasionally he's looking at fitting the two rear most seats in as the space under the floor is still there.